Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England finally name squad

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
he 23-man England squad to face Turkey in this Saturday's Euro 2004 qualifier is:

Goalkeepers: James (West Ham), Robinson (Leeds), Walker (Leicester)

Defenders: P Neville (Man Utd), G Neville (Man Utd), A Cole (Arsenal), Bridge (Chelsea), Mills (Leeds), Campbell (Arsenal), Terry (Chelsea), Upson (B'ham City)

Midfielders: Beckham (Real Madrid), Lampard (Chelsea), J Cole (Chelsea), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Butt (Man Utd), Dyer (Newcastle), Gerrard (Liverpool), Scholes (Man Utd)

Strikers: Owen (Liverpool), Heskey (Liverpool), Beattie (Southampton), Rooney (Everton).

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Rio not going could be a good thing. He has been going through a bit of a dodgy spell at Man Ure recently and his International performances have been nothing special. However there ain't much choice for a central defence partnership by the looks of the squad. Campbell Upson or Campbell Terry!

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
Vassell is also in the the squad.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Terry ???

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
JEM said:
Vassell is also in the the squad.

Hes on standby in case Owen pulls out !!, not in the squad

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Vassell isn't in the squad?? Why not?

He always performs and i reckon is our second most dangerous striker after Owen.

And James Beattie?? PLeeaaassseee

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
My team:

Robinson

Neville Campbell Terry (?) Cole

Beckham Butt Scholes Gerrard

Rooney Owen

But switch to 4-3-3 if things get hairy, with Beckham-Scholes-Gerrard in midfield and Owen-Rooney-Heskey/Vassell up front.

No I do not want James in goal, but (sigh) he probably will be there. God help us at centre-back.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
3 in midfield wilts are you sure, I reckon Sven should go 4 - 5 - 1 if we can stop Turkey playing through the midfield we going to Portugal !!!

I'd like to see

James
Neville Terry Upson Bridge
Dyer Beckham Gerrard Cole
scholes
Owen/Rooney

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
We're in big trouble. Terry? Beattie? If Beattie's an international striker then I'm Artois' secret admirer..

Note to Beattie: Please don't score on Saturday.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
The Turks must be loving all this shit which is surrounding the Englands preparation. The FA's timing is a joke especially re Campbell. I hope we get a result on Sat this match is hard enough without this added pressure.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
The Cambell thing was nothing to do with the FA AG, its was Arsenal who got it moved presuamably so the fa would let him off with such a big game at the weekend !!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
in fairness, Turkey's preparation has been so chaotic none of their press are allowed to talk about anything that isn't positive. THey are not allowed to mention Hakan Sukur's injury or give any quotes to English newspapers. And translators are banned from their press conferences so the English can't immediately work out what their manager is saying.

Doesn't sound too confident to me. I really hope Hakan Sukur doesn't play, as every time he scores, the tabloids use exactly the same excruciating, poorly contrived pun on his name:

"xxxx team hit by Sukur Punch".

Lame and lamer.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Is Alan Smith (Leeds) injured, or just out of favour?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here