Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England B

NewtownRoad

Mar 3, 2006
Hove
Got myself a ticket for the game at Reading. No doubt many will remember the match against Italy at the Goldstone in 1989. Some great players on show and people locked out the ground.
if only ...

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Re: 1989 game - I was in the north stand - Nigel Martyn had just signed for Palace for a record fee for a golakeeper and had...well a slightly muted reception shall we say! Peter Beagrie was different class turning the full back inside and out. Gazza played and Steve Bull missed a couple of sitters - I seem to remember. One of the Italians scioreda 30 yarder passed martyn - can't remember who it was but it was someone famous that played iun the 1990 Worl dCup I think

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
dunno said:
Re: 1989 game - I was in the north stand - Nigel Martyn had just signed for Palace for a record fee for a golakeeper and had...well a slightly muted reception shall we say! Peter Beagrie was different class turning the full back inside and out. Gazza played and Steve Bull missed a couple of sitters - I seem to remember. One of the Italians scioreda 30 yarder passed martyn - can't remember who it was but it was someone famous that played iun the 1990 Worl dCup I think

I can't remember who scored the Italy goal, but I know Toto Schilliaci (sp?) was in the Italian side an he went on to be top scorer at Italia 90.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
I can't remember who scored the Italy goal, but I know Toto Schilliaci (sp?) was in the Italian side an he went on to be top scorer at Italia 90.
I am led to believe it was a certain Roberto Baggio (or "The Divine Ponytail", however you wish to remember him).

from the FA web site

"The pattern continued of good young players impressing in "B" matches and swiftly becoming established in the senior team.

On a great night at Brighton & Hove Albion's former Goldstone ground in 1989, with 18,000 packed inside and many more locked out, Paul Gascoigne strutted his stuff against his Italy "B" counterparts.

Within seven or eight months "Gazza" had wowed us all with his performances during the World Cup. ":drink: :drink: :drink: :albion:

exept that the official attendance was 16125

Last edited:

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
dunno said:
That was my first ever football game, i remember that when we scored i was having a piss at the time, and it was Tony Adams who scored it, and it finished 1-1

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
i shall be going wearing this :jester:

1114xs.jpg

Last edited:

1066gull

intresting...i will give my villagers a beep if they want to see a football match out of season.

Last edited:

Bert365

May 7, 2006
Im going too think its gonna be a good one. What do you think the score will be ive gone for 4-1

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
dunno said:

:clap: :clap: I wuz there too:clap:

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
does anyone know the squad from the night, the only player i remember is Tonly Adams

D

Deleted User X18H

I was in the north stand Sprtmeber /Ocotber 1989 thopught Peter Beagrie was fantastic stood next to some Wolves fans cheering on Bully lots of Waps in the South Stand and remember Toto Schilliachi playing fot the Italians ........well he was listed on the programme.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here