Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can you imagine if Southgate had been manager of Man Utd instead of Sir Matt Busby?

"The problem with Bestie is that he needs to work harder without the ball."

He says all the about Foden, then plays Maddison on the wing which goes against everything he said about Foden in that article

He just doesn't like Foden, or trust him, same with Grealish

You are allowed 1/2 in the team that don't track back, which he doesn't seem to understand

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Grealish and Foden both put in plenty of work, they're gifted players who we should be looking to empower and not handicap.

The team should be;

Pope
Walker Dunk Tomori Chilwell
Ward-Prowse Rice
Saka Bellingham Grealish
Kane

But Ward-Prowse won't get selected for a squad and Pope is somehow behind Pickford (Jesus Christ) and Aaron Ramsdale (Jesus Wept). Dean Henderson is the best goalkeeper of the whole group for me, but he needs to be playing regularly and unfortunately he's gone to Palace which is a massive shame as someone who champions his ability. James Trafford is a good goalkeeper and hopefully a future number 1, unless Rushworth comes through and overtakes him.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Personally i was dismayed when Lewis was called up.
With the amount of games coming up for us he needs to put his feet up and rest whenever he can.
Let`s face it his time of playing for England has come and gone especially with Southgate in charge.

We all know Lewis is better than Maguire but it`s just not going to happen for him.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I think he's obsessed with Brighton, and I wouldn't want him here if he wasn't :lolol:
I'd much prefer if snowflakes like that kept well away from Brighton to be honest. However, sometimes you just have to put up with the irritating noise and carry on regardless I guess.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I was actually going to bet on that . Especially if Maguire plays - however I would have imagined a 7/2 type. Just checked and 9/2 on betfair and Paddy Power is 7/2 - not 10 - 1 . So basically you just made that up!
Tempted to quote Mr T.
Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 15-09-48 Paddy Power™ Sports Promos Play Card Exclusive Retail Turbo ...png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Grealish and Foden both put in plenty of work, they're gifted players who we should be looking to empower and not handicap.

The team should be;

Pope
Walker Dunk Tomori Chilwell
Ward-Prowse Rice
Saka Bellingham Grealish
Kane

But Ward-Prowse won't get selected for a squad and Pope is somehow behind Pickford (Jesus Christ) and Aaron Ramsdale (Jesus Wept). Dean Henderson is the best goalkeeper of the whole group for me, but he needs to be playing regularly and unfortunately he's gone to Palace which is a massive shame as someone who champions his ability. James Trafford is a good goalkeeper and hopefully a future number 1, unless Rushworth comes through and overtakes him.
You did watch Pope against us last week, right? One of the worst keeper performances I've seen in a while.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'd much prefer if snowflakes like that kept well away from Brighton to be honest. However, sometimes you just have to put up with the irritating noise and carry on regardless I guess.
What's wrong with snowflakes? I refer you to the Award-winning 'More Snow Tomorrow' thread as an example of how much we like snowflakes down here :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Quite a few 'best' teams suggested on this thread, leaving out Stones, who is England's best all-round CB by a big margin.

In truth we have some very good options in some positions, and choosing between them is purely subjective. (Tyrone Mings and Jordan Henderson are not amongst them, mind).

GK:
There's little to choose between Ramsdale, Pickford and Pope. Pope's the biggest unit if you like that in a keeper. Pickford's distribution is excellent. None of these would be the 'wrong' choice.

RB:
Reece James when fit is the stand out talent I think, but depending on formation opposition, you can legitimately make a case for Walker or White. Stones also does a perfectly sound job there at times for his club. Personally think Trippier is well past his best, but he does give you excellent set piece delivery, if you've chosen a team of plodders in midfield that lack this (hopefully you haven't...)

LB:
Shaw or Chilwell. Little in it. Both decent enough.

CB:
Stones + 1.
The other could be Dunk, but equally could be Tomori or Colwill. It absolutely should NOT be Mings, Dier, Keane or Coady. His youth, potential and left foot probably makes Colwill the best option if you are trying to build something for the future (even though Dunk for one, is a better centre back right now).

CM:
Bellingham and Rice should play. Who plays with them, and what specific role Bellingham is tasked with, depends on the quality and set-up of the opposition. Against a modest opponent or when chasing a game, Maddison or Foden would be the third midfielder - the more advanced of the three. In a game where you expect to be under more pressure, there is the option of Bellingham at the tip of that triangle, and partner Rice with somebody else more defensively minded. Phillips is a possibility if he's actually playing. Maybe JWP. Stones also worth considering here, if you can spare him from CB duties - he gets picked as a CM option over Phillips at City, by a far more astute manager than Southgate.

