Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England go UP in FIFA World Rankings????

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
So before the WC we were the 8th best team in the world, now we're the 7th best? Ive never understood this ranking system but this seems really odd to me

England have risen one place in Fifa's official world rankings from eighth to seventh, despite their poor showing at the recent World Cup in South Africa.
Fabio Capello's side were knocked out of the tournament in the last 16 after a 4-1 defeat by Germany, who have gone up two positions to fourth.
World Cup winners Spain have replaced Brazil as the top-ranked side.
Meanwhile, World Cup finalists the Netherlands have risen two places to second, Brazil are down to third place.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can understand Portugal - they were 3 in the world, yet failed to get a final 8 place. Sounds like they were too high

The weirdest one for me is Greece. They failed to get out of the group stage and yet went up a place.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
fabios earning his money all the time we are improving as a nation - and judging by these rankings, we are :jester:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
So what did we go down in then? I could've sworn I saw something written about how we'd slumped to our lowest ranking yesterday...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The focus should be the performance of the U17's and U21's we all know this is complete bollocks, England 7th best team in the world ... and Katie Price is a cracking singer who has never been given the break she needs in the field of opera!

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
So what did we go down in then? I could've sworn I saw something written about how we'd slumped to our lowest ranking yesterday...

That was just the ranking for World Cup 2010, the FIFA World Rankings includes all results dating back a long time (not sure quite how long though!)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think they are a fair reflection. We were only beaten by Germany who are ranked 4th so why would we drop? Particularly when teams previously in the top ten like France and Italy lost to lesser teams.

Sense of proportion badly needed.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
And what teams below us have we lost to over the last two years? I think none.

Had we gone through top of the group and faced Ghana, then arguably we would deserve to be lower and probably would be. Although arguably we would have gone on to face and lose to Brazil which would probably still have left about where we are.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
We are nowhere near the 7th best side in the world. Our performance at the World Cup was an absoloute SHAMBLES. How the HELL we are now rated higher than before the WC, just goes to show what an ABSOLOUTE load of SHIT those rankings are.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
I think they are a fair reflection. We were only beaten by Germany who are ranked 4th so why would we drop? Particularly when teams previously in the top ten like France and Italy lost to lesser teams.

Sense of proportion badly needed.

But Portugal lost to Spain and dropped so I don't really get your argument.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here