Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Away Free To Air?

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
So the only reason you can not watch england away is that the rights for the away games have been sold to sentana,who have not had a fair offer for the highlights.

the game is free on the radio (5live).

the bbc obviously dont want to waste money for the highlights program,itv probably cant afford it .

could this now lead to the broadcasters putting in more realistic quotes for life matches

will enough people pay subscription to sentana, sultana or whoever they are called?

could this be the death of watching england football?

and will alan green have an absolute fit about the fact that you can only get free live to air england away qualifiers on radio 5

discuss.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Is Andy Murray on at the same time - could be if the match takes a long time? Could it be that more people watch Andy Murray in the US Semi Finals on Sky than watch England on Setanta?

US OPEN MEN'S SEMI-FINALS
Venue: Arthur Ashe Stadium, Flushing Meadows Date: Saturday, 6 September Play starts: 1600 BST Coverage: Live on Sky Sports 1 and BBC 5 Live Sports Extra (on AM, digital and via the BBC Sport website), live text commentary on BBC Sport website

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Last time I paid my BBC licence fee I think it was more expensive than what I pay for Setanta.

And the BBC don't show such brilliant games as Ebsfleet v Torquay and Hamilton Academical v Dundee.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
the bbc obviously dont want to waste money for the highlights program,itv probably cant afford it .... and will alan green have an absolute fit about the fact that you can only get free live to air england away qualifiers on radio 5

I'm sure ITV can afford it - they just don't want to pay an inflated price.

And Alan Green won't care really. He'll be watching live...

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Even though watching England always leaves me with a resigned, deflated sense of apathy, I'd still like to have the chance to watch some highlights. To think, the England TV deal is apparently thought to be Barwick's great achievement at the FA(!)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I want to post something sensible and considered here...but am so incandescent with rage about England games not being freely available to the nation that I will either fill my post with obscenities (resulting in a lengthy ban)...or my head will explode. Suffice it to say that the FA are in charge of the beautiful game in our country and they have stuffed up big-time on this one...presumably so they could screw a few more quid out of a tv deal, don't they consider that fewer people having access to live games will impact on interest at a lower level...aaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Football, once one of the few pleasures for the working man...not for much longer apparently.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is there nowhere on the internet where this game can be watched.

johnjim

Sep 2, 2008
bexhill
Rest assured the FA and a load of side kicks will be at the game to represent us,having travelled in five star comfort at no expense to themselves.The FA fall over themselves to sell fans short, don't sign for Setanta you will be adding to the sell out.And you might get the game live on My P 2P if you are lucky

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I heard a figure quoted recently that Setanta pay BSP clubs the princely sum of £5k to air a live match, that seems like pretty cheap tv in my opinion, they then decide when the game will be aired...hence you have matches on Thursday and Sunday evenings, which is a little stupid.

Last season I watched FGR versus Crawley on a Sunday evening, from memory they even delayed the kick-off because something else they were showing hadn't finished...I doubt if the audience was particularly high, after all who would really be interested in what was on offer outside a Gloucestershire village and a town in West Sussex.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
its not OUR fa that sells the rights for away qualifiers its the home side that sells the rights. Barwick is not responsible for this cock up. he is however resposible for other cock ups by The FA.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Is Andy Murray on at the same time - could be if the match takes a long time? Could it be that more people watch Andy Murray in the US Semi Finals on Sky than watch England on Setanta?

US OPEN MEN'S SEMI-FINALS
Venue: Arthur Ashe Stadium, Flushing Meadows Date: Saturday, 6 September Play starts: 1600 BST Coverage: Live on Sky Sports 1 and BBC 5 Live Sports Extra (on AM, digital and via the BBC Sport website), live text commentary on BBC Sport website

Cant see too many people south of Gretna watching the Andy Murray match.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
everyone blames the FA, do they even have any control over TV rights for away games? didnt hear anyone praising the FA in last qualifers when the BBC ended up with lots of away games in small countries while Sky brought the home games.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
the FA must have some influence on TV rights for away games as all the advertising hoardings in the small countries stadiums are aimed at the UK market.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The England away games are FTA if you keep an eye on the satellite feed websites and have a motorised satellite dish.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here