Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

england squad to face wales and ghana

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd go as far as to say that's the weakest squad for a proper non-friendly match since the days of Graham Taylor. The absence of Rio and Gerrard is glaring.

So many ifs, buts and maybes, i.e. Wilshere, Carroll, Lennon etc.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'd love to see Capello use Parker, Wilshere and Lampard in a 3 man midfield.
Agreed, i think with our squad we need to play 4-3-3 and Parker and Wilshere would both be perfect for that with one of Gerrard/Lampard

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Agree with those struggling to muster any enthusiasm for anything to do with the England National team.

However, the inclusion of new players like Wilshere, Jarvis, Carroll, Walker and Cahill is starting to get me interested again. Hopefully this will continue and we get to the stage where the media/fans don't expect us to win the major tournaments and we can finally have a team that works hard and looks interested and genuinely proud to play for their country. Rather than some of the current era taking it for granted as they know they will be picked whatever performances they put in. Once we get to that stage then I really look forward to giving them my full support and not seeing them built up or destroyed each week in the media, depending on the last result.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
who is Kelly?

Ex Stars in their Eyes presenter

matthew_kelly_for_london_stage.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I wish Gareth Bale was English. How the f*** can you get excited about Matt Jarvis of Wolves when the real deal required to be the best IS Bale? Congrats to the new players and everything but, Wilshere apart - nobody's broken down any doors to get into that side, so I can't get that excited about the new players.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
what does everyone think of the team

Squad in full (alphabetical by position)

Ben Foster, Robert Green, Joe Hart;

Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, John Terry, Kyle Walker;

Gareth Barry, Stewart Downing, Matthew Jarvis, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young;

Darren Bent, Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney.

Best we will get out of this squad is:

Hart
Johnson (If we had any other RB, they'd take his place)
Terry
Cahill
Cole
Milner
Wilshere
Lampard
Parker
Lennon
Rooney

But it'll probably be
Hart
Johnson
Terry
Jagielka
Cole
Milner
Barry
Lampard
Lennon
Carroll
Rooney

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
What a shite squad.
I had to Google this Jarvis bloke. Never heard of him :shrug: Also who is Kyle Walker?

and immediately after this you list who the best team would be....

needless to say i didn't take much notice of the clearly in-depth analysis...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yeah the best first 11 possible out of a bad squad, which I have quoted. I don't really see the issue..

Because you don't even know who two of the players are. I can't see what you can possibly base your opinion on. If you haven't heard of these two then you cant have watched ANY prem this season.

Matt Jarvis has been fantastic this season and has put the most crosses in out of anyone in the prem.

Kyle Walker is an exciting you full back who is a great addition.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's a shame, but I think more and more people (myself included) feel like that. I have got to the stage where there is a certain apathy regarding the national team. Sure, if we go to a championship I will want them to do well, but I just can't get over enthused by them. If someone had said to me 10-15 years ago that I would care more about the England rugby team than the football team I would have thought them mad.

Partly the poor performance of the last few years - despite having some capable players .... partly the apparent inability of Fabio (for a world class club manager) and partly the Terry/Captaincy issue - these things have all reduced my interest, plus the standard of football is better in Champions League games generally, so, at least for now, I'm done with internationals. Won't watch the match on Sat, and doubt if I'd take any time to look up the score.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
I used to rate Milner but he has thrown his career away by joining Man City. Not sure about Barry either and I'm fed up with Lampard.

I'd like to start with Parker and Wilshere in the centre of midfield, assuming we go 4-4-2 as usual.

As for our other positions, I don't think it looks that bad. We could maybe do with a better choice of forwards and right backs, but we have some potentially good centre backs and keepers. Elsewhere, we will look stronger offensively when Walcott, Adam Johnson and Gerrard are back.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Because you don't even know who two of the players are. I can't see what you can possibly base your opinion on. If you haven't heard of these two then you cant have watched ANY prem this season.

Matt Jarvis has been fantastic this season and has put the most crosses in out of anyone in the prem.

Kyle Walker is an exciting you full back who is a great addition.

Who does Kyle Walker play for? Must admit, the Prem doesn't exactly interest me, so am just going on what I know.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a shame, but I think more and more people (myself included) feel like that. I have got to the stage where there is a certain apathy regarding the national team. Sure, if we go to a championship I will want them to do well, but I just can't get over enthused by them. If someone had said to me 10-15 years ago that I would care more about the England rugby team than the football team I would have thought them mad.

Not sure about rugby but I do like our atheletes. The cyclists are just brilliant, the BMX girl who feel off is a real star....with silver a real prospect she saw a slither of gold opportunity and went for it...but fell. She got up, dusted herself down and will try again with renewed vigour and application. Compare this with John Terry who is supposedly a leader and sat blubbing on the Champions League final pitch when he failed. And when he was failing at the world cup he blamed everyone and everything. Jessica Ennis is fantastic as are some of the boxers. We have a few runners who might come through in a few years as well. They all seem nice people, hungry for success who have put so much effort into what they are doing. They take little for granted. These people get my support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here