Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England fans swerving Euro 2012 in droves...

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
The wrong man got the job pearce should be in charge,at 49 he is young enough and he knows the squad, at 65 the current manager is far too fcuking old

Completely disagree. Hodgson is a quality coach with bags of experience & know how. He has far more to offer than Pearce & why the hell should age come into play? Bobby Robson, Alex Ferguson? Pearce is not up to the England job & you my friend are talking bollocks!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Completely disagree. Hodgson is a quality coach with bags of experience & know how. He has far more to offer than Pearce & why the hell should age come into play? Bobby Robson, Alex Ferguson? Pearce is not up to the England job & you my friend are talking bollocks!!

I think Hodgson was our only choice if picking an Englishman and I am happy with his appointment personally. Don't care if we get stuffed out of the Euro's, we aren't expected to do anything anyway and we don't have Lamps or Barry either, which makes a weak team weaker. World Cup qualifiers are all that matter. Great way to start as manager, playing the best teams in Europe, he'll learn a lot from this, and I trust him to do away gradually with the golden boys.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
It's not just that England are crap, I mean, as the article in the op suggests, it's just not fun. The Ukraine is full of history and is constantly writing its history, but it is depressing. Downbeat, depressing story of hardship, that's the history and the culture. So why go?
Portray me as a philistine if you like, but to me the Euros should be fun like, Spain, France, Germany, italy, Portugal etc. Good places where it's nice to be abroad. After all it is a holiday as well. I mean even Croatia and Serbia would be better, lovely cities and climate.
Without even talking about the vast amount of cash and the lack of transport, accommodation, the threat of violence just because you are English, it's enough to switch even the hardest fan off.
Big f*** up by Uefa and FIFA. The football governing bodies are giving tournaments to more and more stupid places, serves them right if fans,.... and ultimately players and their families, don't attend.

Last edited:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
A sad indictment of your typical England fan. There's loads of things you can do and see in Ukraine and Poland.

But is there in Donetsk? Serious question, if there is then please feel free to prove me wrong, but I cant think of anything that exciting about a trip to Donetsk even with the racism and violence issues cast aside. Kiev I'm sure, as the capital there will be things to do, but all footage of Donetsk implies it is far from the most pleasant city out there. If England were playing in Krakow i'd completely understand your point, loads to see and do in the area and I had a great time when I visited, but Donetsk just strikes me of going to somewhere like say, Birmingham 20 years ago, and paying hundreds of pounds for the priviledge.

But is there in Donetsk? Serious question, if there is then please feel free to prove me wrong, but I cant think of anything that exciting about a trip to Donetsk even with the racism and violence issues cast aside. Kiev I'm sure, as the capital there will be things to do, but all footage of Donetsk implies it is far from the most pleasant city out there. If England were playing in Krakow i'd completely understand your point, loads to see and do in the area and I had a great time when I visited, but Donetsk just strikes me of going to somewhere like say, Birmingham 20 years ago, and paying hundreds of pounds for the priviledge.

indeed, Euro/World Cup venues are chosen for you, you are under no obligation to spend your hard earned if you don't want to, £200 for a £15 hotel? stick it. Bear in mind the England cricket team (and an 8000 following) have just returned from Sri Lanka, I know where i'd rather go but then again I'd probably be tarred with the "typical England fan" brush. I predict half empty stadia and robbed tourists in both this and the Russian World Cup in contrast to France 2016, but hey, UEFA and Step Ladder know best

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
According to Wikipedia, Donetsk was founded by a Welshman, and was host to an "English colony"- not literally, but a large community of Brits who helped found the city. One of the oldest buildings in the city is the Great Britain Hotel, named in honour of our lil island.

I'm not necessarily saying it isn't also a dump, but it only took two minutes for me to realise it's more interesting than I thought. Probably best not to dismiss places we know very little about.

I think English attendances at the games will be hit by that panorama programme, and possibly by the olympics too, but lets not use that to indulge our own prejudices. Eastern european football has a very scary edge, but eastern Europe and its football aren't exactly the same thing, just as most Brits didn't take part in football violence in the 1980s.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Who'd want to travel all that way and spunk all that money to watch them go out on penalties, you all know they will

D

Deleted member 22389

It's too far away for most people. And hearing about the prices these hotels are charging is a joke. England and Germany will have the most support. I doubt the Italians, French, Spanish and other countries will bring hardly any support. The location is shit, but I best this turns out to be one the best Euros in a long time.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Things to Do In Donetsk
Artema Street is the main sightseeing artery of Donetsk, running from Donetsk Railway Station down to the south of the city. Almost everything is on, just off or accessible via Artema Street. Google Map to Artema Street, Donetsk

