Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England squad 12:45

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
You lot seem to have short memories, straight after the Euro's Roy said he would be ringing the changes for the next friendly but all the old favourites would be back come the WC qualifiers.

Shame..

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I'd completely forgotten about this game. In fact, looking through that squad list just confirms to all without any doubt that our squad is the worst that I can remember. I'm still fairly young, but still, i'm sure others older than me could say the same thing.
Anyways, with all the Olympics going on, as I said, i'd completely forgotten about this friendly and it's no real suprise. The olympics has completely reeled me in, watched pretty much all work allows me to, and it's been fantastic. Thing is, you actually feel the slightest bit connected to the individuals. As an example the boxer from Leeds who won gold last night, one of the friendliest people one could meet, and really does just seem to be one of the normal people you'd otherwise see out and about in day to day life. She was so pleased, and so greatful, as with all the other athletes who have done so well under the pressure. They all have a sense of humour when tested, they've all spoken to the BBC even when things don't go to plan, and none of them in my memory have made excuses. In fact, even more impressive when many rely on parents to fund their travel to overseas competitions as was documented last night. All this, whilst the England team moan about boredom in 5 star luxury resorts whilst at a World Cup, racism trials, affairs, and all the other b*llocks going on every month.

I've loved the olympics, and I know it's slightly off on a tangent, but it's helped reaffirm the idea that the England team is a f*cking shambles. And of course, I couldn't give two shits about the result, especially seeing such a complete lack of quality in the squad.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I'd completely forgotten about this game. In fact, looking through that squad list just confirms to all without any doubt that our squad is the worst that I can remember. I'm still fairly young, but still, i'm sure others older than me could say the same thing.
Anyways, with all the Olympics going on, as I said, i'd completely forgotten about this friendly and it's no real suprise. The olympics has completely reeled me in, watched pretty much all work allows me to, and it's been fantastic. Thing is, you actually feel the slightest bit connected to the individuals. As an example the boxer from Leeds who won gold last night, one of the friendliest people one could meet, and really does just seem to be one of the normal people you'd otherwise see out and about in day to day life. She was so pleased, and so greatful, as with all the other athletes who have done so well under the pressure. They all have a sense of humour when tested, they've all spoken to the BBC even when things don't go to plan, and none of them in my memory have made excuses. In fact, even more impressive when many rely on parents to fund their travel to overseas competitions as was documented last night. All this, whilst the England team moan about boredom in 5 star luxury resorts whilst at a World Cup, racism trials, affairs, and all the other b*llocks going on every month.

I've loved the olympics, and I know it's slightly off on a tangent, but it's helped reaffirm the idea that the England team is a f*cking shambles. And of course, I couldn't give two shits about the result, especially seeing such a complete lack of quality in the squad.

I accept your point about the England players being pampered and arrogant when compared to the Olympic stars. But I don't understand why you don't give two shits about the result because the younger players aren't very good. Surely having the youngsters play who are going to be the ones who feature for England for the next 10-12 years playing now is a good thing. Yes they might not be the best, but surely they're worth supporting and not disregarding because they're not going to be as good as say, the Spanish youngsters?

I've said all along I'd much rather support a young English side that actually want to play instead of their slightly more talented, but couldn't give a shit, elder counterparts who are so far distanced from the man on the street because of the amount of money they've been subject to.

People compain the team is hyped too much by the media, is too old and full of 'idiots' like Rooney who don't care, but then also complain when a younger side is chosen because they're not going to be world beaters. There's no way they can win with attitudes like that.

I'm actually quite happy with that side. Glad to see the back of Rooney and Terry. Not sure why Gerrard hasn't been picked?!

Roy always said he was going to rest the experienced players for this game. I just hope they all do really well and make a real case for not having to call the likes of Terry back

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It feels like a squad of reserve players for big clubs. I know he's going to blood some youngsters but ffs we need to score some psychological points by beating the Italians.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I accept your point about the England players being pampered and arrogant when compared to the Olympic stars. But I don't understand why you don't give two shits about the result because the younger players aren't very good. Surely having the youngsters play who are going to be the ones who feature for England for the next 10-12 years playing now is a good thing. Yes they might not be the best, but surely they're worth supporting and not disregarding because they're not going to be as good as say, the Spanish youngsters?

