Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England really were poor last night

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
That's not true, apparently we beat Switzerland in the 1954 World Cup.

I've just looked this up on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_FIFA_World_Cup Group 2 was quite tasty

West Germany 4 – 1 Turkey
Hungary 9 – 0 South Korea
Hungary 8 – 3 West Germany
Turkey 7 – 0 South Korea
Play off (??)
West Germany 7 – 2 Turkey

West Germany went on to beat Hungary in the final

Honourable mention for:
Uruguay 7 – 0 Scotland

Football history is littered with the ' best ' teams not winning cup competitions. 1954 being a prime example. Hungary were world beaters...they had beaten England 6-3 away and 7-1 at home...they smashed Germany 8-3 in a group game...went into the final with Puskas ( the star man ) carrying an injury...raced early into a 2-0 lead...had a perfectly good goal ruled out for offside, when trailing 3-2 and lost.
The same way Holland lost in 74, Brazil in 82, Italy in 90 and Brazil in 98. They were all the best teams but they didn't win the trophy. England are well organised, enjoying luck and working hard....who knows?
p.s After Uruguay beat Scotland 7-0, Tommy Docherty said one of their players was the best he had ever seen and still maintains it to this day...trying to think of the guy's name....Schiaffino ?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Surprised at the reaction to the OP as he pretty much has it spot on. Technically we were very poor last night and anyone denying it needs the wool removing from their eyes. We couldn't trap a bag of cement or keep hold of the ball at all. The first half was woeful.

Thank you. Someone else who is considering the reality of England's performance and not looking at every game through rose-tinted spectacles.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Thank you. Someone else who is considering the reality of England's performance and not looking at every game through rose-tinted spectacles.

But surely in tournament football, the quality of the performance doesn't matter one iota. Yes, in a season long league campaign I would be worried if my team played like that, but in a tournament, especially now we've reached the knockout stage, the result is EVERYTHING, no matter how it is achieved?

Last edited:

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
We did quite well. We look pretty solid under Roy. We don't have good enough players to dominate possession, so I think that slightly defensive/counter-attacking football suits us.

We were playing away from home at the host country and under pressure.

Milner and particularly Young didn't do too well last night. If we are going to hit team on the break would like to see Walcott start ahead of Young.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
We did quite well. We look pretty solid under Roy. We don't have good enough players to dominate possession, so I think that slightly defensive/counter-attacking football suits us.

We were playing away from home at the host country and under pressure.

Milner and particularly Young didn't do too well last night. If we are going to hit team on the break would like to see Walcott start ahead of Young.

How can Gus train a team of what was essentially league 1 players to retain and be comfortable with the ball but a squad of premier league players cannot manage it.......its not just this England team, England have never been good at keeping the ball.

Addick

Jan 20, 2008
I was lucky enough to go to the World Cup in 2010 and witnessed some dreadful England performances, truly shocking. Vowed never to get excited about them again they were a bunch of misfits. I have deliberately kept this tournament low key though I was so pleased that the Italian Tommy Cooper resigned.
However, in this tournament we look a unit, keeping our shape, difficult to break down. Make no mistake beating Ukraine on their own patch was a real result.
Listening to 606 last night I could not understand the way that people were criticising England for playing poorly. THEY WON THE GROUP.
If people want expansive, beautiful football in this tournament follow Holland.
COME.ON.ENGLAND

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
How can Gus train a team of what was essentially league 1 players to retain and be comfortable with the ball but a squad of premier league players cannot manage it.......its not just this England team, England have never been good at keeping the ball.

I think Gus is able to train a team to retain the ball because very few other teams in England play that way (Swansea, Arsenal etc), that means we can be quite picky about the players we choose and make sure we train them to play keep-ball.

At the international level there are at least a couple of problems with this
- In Leagues like Spain (& Portugal etc) teams play a lot more keep-ball week-in week-out, that means there are loads of players for the national sides to pick from. And they are all used to playing that way. Because so few teams play that way over here the England squad isn't used to playing that way.
- Because our sides don't play like that we don't create keep-ball players, we create people like Lampard who are box-to-box and can shoot a bit. You can't take a player like Lampard from his club team and club methodology of direct football and convert him at international level to play like Iniesta.
-Whenever a Spaniard or South American comes into an English team he automatically seems to be the most skillfull player, this isn't because they are all amazing signings or that our players are rubbish, its because thats the way teams play over there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
And look where that got Holland!

I've heard that the Dutch team visited an orphanage in Ukraine. "It was harrowing to see
the hopelessness and desperation in these eyes!" Said little five year old Sergey afterwards.

*I'll get my coat*

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought England looked very ordinary, predictably a 1-1 draw, except for the officials.

Only Gerrard separated us from the also-rans.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Very pleased that our new manager has got off to a good start but lets keep our feet on the ground, although our defence looked impressive the team as a whole were outplayed in all three games and of course the goal that was not given against us,if this run of luck continues we could beat Italy who do not impress.
Although our supporters enjoyed much better weather than we had I had the advantage of using fast forward on Sky+

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
our defence looked impressive

I'm just not getting this. England have played 3 games, parked the proverbial bus and still conceded 3 goals, 4 if you include the goal that wasn't. This is not an impressive defence in my mind.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
England are playing exactly the same as we do at every tournament; we're NEVER the best team and our performances always look cumbersome, laboured and vulnerable when compared against the favourites. That's just how we play. The difference this time is that there wasn't any pre-tournament hype which has allowed the players to relax. The Sweden game was a classic example: having gone 2-1 down England teams of previous years would have just frozen with that 'here we go again' air of resignation, already mentally thinking about their forthcoming club seasons. This lot don't feel the 'heaviness of the shirt' the way previous teams have done.

We've still got a chance of 'doing a Chelsea'.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
To be fair england are very poor and create little,but the passion and pride makes up for it,great to see some youngsters doing well.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Herr Tubthumper I will spell it out for you,Ukraine had enough possesion to score 3/4 goals against us, but lost the match,likewise France and Sweden,so full marks to our defence and our coaches,however our forwards apart from the Sweden game did not impress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here