Lenin Square
Lenin Square (Ploshchad Lenina) has formed the heart of Donetsk since the 1950s. It represents (the city's former) political life, having as its focal point the Lenin Monument; civic life, being a venue for events, recreation and celebrations; culture, being home to the Prokofiev Concert Hall and the Donetsk Drama Theatre; and its economic life, being home, also, to the grandly columned Ministry of Mining Industry. Also facing it is the famous Donbass Palace Hotel.
Google Map to Lenin Square, Donetsk

Donetsk Regional Museum of Art
The Donetsk Regional Museum of Art, founded in 1939, has over 11,000 paintings, sculptures and graphic works of artists the world over, but prides itself most of all on its collection of works by Ukrainians. 35 Pushkina Boulevard
Google Map to Donetsk Regional Museum of Art

Donetsk Theatre of Opera and Ballet
The Donetsk Theatre of Opera and Ballet is built in classical style, set off by beautiful grounds on the city's It was founded in 1932 and has been an important and loved part of Donetsk's cultural life since then, and the whole of the Ukraine's since in 2009, when it became a national theater. Donetsk, Artema Str, 82
Google Map to Donetsk Theatre of Opera and Ballet

John James Hughes Brewery
The John James Hughes Brewery is a big brewery and pub named after the Welsh engineer who founded modern Donetsk. It is well worth the visit for its delicious British and German style beers lovingly brewed on the premises and served in comfortable, classic surroundings, with live music. 129-B Artyoma str., Donetsk, Ukraine +38 (062) 208 98 00
Google Map to John James Hughes Brewery, Donetsk

Donetsk Digital Planetarium
Donetsk Digital Planetarium is a state of the art, digital facility built in 2008 features exceptionally high-resolution, three-dimensional recreations of space, with hi-fi sound effects. It offers the unforgettable experience of virtual travel through space and time, in armchair comfort. The commentary is all in Russian, but the spectacle alone is well worth it. 165 Artema Str., Donetsk
Google Map to Donetsk Digital Planetarium

Forged Figures Park
Donetsk is historically all about iron - even the coal mines were only to fuel the forges. The Forged Figures Park features iron forged figures, and opened in 2001 with just 10 figures, which has now grown to over 90, and still increasing. With a Tree of Life Pavilion, a Sweethearts Pavilion, Zodiac Signs Alley, a Fairy Tales Alley, and more. Humor, imagination, inspiration - all in iron. You'll no doubt see married couples here on weekends, as the Park is a popular venue for wedding shots. The Forged Figures Park is about 1 kilometer from the Donbass Stadium.
Google Map to Forged Figures Park, Donetsk

Sherbakova Amusement Park
The huge Sherbakova Amusement Park is in the center of Donetsk and offers a tranquil but fun alternative to the bustle of the city. Walk through the rose garden, rent a boat, listen to the outdoor orchestra on weekends, eat at a stall or stop in at a cafe.
Google Map to Sherbakova Amusement Park, Donetsk

Metsalov's Palm
Metsalov's Palm is a focal point of Pushkin Boulevard (Bulvar Pushkina). It is a replica of a palm tree made from a rail by a craftsman in 1898 that won first prize at the World Exhibition in France in 1900 and was made using only a hammer and chisel, with no welding or joints. The original is now housed in the Museum of the Mining Institute in St Petersburg (the capital of Russian Empire then). This exact replica was brought to Donetsk in 1999.
Google Map to Pushkin Boulevard, Donetsk

The Cathedral of Christ Transfigured
The Cathedral of Christ Transfigured is a picturesque, domed and golden-spiked cathedral on the major corridor of Artem Street retains a human dimension in spite of its size, and is surrounded with greenery. It was first built in the 19th century, the project being launched in 1883, but was destroyed by the Bolshviks in 1933. Rebuilding began in the mid-1990s and was completed only in 2006. The bronze of the Archangel Michael on a plinth in front of the cathedral was a gift from the capital city, Kiev, from its Independence Square.
Google Map to Cathedral of Christ Transfigured, Donetsk

Donbass Palace Hotel
The Donbass Palace Hotel lives up in to its name by being, indeed, palatial. Described on its website as a "harmonious alliance of magnificent interiors," this 129-room landmark has been named by the World Travel Awards Association as the leading hotel in the whole of the Ukraine. The Donbass Palace stages a weekly chocolate buffet and afternoon tea that rivals the Ritz and includes two gourmet restaurants and a wonderful spa. The hotel looks out over Lenin Square. 80, Artyoma Street, Donetsk, 83001, Ukraine Phone: +38 062 343 43 33
Google Map to Donbass Palace Hotel, Donetsk

The Donbas Arena is set to become the city's most famous sight in the run-up to Euro 2012 and beyond. The space-age stadium cost $400 million and took three years to build, including dedicated parkland surrounding it. Next year, it will host a quarter-final and a semi-final in addition to its group games. Google Map to Donbass Arena, Donetsk

Nightlife & Entertainment In Donetsk
Donetsk has a range of restaurants that befits its burgeoning cosmopolitan status in the east. If you're flush with cash and have the right wardrobe on hand, the ultimate place to start a night out on Donetsk is the Donbass Palace Hotel. A more budget option is Ba Na Na, a South American themed diner open all day and all night, recently voted one of the best dining experiences in Ukraine (Artema Str., 80-а).

