Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England players - national anthem

England players - national anthem
I used to love it at the start of every match with the likes or Adams and Pierce singing the national anthem at the top of their voices. But no-one sung it yesterday. Is it because they don't know the words?

I would like to see our players sing the national anthem loud and proud. I always get really fired up when I see them sing, but just to stand there (sometimes looking bored)?

What do you guys think? I suppose you could argue that the players are psyching themselves up for the match, but I personally think singing the anthem shows their pride for playing for the country and our queen.

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
BrightonBird said:
I personally think singing the anthem shows their pride for playing for the country and our queen.

I have nothing against the queen, but I wouldn't sing the national anthem for her! Country maybe, queen no. :nono:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The problem is why do England have to sing God Save the Queen. It is the British National Anthum, yet the Sweaties and Welsh get to sing their own songs. I think in fairness last night the England players would have done well to hear the tune, as the Turks were booing our anthum. However, I am sure UEFA will say it was just high spirits, where as when England boo an anthum we are scum.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Uncle Buck is correct, it's the BRITISH anthem, not England's. I never sing it and I'm always tempted to join in with the boos. It should be consigned to history the same as taking Union Jacks to England games (that's the British flag too for those of you not sure what all the pretty colors and lines mean. England is a part of Britain, they're not interchangeable terms).

Play 'Jerusalem'

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Nah.. Land Of Hope And Glory rocks.. that should be the one.. start a campaign!

England used to walk out to that at Wembley

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
does anyone know the words of land of hope and glory? i know the first line:

land of hope and glory.

not really too challenging though

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Scotty M said:
does anyone know the words of land of hope and glory? i know the first line:

land of hope and glory.

not really too challenging though

We all follow the Reading, over the land and sea (and Oxford).

That'll do :D

Jerusalem is different gravy...

"And did those feet, in ancient time, walk upon England's pastures green..." - should IMO be the national anthem for England if we can use it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Basically your average England footballer these days is too street to go there, it's just no good for the cred to be seen singing it. Gone are the days of white boys with no sense of style like Seaman, Lineker, Pearce and Adams and in have come the new breed of players like Ferdinand, Cole (Ashley) or Campbell and the attitude that comes with that.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
yesterday, beckham sung and so did james. not with the same sort of emphasis as adams though! legendary stuff!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Cheeky Monkey said:
Basically your average England footballer these days is too street to go there, it's just no good for the cred to be seen singing it. Gone are the days of white boys with no sense of style like Seaman, Lineker, Pearce and Adams and in have come the new breed of players like Ferdinand, Cole (Ashley) or Campbell and the attitude that comes with that.

I don't think many of the boys of 66 and 70 sang the anthem. Overt patriotism came in with Mrs Thatcher.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Perhaps none of them know the words ??? ???

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
To be fair,I don't think they could actually hear it yesterday with all the booing and whistling.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Cheeky Monkey said:

Maybe some kind of garage remix is in order to get these fellas singing?

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Only Daily Mail readers give a monkey's about the Royal Family.
Remember when we played Brazil in the World Cup & Prince Andrew showed up, grinning like a prune during the National Anthem? At that moment I had a strong feeling we would lose.
The Royals would rather go hunting than watch football, only Princess Michael of Kent ever went to the Cup Final on a regular basis.
If I was in the England line-up I wouldn't be thinking of the Queen, I'd be thinking of my family's pride & my mates watching me down the pub. Then I'd play my b*lloc*s off for 90 minutes.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
God Save the Queen is one of the worst anthems in the world. It is a dirge, almost as bad as Flower of Scotland.

It's hideous, and I think most people couldn't give a damn about the Queen either.

I don't imagine Beckham was thinking "jolly good, this one's for Her Majesty" as he ran up to shank that penalty in the vague direction of Iran.

In the same way, I strongly doubt Her Majesty was sat at home glued to the screen thinking "I wonder if Steven Gerrard would be suited to a more flexible Christmas tree formation in midfield".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here