Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England players - national anthem

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As has been said before, GSTQ is British (not English), it's incredibly boring and excludes about the third of the population who would rather we are a republic.

National anthems should be about instilling pride in your country. The current GSTQ sack of shite merely darkens my mood.

"Land of hope and glory" please. Absolutely top notch number.

Reading through some of these messages, am I wrong when I say a few people won't sing the national anthem because of the Royals?

The song is historical, and has been sung for years. I cannot believe that players and fans would stop singing it because they don't believe in the monachy.

I think the song is really emotional myself when sung at internationals (not just football ones) and gets the players fired up - well apart from the current England football side.

sherriffbart

Sep 24, 2003
A couple of interesting facts:

1...The "British " national anthem is the only one to sing about a king/queen not the country.

2. The reason why the Turks got so upset with Leeds fans , leading to the deaths was the "fans" of leeds were wiping the flag accross their backsides, the ultimate insults to the Turks. The red of the Turkish flag is the representation of blood of the fallen soldiers of the country.

I hate it when people take union flags ( Its only a Union Jack on the back of a ship) to England games.

We ought to sing Land of Hope and Glory.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I think Stuart Pearce should be sent in to bash their heads together and make them sing it. Show some pride you :censored: .
The whole Rugby team were signing it loud and proud :clap:

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Puzzling fact is that in the 18th century the following verse was added:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

Hence it became more of an English national anthem.

Maybe we should do what the other home nations have done for rugby in making up a stirring anthem. Both Ireland and Wales' rendition's are pretty inspiring.

Wez

Aug 18, 2003
Worthing
IT JUST SHOWS YOU HOW GOOD OUR PERFORMANCE WAS AGAINST TURKEY IF THE ONLY THING WE ARE MOANING ABOUT IS THE PLAYERS NOT SINGING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM.

ukade

Oct 7, 2003
Why is it some of the twats that go to England matches show a total disrespect for other peoples cultures or past history. First it was the germans, then the argentinians and now the turkish. Reading the post about the Leeds fans is totally disrespectful. It is the scum on this country that cause the hatred. Why cant some of them behave and be friendly to each other and appreciate the culture. Why is it we have this culture of sinking about 20 pints and being rowdy and shouting England in another persons country. It makes me wonder why no one likes us. Its embarrasing and I am not proud of this country anymore. Im sorry I have to say it. There are a lot of countries out there who and will not forgive us for what our supporters have done in the past. Yes I know other countries do have a hooligan element but when they visit this country they do not go around smashing our towns and cities up. They come here in total piece and respect our culture and our way of life so why cant we do the same.

"God Save the King" was first adopted as an anthem during the reign of Catholic King James II - at the time that the throne was under threat from William of Orange.

Curious, is it not, that it would have been the losers at the Battle of the Boyne who would have been singing it?

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
Stuart Pearce showed quite clearly how proud he was to represent his country and always sang the anthem as loud as he could.
Our Rugby team do no less.................................so why is it our football squad have such difficulty with it. ?
If I were in the team I would be giving it large..................

Sam

Formerly "Sambo"
Jul 22, 2003
Oxfordshire
Brovian said:
Uncle Buck is correct, it's the BRITISH anthem, not England's. I never sing it and I'm always tempted to join in with the boos. It should be consigned to history the same as taking Union Jacks to England games (that's the British flag too for those of you not sure what all the pretty colors and lines mean. England is a part of Britain, they're not interchangeable terms).

Play 'Jerusalem'

sorry to be a smart arse/PC but isnt it a Union JACK when on a ship, but a Union FLAG when not on a ship?

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
Something more uplifting should be used, such as motorhead's 'The Ace Of Spades'

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Scotty M said:
does anyone know the words of land of hope and glory? i know the first line:

land of hope and glory.

not really too challenging though

Land of hope and glory
Mother of the free
How can we extol thee?
Who are born of thee

Wider still and wider
Shall thy bounds be set
God who made thee mighty
Make thee mightier yet
God who made thee mighty
Make thee mightier yet

(practised by watching many Last night of the Proms)

The Union flag is only called the Union Jack when flown from the Jack staff at the bow of the ship.

Which to civvies is the front of the ship or the pointed end :lol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sam said:
sorry to be a smart arse/PC but isnt it a Union JACK when on a ship, but a Union FLAG when not on a ship?
Its OK Sam I will forgive your pedantry! However as a large number of people do have difficulty in differentiating between 'England' and Britain' and the Union Flag is colloquially called the 'Union Jack' I didn't want to confuse them further (patronise, patronise).

Brighton Bird: Yes I hate the GSTQ partly because I'm a staunch Republican but also because it is so DIRE! If it was a more uplifiting tune I might be more inclined to sing it even if I didn't agree with the words.

Everyone: I'm afraid 'Land of Hope and Glory' is no good either as that too is 'British'. We're a bit short on English patriotic ditties; it's either 'Jerusalem' or we'll have to have a competition to write a new English National Anthem. Attila?

Last edited:

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Yes, I think I'm with the non-singing players on this one.

I've nothing against the royal family themselves, but I don't believe a royal family has any role to play in a modern democracy.

Patriotism and royalism have nothing to do with each other.

We do need a new song. How about "England by the Sea?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here