Syr (Cheese) serves anything with cheese in it as the name implies, and even has pockmarked yellow walls for that Swiss effect. (Oktyabrskaya Str., 77)

Yo-mo-yo in the heart of the city makes its own vodka. (Illicha ave., 15-д) Donetsk has even more nightclubs than the capital, Kiev. Many of them are entertainment complexes where you can choose to boogie, bowl, bathe, banquet, or belt out some karaoke, such as Chicago (Artema Str., 123), Fort Knox (230th Strelkovoy Divizii Str., 39), Garage (Leninskiy Ave., 11-б), Hollywood (Arhitektorov Str., 21) Litsa (Illicha Ave., 89), or Virus (230th Strelkovoy Divizii Str., 1).

For a totally over-the-top, ultimate nouveau riche, experience of nightclub "elegance," try the night club, theatre, restaurant, Seven Heaven (if you're allowed in!) (Illicha Ave., 99-б) Detroit Music City is a live music venue for the younger crowd east of the main city center (Illicha ave., 21-в )
Google Map to Detroit Music City, Donetsk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The Cathedral of Christ Transfigured
The Cathedral of Christ Transfigured is a picturesque, domed and golden-spiked cathedral on the major corridor of Artem Street retains a human dimension in spite of its size, and is surrounded with greenery. It was first built in the 19th century, the project being launched in 1883, but was destroyed by the Bolshviks in 1933. Rebuilding began in the mid-1990s and was completed only in 2006. The bronze of the Archangel Michael on a plinth in front of the cathedral was a gift from the capital city, Kiev, from its Independence Square.
Google Map to Cathedral of Christ Transfigured, Donetsk

What f***ing ever. Bore off.

Portugal 2004 was ace. Beer, Football, Golf, Beach follow by the cycle on repeat. Best Night was Holland V Latvia in Braga where there was a festival which involved, I kid you not, of whacking strangers over the head with foam hammers followed by a load of fireworks and booze. Ace.

This looks about as much fun as your average science trip you were forced to do at School. No Golf. No Beach. Grey concrete buildings. Load of racist Eastern European gangsters trying to fleece you at every chance. It would be like spending a week in Coventry, being hounded by chavs learning about which buildings the Germans bombed with some shite football in between.

Stick Ukraine up your arse. I'll be wathing it in the pub and will be going somewhere nice on Holiday.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Prices, lack of internal transport, unattractive destination (on the face of it at least) will put many off.

But most press are missing out the facts that, many England fans got tickets from UEFA, not through EnglandFans. We'll be fine, I think UEFA said we were the 2nd or 3rd country in terms of ticket sales

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Who'd want to travel all that way and spunk all that money to watch them go out on penalties, you all know they will

I think I'd be quite happy to see England actually get through the group stage and take a knockout game to pens!

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
UEFA plonked England in Ukraine for a reason, they don't like England.

Also, with the finals in Poland / Ukraine, this will allow the papers and news to be full of the tiny pockets of racism and fascism - creating a massive distraction from the covert fascism going on in england that effects millions. BBC have already paved the way with their totally slanted panorama.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
UEFA plonked England in Ukraine for a reason, they don't like England.

Riiiight.

You don't think it was because we were drawn in the same group as Ukraine, and they thought it would be a good idea that they play their group games in, um, Ukraine?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Riiiight.

You don't think it was because we were drawn in the same group as Ukraine, and they thought it would be a good idea that they play their group games in, um, Ukraine?

This is true. However, I also- bloody hell- find myself slightly leaning towards Brunswick on the point that the BBC documentary was fairly subjective. Clearly there are pockets of grim racism going on, which is obviously deplorable. But I would like to know how reflective that is of their society as a whole. After all, any TV company could make a documentary about the UK and suggest that you're at risk from being mugged, stabbed and caught up in a riot, on the basis of footage from last summer. It sounds irrational, but people believe that stuff. Look at how many Japanese tourists turned up here wearing face masks, fearing bird flu or whatever they'd been told was rife, while the 60 million or so of us who actually live here carried on as normal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here