Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England players refuse to talk to media

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The media are a bunch of parasites who have all-expenses trips all over the world to write about football FFS. They have a reputation for being on the piss, are no strangers to a bit of Bolivian marching powder, yet sit in judgement of players, who for all their faults, do have talent in their feet.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
"Robinson came in after 95 per cent of Sun readers in a poll voted for our own Mavis the donkey to replace James."

If David James was your mate in the dressing room, how would you show support for him though? I thnk they could have dealt with it better, and should have appointed a spokesman to state their case, but at least they are showing solidarity and loyalty to one another. Problem is by not talking to all the media they throw the baby out with the bathwater, if they had said that they would refuse access to certain scumbag papers then they would have had more support.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The Wookiee said:
Perhaps the News of The World should dig up some dirt on him [Richard Keys] and print some sordid story all over their paper for the next couple of weeks lets see how he and his family likle that!!!

I can't see the News of the World (proprietor R Murdoch) in any way criticising a presenter on Sky Sports (proprietor R Murdoch), can you?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
El Presidente said:
The media are a bunch of parasites who have all-expenses trips all over the world to write about football FFS. They have a reputation for being on the piss, are no strangers to a bit of Bolivian marching powder, yet sit in judgement of players, who for all their faults, do have talent in their feet.

That's a tad unfair. I'm one of "the media" and, while I do enjoy a visit to the pub., have never been anywhere near the old boosty-woosty.

Mind you, I've only had two all-expenses paid trips to cover football: to Lincoln City; and Colchester United. :D

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
The gulf between a team and the working class fans is growing wider and wider. This just underlines that they don't give a f***. They are over paid tarts! So what if the media slated james, he had a shit game, he's in the limelight and get paid enough for it. Its not as if he;s the only players to have been insulted! Fuckin joke, i hope they lose every game and i fuckin hate sven!:tosser:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Yes, it's pretty obvious why, say, Beckham would never single out a paper like The Sun for criticism.

The likes of Beckham and Neville asked (told) players such as Dafoe and Robinson not to talk to the press last night, but I bet the old pros will be back doing dodgy deals within days.

Is that really player solidarity, or the whinging old guard throwing their toys out the pram yet again?

Last edited:

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
football writers for the tabloids have been attacking the team all week what sort of reaction did they expect.
and to a certain extent this does come with the territory
when you use the media as a tool but i wonder how many of these journo's are full of themselves they think they get away with anything?

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
brighton_b0y said:
The gulf between a team and the working class fans is growing wider and wider. This just underlines that they don't give a f***. They are over paid tarts! So what if the media slated james, he had a shit game, he's in the limelight and get paid enough for it. Its not as if he;s the only players to have been insulted! Fuckin joke, i hope they lose every game and i fuckin hate sven!:tosser:

:lolol: So you're not a big fan of the national team then.

Willow said:
So are the Scottish team prima donnas also?

I'm not interested. I don't support them. I am interested in the behaviour of the England players.

As it is, I know that the Scotland players, despite all the shit they have been getting, spoke to the media and the fans last night. What they have done is stand up and be counted, and have defended in no uncertain terms themselves and their support for their manager, to what they know is a hostile press and what amounts to a fairly hostile bunch of supporters. They weren't cowards last night - they didn't scuttle away and mope about how poorly they have been treated. They stood up for themselves and said 'we have been treated badly'.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
they just piss me off! Give me albion any day! England fuckin over paid tarts!

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
El Presidente said:
they had said that they would refuse access to certain scumbag papers then they would have had more support.

Exactly. Why refuse an interview to say Five live? The criticism is only ever football related and often by ex players or managers so what greivences they have can only be slight. If they are that upset then surely there must be at least a dozen ways of showing their disgust (as best described by Easy earlier on) than refusing to talk. That'll show em, eh!? What with them being surrounded by agents, hangers on and other associated good for nothings you would think someone somewhere would have come up with a better idea than a sponsored silence.

The joke is that Rooney & Ferdinand are both on the Sun payroll. A far better way of showing solidarity for their mate James would be to terminate their contracts and give any money to charity denouncing the paper as trash and saying they will never grant an interview with them ever again. Then, and only then, will the players get any sympathy from me.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I'd give the players a right fookin Roastin over this!!

*Then again, I'd better re-phrase that*

:dunce:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Hannibal smith said:

The joke is that Rooney & Ferdinand are both on the Sun payroll. A far better way of showing solidarity for their mate James would be to terminate their contracts and give any money to charity denouncing the paper as trash and saying they will never grant an interview with them ever again. Then, and only then, will the players get any sympathy from me.

exactly :clap:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
I don't look at their stance last night as a "primadonna" thing. I think all the players respect the fact that if you don't play well, the media will come after you. However, in light of the recent articles on David James I think that they have every right to say "well that is over the limit" and take a stance.

Footballers deserve stick to keep them on their toes and improve performance, but no-one in this field of employment deserves actual abuse and insult like this week's press have shown.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Wilts said:
I don't look at their stance last night as a "primadonna" thing. I think all the players respect the fact that if you don't play well, the media will come after you. However, in light of the recent articles on David James I think that they have every right to say "well that is over the limit" and take a stance.

Footballers deserve stick to keep them on their toes and improve performance, but no-one in this field of employment deserves actual abuse and insult like this week's press have shown.
the media abuse anyone, its not really a personal thing. Trust this england team to make the stance, up their own arses. Im sure england teams of the past got stick like this but did they do this? and i couldnt see the england rugby team ever doing this and at least they've fuckin won something!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
That's a tad unfair. I'm one of "the media" and, while I do enjoy a visit to the pub., have never been anywhere near the old boosty-woosty.

Mind you, I've only had two all-expenses paid trips to cover football: to Lincoln City; and Colchester United. :D

Colchester? I am sure you had an 'Access All Areas' pass to Essex Girls then :p

Wilts said:

So stand up and say it. Don't just sulk in a corner.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The basic difference between Rugby journo's and footy journo's is that the Rgby ones are mostly ex-players or coashes. The footy ones are fat bastards of little talent .... but thinking on it they do have the right temprament to be a footy players :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here