Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Squad

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How is it that Robert Green is in the form of his life and can't make the squad, yet routinely made it when he was playing less well in the Championship?

Other than him there aren't players beating down the door who have been omitted. It was probably the easiest squad the RFP has ever had to pick.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree 100%

But I will be shocked if we do.

Owen and Heskey being out has made it easy for Mcclaren to recall the free scoring Rooney...

..just as SWPs injury will allow him to move Gerrard back out on the right so h can shoe-horn the oh-so-effective Frankie boy back into the middle.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
How is it that Robert Green is in the form of his life and can't make the squad, yet routinely made it when he was playing less well in the Championship?

Other than him there aren't players beating down the door who have been omitted. It was probably the easiest squad the RFP has ever had to pick.

However...one player who I believe should be worth consideration is Gareth Bale. IMHO he is a better left-back than Shorey and Phil Neville, he has pace, gets forward, is left-footed and can take a great free-kick.

Bale is Welsh.

Green has not been considered since his injury before the last World Cup. Carson is the current flavour of the month to be the next great English keeper and James has been in good enough form to justify being in the squad, so I guess Green misses out.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Whilst Robinson is not in great form, I am not convinced any of the others are the answer at present. Carson is still very young and has not played that many club games (and near to none for the club that owns him) and yet people are calling for him to replace Robinson. Is he in great form or is it just the knives are out for Robinson.

A bit of both, I guess the only reason he wont be dropped is the fact he has not f***ed up in a match that matters - The croatia game was an utter freak.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

However...one player who I believe should be worth consideration is Gareth Bale. IMHO he is a better left-back than Shorey and Phil Neville, he has pace, gets forward, is left-footed and can take a great free-kick.

If only Bale had not been capped by wales

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bale is Welsh.

Green has not been considered since his injury before the last World Cup. Carson is the current flavour of the month to be the next great English keeper and James has been in good enough form to justify being in the squad, so I guess Green misses out.

My issue with James is that he is like Robbo, you just Know something is round the corner that is rather retarded.
Also is recalling James really looking to the future?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Whilst Robinson is not in great form, I am not convinced any of the others are the answer at present. Carson is still very young and has not played that many club games (and near to none for the club that owns him) and yet people are calling for him to replace Robinson. Is he in great form or is it just the knives are out for Robinson.
If the knives are out for Robinson it is no ones fault but his own, he has been poor for a year and a half.

Right now I'd say Rob Green is the keeper in the best form, I'd place Robinson 4th, maybe 5th in those stakes.

Only one I disagree with is Johnson.

The problem is who with?
Johnson is very average, fairly quick and works hard but his touch and movment are not that great. He also has barely scored since Christmas.

I think Agbonlahor may be worth a squad place, I hate to say it but Kitson is playing alright and scored a couple of goals. They may or may not be good enough but the rest have already showed that they definitely aren't up to it.
Not a striker but i also wonder what Jermaine Pennant has to do to get in the squad.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
A bit of both, I guess the only reason he wont be dropped is the fact he has not f***ed up in a match that matters - The croatia game was an utter freak.

That is true. It comes back to the fact that currently there are not any outstanding keepers. When James was getting iffy, Robinson was talked up as the solution. Now Robinson's form is poor, so Carson is the man, yet when he suffers probably Green or Carson will be said to be the person England should have been picking.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If the knives are out for Robinson it is no ones fault but his own, he has been poor for a year and a half.

Right now I'd say Rob Green is the keeper in the best form, I'd place Robinson 4th, maybe 5th in those stakes.

Johnson is very average, fairly quick and works hard but his touch and movment are not that great. He also has barely scored since Christmas.

I think Agbonlahor may be worth a squad place, I hate to say it but Kitson is playing alright and scored a couple of goals. They may or may not be good enough but the rest have already showed that they definitely aren't up to it.
Not a striker but i also wonder what Jermaine Pennant has to do to get in the squad.

Agbonlahor is a very good shout.

Kitson? Sorry no, a poor mans Crouch.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

Whilst Robinson's form is not great, I do not think Green is any better as a keeper. In fact I would say he is not as good as an inform Robinson.

If all are fit I do think Robinson, Foster and Kirkland are probably the best keepers we have.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ok, my mistake, he's Welsh. Bloody shame though. I f***ing hate Ashley Cole.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Whilst Robinson's form is not great, I do not think Green is any better as a keeper. In fact I would say he is not as good as an inform Robinson.
Really??

For me Robinson has been a mess for a long time now, not just the glaring errors but also his positioning and his dealing with crosses have been shocking. I don't know what's happened to him but he is nowhere near the player he was when he won the number one shirt.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Really??

For me Robinson has been a mess for a long time now, not just the glaring errors but also his positioning and his dealing with crosses have been shocking. I don't know what's happened to him but he is nowhere near the player he was when he won the number one shirt.

I think where Robinson has been lucky is that in competitive games he has not yet made a really costly blunder.

Personally I am not convinced by Green, from what I have seen of him in his brief time on the pitch for England and the odd other game does not overly inspire me.

However of all the keepers around I think Kirkland was always the best of the bunch, but he seems to be completely out of contention at present.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
David James has been the best and most consistent English keeper in the Prem for at least two years. [Moment of madness last week notwithstanding :jester:] People need to forget the mistakes of 5/6 years ago, and give the guy a break.

And in answer to Kinky, who said that this would 'not be planning for the future'. What future? Why are the next two games any less important than ones in 3, 4 or 5 years' time. We need the points now.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I think where Robinson has been lucky is that in competitive games he has not yet made a really costly blunder.

Personally I am not convinced by Green, from what I have seen of him in his brief time on the pitch for England and the odd other game does not overly inspire me.

However of all the keepers around I think Kirkland was always the best of the bunch, but he seems to be completely out of contention at present.

Kirkland is always injured, hang he is fit now, but wait Frank, Owen and SWP are injured and in. Perhaps big Steve just does not love big Chris

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here