AM (L/R):
We are quite blessed here. Any of Saka, Grealish, Rashford, Foden are valid choices. Sterling has recaptured some really good form recently, and has produced for England plenty of times before. If you delve further down, Bowen, Barnes (if he doesn't choose Scotland) and yes, Solly March, would all do a job. The little rat Gordon, whilst being spectacularly unlikable is growing as a player, and was England's stand out performer at the U21 Euros.

CF:
No real competition tbh for Kane, is there? It's Kane, or change formation. Ollie Watkins is probably the best fit as a stand-in (certainly whilst Ivan Toney is banned).

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Quite a few 'best' teams suggested on this thread, leaving out Stones, who is England's best all-round CB by a big margin.

In truth we have some very good options in some positions, and choosing between them is purely subjective. (Tyrone Mings and Jordan Henderson are not amongst them, mind).

GK:
There's little to choose between Ramsdale, Pickford and Pope. Pope's the biggest unit if you like that in a keeper. Pickford's distribution is excellent. None of these would be the 'wrong' choice.

RB:
Reece James when fit is the stand out talent I think, but depending on formation opposition, you can legitimately make a case for Walker or White. Stones also does a perfectly sound job there at times for his club. Personally think Trippier is well past his best, but he does give you excellent set piece delivery, if you've chosen a team of plodders in midfield that lack this (hopefully you haven't...)

LB:

CB:
Stones + 1.
The other could be Dunk, but equally could be Tomori or Colwill. It absolutely should NOT be Mings, Dier, Keane or Coady. His youth, potential and left foot probably makes Colwill the best option if you are trying to build something for the future (even though Dunk for one, is a better centre back right now).

CM:
Bellingham and Rice should play. Who plays with them, and what specific role Bellingham is tasked with, depends on the quality and set-up of the opposition. Against a modest opponent or when chasing a game, Maddison or Foden would be the third midfielder - the more advanced of the three. In a game where you expect to be under more pressure, there is the option of Bellingham at the tip of that triangle, and partner Rice with somebody else more defensively minded. Phillips is a possibility if he's actually playing. Maybe JWP. Stones also worth considering here, if you can spare him from CB duties - he gets picked as a CM option over Phillips at City, by a far more astute manager than Southgate.

AM (L/R):
We are quite blessed here. Any of Saka, Grealish, Rashford, Foden are valid choices. Sterling has recaptured some really good form recently, and has produced for England plenty of times before. If you delve further down, Bowen, Barnes (if he doesn't choose Scotland) and yes, Solly March, would all do a job. The little rat Gordon, whilst being spectacularly unlikable is growing as a player, and was England's stand out performer at the U21 Euros.

CF:
No real competition tbh for Kane, is there? It's Kane, or change formation. Ollie Watkins is probably the best fit as a stand-in (certainly whilst Ivan Toney is banned).
Bang on in every position. Stones is brilliant, amazing some would leave him out and Gordon is a real talent, I expect him to surpass most on that list at AM.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

GK:

RB:

LB:

CB:
Stones + 1.

CM:

AM (L/R):

CF:
100% spot on re CB. Not convinced by either left back. If you're going 4-3-3 here then Foden either as an AM or CM doesn't really work. I've never seen him track back. Correct about CF too - at some point Watkins is going to need more game time but probably not till after Euro 24 unless Kane gets injured.

I think something that can be agreed on is that I've seen comments on here about Southgate not having creativity (ignoring the 7-0 win over North Macedonia maybe and just picking on the last game). But, let's say that's true for a minute. Just looking at your pretty decent analysis above, given full fitness, we drop one of James or Walker (and not even a squad place for the passing of TAA), have to toss up between the set pieces of JWP against the more creative Foden or Bellingham and can't play all of Maddison, Rashford, Grealish, Sterling and Saka. I genuinely wouldn't want to be the person being paid and having the attention of the nation on me, to select 11 from that which will be guaranteed to satisfy the critics and prepare us for a tournament finals in '24.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would choose Chilwell over Shaw every time.

Find Shaw bizarrely overrated - his assist stats for an attacking full back are absolutely abysmal.

Just looked it up - 19 assists across his entire career. That is really poor. TAA meanwhile is on 77 from about 30 more games.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

GK:

RB:

LB:

CB:
Stones + 1.

CM:

AM (L/R):

CF:
That is a quite simply superb post. Spot on.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
You did watch Pope against us last week, right? One of the worst keeper performances I've seen in a while.
Yeah, it was catastrophic! But Pickford and Ramsdale are not better overall, they have different qualities but my preference of the 3 is Pope but there's so much room for another goalkeeper to come through and stake a real claim.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
My team for what it's worth would be...
Pickford
Trippier Stones Dunk Chilwell
JWP Rice
Saka Bellingham Rashford
Kane

Subs including Maddison, Foden, Grealish, Toney, James, TAA, Tomori, Shaw, Colwill, Eze, Walker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here