Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Campbell

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Beckham demonstrated vs Austria that he is a poor captain.

He could see that England needed to raise their game after half-time but because he lacks the communication skills to get this over he thought he would lead by example and put himself about a bit, then he gets a bit carried away, then he gets sent off.

Yes, he was unlucky but he was also unlucky vs Argentina. This sort of thing happens to Beckham. The point is he should be telling Lampard and Gerrard to do this work as they are better tacklers than him.

My captain would be John Terry. He seems to be making a good job of it at Chelsea, and if it's good enough for Mourinho it should be good enough for England.

The only other candidate is Gerrard, but I don't think that would work with Beckham alongside him in midfield.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
so basically...beckham should not tackle because he is more likely to get sent off??

ok so his job is to stand there and let them run past him!?:nono:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
i cant believe people saying beckham isnt a role model for the team. i would rather in a captain have a guy who runs for 90 mins non stop, goes into every challenge and can produce inspiring pieces of skill(beckham) rather than a defender(who yes is talented) but i feel dosent set such an example as non-stop effort of becks.

only my opinion though

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
so basically...beckham should not tackle because he is more likely to get sent off??

ok so his job is to stand there and let them run past him!?:nono:

Beckham is not a very good tackler, but contested for the ball 3 times in one minute. Even Paul Ince at his best would struggle to match that output. All three challenges were pretty poor.

My point is that Beckham takes it upon himself to change the game, rather than communicates with the team to get a collective improvement. This is the main reason why we as a team are unable to change our tactics mid-game.

Somebody else like Gerrard or Lampard should be putting in those sort of challenges because they're better at it than him.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
no option for Rooney then, what with his calm and clear thinking attitude :lolol: :lolol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes Beckham made 3 poor tackles in a minute, if Ince had done so then his opponent would have left the pitch at the same time as he did, on a stretcher.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if he were to be fit for long enough, then the answer is obviously Campbell. the next two candidates are Gerrard who was easily the most commited player against Austria, and Lampard who has better vision of the overall game (though his recent performances are below par).

E

enigma

AJ:jester:

Terry ideally, but it would be a drama to get rid of Beckham.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
sir danny cullip said:
Terry needs to really establish himself in the england line up, it wasn't so long ago he was third/fourth choice centre back. When he does that it will be terry easily..

I think your have a good point there! Amazing that no-one so far has voted Owen although he WILL be the one leading the team out tomorrow night!:dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here