Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Cricket Captain...

Who, in your opinion should be England test cricket captain?...

• Total voters

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
ronnie irani

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
err no....would rather have strauss. bresnan isnt even in the england team.

strauss for captaincy :bowdown::bowdown:

so who is the top englishman in the rankings at the moment?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
well english number 1 bowler is sidebottom who is like 6 in the world....

really...

its always intrigued me...why do youngsters use the word "like" when it's not required?

Surely he is number 6 in the world, not like number 6 in the world, or surely someone else would be number 6 in the world and he would be like that person?

Current PCA County rankings:

PCA County MVP
28 July 2008 21:30
PTS
1 van Jaarsveld Kent 402.69
2 Arafat Kent 382.08
3 Bresnan Yorkshire 381.48
4 Patel Nottinghamshire 372.65
5 Bopara Essex 359.52
6 S Harmison Durham 352.29
7 McLaren Kent 346.96
8 ten Doeschate Essex 342.17
9 Mahmood Kent 339.73
10 Murtagh Middlesex 339.21

ih8palarse

Jul 30, 2008
really...

its always intrigued me...why do youngsters use the word "like" when it's not required?

Surely he is number 6 in the world, not like number 6 in the world, or surely someone else would be number 6 in the world and he would be like that person?

Current PCA County rankings:

PCA County MVP
28 July 2008 21:30
PTS
1 van Jaarsveld Kent 402.69
2 Arafat Kent 382.08
3 Bresnan Yorkshire 381.48
4 Patel Nottinghamshire 372.65
5 Bopara Essex 359.52
6 S Harmison Durham 352.29
7 McLaren Kent 346.96
8 ten Doeschate Essex 342.17
9 Mahmood Kent 339.73
10 Murtagh Middlesex 339.21

the onlt reason i said 'like' is because i'm not sure of his exact place its either 6 or 8 i wasn't sure

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Interestingly Alec Stewart just mentioned Rob Key as a possible player to bring into the England team... he clearly knows nothing about cricket.

Papa

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
In support of Nasser & Goochie,:rolleyes: i would go for Pettini of Essex.In fact England's line up should be:
Cook
Pettini
Pietersen
Bell
Bopara
Foster
Flintoff
Napier(SUPERMAN, the saviour of English Cricket)
Sidebottom
Anderson
Panesar.

With 5 Essex boys in there, we'd be unstoppable. eh! Nass.

Joking aside, I'm struggling to think of a strong/intelligent enough candidate to take over from Vaughan, who is seriously on the wane as Captain & a Test class batsman.

Interestingly Alec Stewart just mentioned Rob Key as a possible player to bring into the England team... he clearly knows nothing about cricket.

Papa

Eh? Because one (admittedly rather good) former pro gives backing to a player, that means that he must be right and everyone else must be wrong? What if Nasser and Botham were to say that he definitely shouldn't play? Or is Alec Stewart's word gospel?

ih8palarse

Jul 30, 2008
In support of Nasser & Goochie,:rolleyes: i would go for Pettini of Essex.In fact England's line up should be:
Cook
Pettini
Pietersen
Bell
Bopara
Foster
Flintoff
Napier(SUPERMAN, the saviour of English Cricket)
Sidebottom
Anderson
Panesar.

With 5 Essex boys in there, we'd be unstoppable. eh! Nass.

Joking aside, I'm struggling to think of a strong/intelligent enough candidate to take over from Vaughan, who is seriously on the wane as Captain & a Test class batsman.

napier is more one day or 20/20.
and prior instead of foster as wiki

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Eh? Because one (admittedly rather good) former pro gives backing to a player, that means that he must be right and everyone else must be wrong? What if Nasser and Botham were to say that he definitely shouldn't play? Or is Alec Stewart's word gospel?

No, but there have been other people (admittedly not pundits) who have suggested Key.. and I think that we're he to be brought back into the team, he would immediately go to the top of the list of possible captains, IF Vaughan is replaced.

That aside, the big F*ck up the selectors made was bringing Colly back, just weeks after dropping him (without any change in performance). Ravi Bopara and Stuart Broad must be wondering what they need to do.

ih8palarse

Jul 30, 2008
ohh he must have recenly passed ntini... there we go i prove my point..he is the number 1 england bowler

No, but there have been other people (admittedly not pundits) who have suggested Key.. and I think that we're he to be brought back into the team, he would immediately go to the top of the list of possible captains, IF Vaughan is replaced.

I don't think Key could really be at the top of the list; it has to be a player who, at least at the time the decision is made, is guaranteed their spot in the side. That wouldn't be the case unless Key was in the team for at least 12 months... by which time I think Cook would be ready for it anyway.

I agree entirely with your Collingwood comments. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to bring him back.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
A Cook
A Strauss
O Shah
K Pietersen
I Bell
R Bopara
C Read
A Flintoff
S Jones