Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Squad v The Aussies

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One of the main reasons England have had recent test success is they have kept faith with a group of players relatively unscathed by past failures.

This policy is harsh on the likes of Thorpe, Caddick and (at a push) Gough but it gets results. Now is no time to be harking back to the past to get a quick fix.

In that context I can see why they have selected Anderson, but it is an unbelievable selection at this present time and very harsh on Tremlett. What exactly has he done wrong?

Surely if Anderson was in the selectors minds he could have featured in an England team earlier this summer?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
One of the main reasons England have had recent test success is they have kept faith with a group of players relatively unscathed by past failures.

This policy is harsh on the likes of Thorpe, Caddick and (at a push) Gough but it gets results. Now is no time to be harking back to the past to get a quick fix.

In that context I can see why they have selected Anderson, but it is an unbelievable selection at this present time and very harsh on Tremlett. What exactly has he done wrong?

Surely if Anderson was in the selectors minds he could have featured in an England team earlier this summer?

However they said to Anderson he was essentially going to play county games this year, after gaining a central contract. So maybe Tremlett was there to get a feel for the set up but was never likely to play?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Marc said:
England squad:
Michael Vaughan (captain)
James Anderson
Ian Bell
Paul Collingwood
Andrew Flintoff
Ashley Giles
Stephen Harmison
Matthew Hoggard
Geraint Jones
Simon Jones
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Strauss
Marcus Trescothick

No place for Owen OR Rooney? What the hell is Sven thinking?!?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Apparently Tremlett isn't the same bowler as he was at the beginning of the season. I think the reason Anderson got the nod over him is because Anderson is a similar type of bowler to Jones. If it had been Flintoff or Harmison who were injured, I think Tremlett would have got his chance.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hope Tremlett is strong enough to deal with this snub.

The fact is he has been dropped from an England squad picked for the most important test match for over 20 years for a bowler with erratic form.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
I hope Tremlett is strong enough to deal with this snub.

The fact is he has been dropped from an England squad picked for the most important test match for over 20 years for a bowler with erratic form.

Not sure it was a snub, I think it was get some experience. He is unlikely to go to the sub continent in the winter, will almost certainly go on the academy tour.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Simster said:
Apparently Tremlett isn't the same bowler as he was at the beginning of the season. I think the reason Anderson got the nod over him is because Anderson is a similar type of bowler to Jones. If it had been Flintoff or Harmison who were injured, I think Tremlett would have got his chance.

Exactly correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here