Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England really were poor last night

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, we won, but overall Ukraine, yes Ukraine who are 511th in the world rankings outplayed us all over the park.

I don't blame the manager. He is doing the very best he can with what he has available, but what a poor bunch of players.

Gerrard and Hart are probably the only two who, based on last night's performance, would walk into any other team.

Cole has not played as well as he can so far in this tournament.
Johnson has been pretty good and has developed into a decent international RB.
Terry had a good game, but is clearly past his best.
Lescott is OK, but marginally international standard.
Parker has played very well, but is he really the best we can produce in that position?
Young has shown flashes of class, but too few and nowhere near enough consistency. Disappointing. Not good enough.
Milner may run a lot, but is not up to international standards. Did absolutely nothing of note last night.
Welbeck, like Young, has shown flashes of class (to be fair many more flashes of class than Young), but apart from his great goal against Sweden has not really produced the goods.
Rooney was awful last night. Rusty maybe, but for a professional footballer of his class to play so poorly was bad. He can only get better.

Walcott has shown some real potential, but last night there was no point in bringing him on if his team-mates were going to ignore him.
Oxlade-Chamberlain has also shown potential, but not yet ready to start.
Carroll scored a great goal against Sweden, but has not really shone apart from that.

So we've got to the Quarter Finals without really showing any true international class. The football last night was tedious and boring. We seem to be unable to consistently pass to our own players. We get dispossessed far too often, the biggest culprit being Ashley Young.

Personally I don't give us much chance against Italy, but will cheer the team on anyway.

Things can only get better.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yes, we won, but overall Ukraine, yes Ukraine who are 511th in the world rankings outplayed us all over the park.

I don't blame the manager. He is doing the very best he can with what he has available, but what a poor bunch of players.

Gerrard and Hart are probably the only two who, based on last night's performance, would walk into any other team.

Parker has played very well, but is he really the best we can produce in that position?
Young has shown flashes of class, but too few and nowhere near enough consistency. Disappointing. Not good enough.
Milner may run a lot, but is not up to international standards. Did absolutely nothing of note last night.
Welbeck, like Young, has shown flashes of class (to be fair many more flashes of class than Young), but apart from his great goal against Sweden has not really produced the goods.
Rooney was awful last night. Rusty maybe, but for a professional footballer of his class to play so poorly was bad. He can only get better.

Walcott has shown some real potential, but last night there was no point in bringing him on if his team-mates were going to ignore him.
Carroll scored a great goal against Sweden, but has not really shone apart from that.

So we've got to the Quarter Finals without really showing any true international class. The football last night was tedious and boring. We seem to be unable to consistently pass to our own players. We get dispossessed far too often, the biggest culprit being Ashley Young.

Personally I don't give us much chance against Italy, but will cheer the team on anyway.

Bore off.

D

Deleted member 18477

Who gives a shit.

In Ukraine's backyard. In a European championships IN UKRAINE! With 60k nutty Ukraine fans going nuts for football IN UKRAINE! Only 4k English fans... Away game of the highest order... English players and fans nervous as hell because we were favourites... Rooney under all sorts of pressure to perform... Being ridiculously called our Pele... I'd have taken a flipping OG!

Now lets go and Chelsea our way to the trophy!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What a waste of time that OP was. Wrexham outplayed us but we got through to the next round of the cup. It's irrelevant. England will raise their game against Italy.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

Quite possibly the dullest post ever on NSC well done!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What a surprise. Goldstone, the resident boring, negative twat, posts a rambling load of shit trying to ruin all the good feeling in place after England massively exceeded expectations and won the group.

Let me guess, you think Kusczack is a shit signing as well?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Who gives a shit? We never looked like losing for even a second last night. Let the other team play the football. We'll get the result. Thanks very much.

Cheggers

Jul 28, 2011
Bang! And the dirt is gone.
Eh? Italy have won World Cups by playing crappy, boring football with few proper "class" players, and getting very lucky. We have Gerrard and Rooney, and seem to score when it matters. This might be England's year.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Surprised at the reaction to the OP as he pretty much has it spot on. Technically we were very poor last night and anyone denying it needs the wool removing from their eyes. We couldn't trap a bag of cement or keep hold of the ball at all. The first half was woeful.

Not to say that the team do not deserve credit for getting through, I thought they played far better against france and sweden. It's been a creditable effort so far, and Roy has made some tough choices and they have all paid off (including playing that CJTC at centre back), so I am really pleased that Hodgson has got off to a good start.

FWIW I think we have a shot at beating Italy and am really looking forward to sunday, but if we continue to ignore the faults in our play we have no chance of improving in the future.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Greece.............unlikely winners. Chelsea................unlikely winners.

It's the "winners" bit that people remember,so let's see.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We have not been great I agree.

Would love to see Walcott and Carroll in now, and for us to go for it a bit more.

This is a worse team than the sides Crapello and Sven had, however we are unbeaten and won the group.
Its no bad thing not playing well and winning.

Amazing what having an English manager that can communicate with players can do.....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Surprised at the reaction to the OP as he pretty much has it spot on. Technically we were very poor last night and anyone denying it needs the wool removing from their eyes. We couldn't trap a bag of cement or keep hold of the ball at all. The first half was woeful.

Not to say that the team do not deserve credit for getting through, I thought they played far better against france and sweden. It's been a creditable effort so far, and Roy has made some tough choices and they have all paid off (including playing that CJTC at centre back), so I am really pleased that Hodgson has got off to a good start.

FWIW I think we have a shot at beating Italy and am really looking forward to sunday, but if we continue to ignore the faults in our play we have no chance of improving in the future.

Agree, our retention of the ball was as bad as I've seen at the tournament and only countered by our togetherness and team work ethic that seems one of the best.

Definitely have a shot on Sunday, but realistically need a dramatic improvement.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

While fundamentally I agree with the OP, I just wouldn't have taken the time and effort to bore everyone stupid with it.

In short, he saved me some typing.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
As an aside, I must be the only person who thinks Glen Johnson HASN'T played well! I expect a rick from him every other time he touches the ball!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here