Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England debrief, most and least impressed by

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Ok its a bit embarrassing to get knocked out yet again on penalties but I am happy that we have been spared a spanking by the Germans. On the whole we have performed about how I hoped but not on a par with the best teams. We are rebuilding under Hodgson and hope that Oxo-Chamberlain, Walcott, Welbeck, Cahill, Jones, Cleverley, Jagielka, Lescott and other youngsters get a decent go now rather than just cameos. I would persevere with Hart as he is young although he didn't quite live up to the hype for me, especially on the penalties.

The main worry is our lack of world class players who frighten the opposition, something the FA needs to sort out by capping the numbers of foreign players in the Prem. Not enough young English players at the highest level. But will the new TV money just create another spending spree rather than give any incentive for playing young home grown players?

Finally, how ironic that one of our best players at the Euros was John Terry yet many would not have taken him because of his baggage. I'm not a fan of him as a person but have to admit he was immense for England. Maybe he knows this was probably his last chance at this level.

I agree that Terry had a very good game. At least he showed some passion and spirit.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Rooney - cack
Milner - cack
Gerrard - our best player but last tournament
Terry - our second best playing but likely to be spending time in Ford and probably last tournament
Roy - tactical mastermind I think not -

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Positives - Back 5

Negatives - Rooney, Young and Milner.

Walcott again promised much and didn't deliver, but I don't think the way we played really helped him.

We lack a real true World class player who can affect a game, Portugal are an example of a average side who with a world class player can be successful

we dont have an attacking world class player, that is the problem. Hart, Terry, Lescott, Cole and Johnson have all proven that they are world class, but we just don't have it in attack.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Embarrassing tonight. Having got used to watching my team playing possession football on the ground it was difficult to watch Hart continually lump the ball up front and give it back to the opposition. Poyet has been educating me obviously. Most England players did their best but not good enough. Some promising young lads though with more to come.

Roll on Jack Wilshere's return.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Johnson was class even with that lump Milner in front of him. Cole was top aswell we were let down by unbelievably poor starting wingers and a failure to close down pirlo who made everyone else look poor

Pirlo was given the run of the park, strange no-one was told to close him down, ever - given that before the game everyone was saying he was their key man ......Roy?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
taking the man away from the footballer, Terry has had a superb tournamount

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The pain of defeat always feels worse when you've given it a go. However, we were never in it tonight so I feel flat rather than gutted.

I think the future's bleak. No goalscorer, no Pirlo type player, wide men like Young and Walcott lightweight and inconsistent, our best players Gerrard, Terry, Parker ageing.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Hart was easily our best player. Great positioning, marshals the defence well and fantastic distribution. Did you notice how spot on his kicking was, got to Carroll pretty much every time. Good to see a class England keeper in a league where there's precious few of them.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Welbeck went missing for long periods-roughly 4 games. Young isn't as good as he thinks he is. Rooney was shockingly bad.

A few can hold their heads high: Gerrard, Johnson, Terry, Hart, Carroll (when he was given a chance) and Cole for his defending-we won't mention his girly tap of a penalty.

England all set for its regular re-build after yet another tournament let down.

Get shot of all at the top and start again. Let's get our game back from the idiots whose only concern is making money for the premier league.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Embarrassing tonight. Having got used to watching my team playing possession football on the ground it was difficult to watch Hart continually lump the ball up front and give it back to the opposition. Poyet has been educating me obviously. Most England players did their best but not good enough. Some promising young lads though with more to come.

Interesting to note our players on Twitter tonight, and nearly all talking about possession, passing to white shirts, etc etc. It's being drummed into them too.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Johnson has mostly played very well, much better than I expected, but how often has he been the one not keeping the defensive line? cost us a goal against Sweden, and let in Balotelli at leats a couple of times tonight. I still think Richards is a better rightback.

Young is one of England's best players but he's a forward, he's been used in a very rigid left wing position with a lot of defensive duties which he never normally does. So he's contributed nothing attacking wise because he's been used in such a way that he can't. Milner is the same except he's more naturally suited to that role and not that good attacking wise anyway.

Gerrard's had his best tournament for England. Fair play.

Welbeck was excellent especially in the first two games, for me the shirt is his to lose for the forseeable future.

