Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England ranked world No4

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hmm. After beating Andorra and Macedonia. You remember when USA/Mexico were ranked so high (on the back of beating Guatemala or Honduras) and we all got so pissed off? That is now officially us.

Albion Rob

Ice Man said:
Shocking. We should be no higher than 7th.

Don't see why.

I would contend that any of the top eight could beat each other on any given day.

Despite a wretched tournament, we came within a penalty competition of the World Cup semi finals. Surely that counts for something.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Albion Rob said:
Don't see why.

I would contend that any of the top eight could beat each other on any given day.

Despite a wretched tournament, we came within a penalty competition of the World Cup semi finals. Surely that counts for something.

thats very true.

We are never 4th best but like you say above. thats the facts

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We've obviously leapt up the ranking as a result of getting shot of that balding prick we had holding the team back.

"Ah, now you are rid of him, we must re-adjust your ranking. Ah yes, without him f***ing it up, there can be just 3 better teams than you in the World."

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Albion Rob said:
Don't see why.

But on the day we lost to Portugal. They were beaten in the Semi Final and comprehensively beaten in the 3rd place play off.

On that form line we surely cannot be ranked anywhere near the top 4.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
:lolol:

Albion Rob

Hannibal smith said:
But on the day we lost to Portugal. They were beaten in the Semi Final and comprehensively beaten in the 3rd place play off.

On that form line we surely cannot be ranked anywhere near the top 4.

Well, we would surely have to be in the top eight and that is quite near the top four!

As I say, I don't think there is a massive difference between the top eight teams in the world and so it's just a case of jostling for position.

If England were to drop out of the top 10, that would be more interesting.

5 past Kuipers

Is that the time?
Feb 22, 2006
Tunbridge Wells
Hannibal smith said:

I'm not saying I agree with the rankings but we drew with Portugal and their 'comprehensive' loss was to a team who were at home.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
5 past Kuipers said:
I'm not saying I agree with the rankings but we drew with Portugal and their 'comprehensive' loss was to a team who were at home.

I just think Portugal were easily the worst of the 4 semi finalists. The results and their performances illustrate that.

Another way of thinking is the 4 losing QF's Argentina, Brazil, Ukraine and us. We can only really argue to be better than Ukraine.

7th at best on that basis.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Yeah. England were GRATE. :shootself

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
According to the BBC: "England were last ranked fourth under Glenn Hoddle in December 1997."

That didn't really set a golden precedent did it...?:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here