I've said all along I'd much rather support a young English side that actually want to play instead of their slightly more talented, but couldn't give a shit, elder counterparts who are so far distanced from the man on the street because of the amount of money they've been subject to.

People compain the team is hyped too much by the media, is too old and full of 'idiots' like Rooney who don't care, but then also complain when a younger side is chosen because they're not going to be world beaters. There's no way they can win with attitudes like that.

Roy always said he was going to rest the experienced players for this game. I just hope they all do really well and make a real case for not having to call the likes of Terry back

Get your point. But the thing is, that squad full of young players is very, very poor. When you look at the youngsters coming through other nations, the likes of Schurle, Goetze and so on for Germany, Neymar, Lucas Moura, and so on. All being talked about for fee's of around £30m, and then you look at whats coming through our system and it's players like Henderson, Carrol, and the others. The thing is though, everyone knows that the crop of players coming up are not currently good enough, and Hodgson has to get results or he'll be gone again like the others preceeding him... and thus he has to play the better players, those like Rooney, Cole, Gerrard and the like to keep his job safe. The problem then, for a couple more years, will persist for me.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I really don't understand all this fuss of Jack Butland. Yeah he is a prospect, but he's only been on loan at Crewe and a lot of fans seem to think he's the best keeper in the league when he's not played a game :lolol:

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Get your point. But the thing is, that squad full of young players is very, very poor. When you look at the youngsters coming through other nations, the likes of Schurle, Goetze and so on for Germany, Neymar, Lucas Moura, and so on. All being talked about for fee's of around £30m, and then you look at whats coming through our system and it's players like Henderson, Carrol, and the others. The thing is though, everyone knows that the crop of players coming up are not currently good enough, and Hodgson has to get results or he'll be gone again like the others preceeding him... and thus he has to play the better players, those like Rooney, Cole, Gerrard and the like to keep his job safe. The problem then, for a couple more years, will persist for me.

See I take that we don't have the individual stars of the likes of Neymar as almost a good thing. The team has been based on individuals and their perception in the media for too long. I'd much rather we had a proper team that worked for each other, instead of the massive egos we've had since around 1998. We not may best Spain/Brazil - but we're not going to do that at the moment. I just want a team that I can support - however could they are. I literally couldn't have given any less of a shit when England lost to Italy in the Euros, but I can start to see green shoots of growth rising from that mess and I hope they stay as level headed and grounded as possible. Something I think Roy Hodgson will be very good at achieving.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ashley Young :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Well said. I literally couldn't find the words to articulate my absolute astonishment that this useless, incredibly over-rated "midfielder" has been selected DESPITE his performances at the European Championship. Amazing. His career just keeps getting funnier. Gets the move to Aston Villa despite offering nothing at Watford. Then he gets picked up by Man Utd despite being amazingly ordinary in almost every way... And now he seems untouchable in the England squad. Bizarre. If you want to know why England are International also-rans, it's because the better nations don't have equivalents of our spectacularly overhyped players. :nono:

I disagree fundamentally with the selection of Ashley Young, basically.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
See I take that we don't have the individual stars of the likes of Neymar as almost a good thing. The team has been based on individuals and their perception in the media for too long. I'd much rather we had a proper team that worked for each other, instead of the massive egos we've had since around 1998. We not may best Spain/Brazil - but we're not going to do that at the moment. I just want a team that I can support - however could they are. I literally couldn't have given any less of a shit when England lost to Italy in the Euros, but I can start to see green shoots of growth rising from that mess and I hope they stay as level headed and grounded as possible. Something I think Roy Hodgson will be very good at achieving.

I'm like you, I'd much rather see the youngsters given a chance. All I am saying, is that it's so much harder to pledge an allegiance with the England team than it is with other world famous sportsmen and women, highlighted by the Olympics. You see how chatty, friendly, and proud they are to do what they do, and then you just know for a fact that the next competitive game, England will line up with the likes of Cole, Terry, Rooney and Gerrard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here