I wouldn't single any England player out for too much criticism (although Rooney didn't really turn up), the problem isn't the players who are there, it's the players who aren't. A midfield of Parker and Gerrard, those players have individually done well, but they can't pass the ball the way you need to at internatonal level. It's always been the problem. I don't criticise Hodgson too much for the super defensive tactics because I think he realises this. You can see it when Parker talks about 'doing a Chelsea'. We've done half a Chelsea, we've defended doggedly at all times, the amount of times there's been an opening for the opposition then an England leg or chest is thrown in the way of the shot at the last minute is realy impressive. But if you want to do a Chelsea you need to steal a goal or win the penalty shoot out. We never looked like doing either tonight.

England need to overhaul the midfield, obviously Wilshere would have been there if fit, and quite probably Rodwell too. They are a big step in the right direction.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The main worry is our lack of world class players who frighten the opposition, something the FA needs to sort out by capping the numbers of foreign players in the Prem.

Total bollocks. Do you really think that we had some "world class players" they wouldn't get picked? It seems to be the exact opposite to me, very average players attract stratospheric salaries/transfer fees purely because they're English - yes, Ashley Young, I'm looking at you.

I thought we defended well on the whole this tournament and, much as it pains me to say it, John Terry was excellent. As others have mentioned, Gerrard and Johnson have had good tournaments too.

But if Young is one of the best 10 outfield players in England, we're really in trouble and Rooney, once again, is an embarrassment in major tournaments.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I an disappointed that we did not start with 5 in midfield, like in the first group game against the French when we started with Oxo in a more central role with Milner and Young wide plus Gerrard and Parker. That sort of formation might have closed down the space for Italy and put Pirlo under more pressure. The French got Oxo a cheap yellow card and Hodgson felt obliged to sub him. Pity that Oxo didn't get another starting place after that, especially as he had that rare spark of inventivness that we lack.

Mind you neither Milner or Young deserve to keep their place after their performances. Going into the Euros I thought Young might surprise me as he does score decent goals for Man U but showed no hunger and made far too many basic errors. Milner is willing but limited. Maybe Adam Johnson ought to get a chance, he is happy to take on defenders.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
Young was given far too much time over the 4 games considering how poor he's been. Rooney was very poor as well considering so many people consider him our standout player (something I already took issue with before tonight because he rarely ever delivers for England).

I think most of our defensive-minded players made a good account of themselves.

It's essential we develop a quality playmaker and some more competent passers of the ball over the next few years because there's clearly a void in the creativity department.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Welbeck went missing for long periods-roughly 4 games.

they would be the periods when we were camped on the edge of the 18 yd box and he was the only forward outlet. when the ball came out, he usualy lost his defender and made the best of it, trying to hold up the play for support or usfully laying on to others. unlike a certain other 2 Man U players.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Total bollocks. Do you really think that we had some "world class players" they wouldn't get picked? It seems to be the exact opposite to me, very average players attract stratospheric salaries/transfer fees purely because they're English - yes, Ashley Young, I'm looking at you.

Curiously you seem to prove my point (and that of several pundits over the last couple of weeks) that the FA need to get a grip so more English youngsters get a chance to play in the Prem and in turn put pressure on the overpaid average players in their comfort zone like your friend Ashley Young who get into the England squad inspite of poor form and don't show the passion, desire or willingness to die for the England cause, just because there are perceived to be no alternatives. The Prem Clubs would rather play foreign players than English youngsters who are denied a decent chance to develop at the highest level. How many emerging English players made a significant impact in the Champs league last season? They are in the minority at Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal etc - eg how do players like Adam Johnson and Micah Richards at Man C get to develop their game and get regularly selected?

The FA is about to open its new centre for excellence but how do the young home grown talent get into top Prem starting XIs? The Prem clubs just ignore it and splash out on yet another foreigner. Plus why are so many pundits screaming at the FA to place more emphasis on ball skills and retaining possession - tonight was another example of dire inability to keep the ball, our players are technically inferior at international level? It seems to me that there is too much of a conflict of interest between club and country and the FA seems reluctant to redress the balance.

BarStaff216

Aug 6, 2011
most impressed by Johnson. i've alwasy knocked him as a right back who's shit at defending, but he's been pretty decent all 4 games.

Oxlade looked good too and Walcott demostrated what he's about - when given the chance. Welbeck was decent and his goal was sublime.

Least impressed by Young. whats he done other than one run in the first game. utter waste of space, offers little defensivly and not provided anything like the width or pace he should of going forward. should have been dropped for Oxlade.

not too impressed by Rooney either, near his peak with a rest should really have been firing on all cylinders but looked off the pace.

Are you for real ?

Welback is the most self centered, selfish player I have watched for a long time, how he started all three games is beyond me as he offered nothing to the squad.

And his goal was a fluke! End of story.

England are a joke and are better off not bothering at these tournaments.... Oh wait we did that today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here