Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Apathy

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Bit if a strange theory this but after discussing England etc with a couple of mates and the apparent lack of passion for the national side etc we wondered wether this might be partly down to the fact we hav eso many forieng player sin this country now that to some supporters of some clubs may see players as their own e.g Ballotelli at City etc and does this make them less get behind England as alot of their club players are playing and tpeople are quite happy to see them do well as well. I you go back to say 1990 there were a lot less foriegn players we new much about so they were seen more as the enemy than they are now or is it just down to the fact that England are just not very good?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Also, is it just me who actually quite likes the Germans now? their quality, pace, attacking flair has meant i've enjoyed seeing them succeed - and even in 2010 didn't feel any bitterness towards them. they're simply class.

And I actually prefer their style compared with Spains. Spain are clearly exceptionally talented but I prefer the way Germany use their possession. It's still about ball retention but with a little more thrust and greater use of the wings

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
England now are just a sideline to watch when Albion aren't playing to me. We used to go up to the old Wembley on the day of an international pay on the gate and get greatly entertained , although that was a good few years ago .
Now I just watch the competitive games on TV as friendlies are just meaningless and boring and qualifiers are not far better.
We have a lot of players who still put put more into there club football than international football in my opinion, but hen again clubs pay the mega bucks !
The problem of international football teams being poor started years should on Italy when they started the trend of importing all foreign players and there national team went to shit, and here we are 20 years on we are now in the same state I'm afraid.

Or am I just getting old and grumpy ??

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Also, is it just me who actually quite likes the Germans now? their quality, pace, attacking flair has meant i've enjoyed seeing them succeed - and even in 2010 didn't feel any bitterness towards them. they're simply class.

And I actually prefer their style compared with Spains. Spain are clearly exceptionally talented but I prefer the way Germany use their possession. It's still about ball retention but with a little more thrust and greater use of the wings

Totally agree, I much prefer watching the Germans than the Spanish. The Spanish retain the ball exceptionally well but half of the passes are pointless. The Germans have a nice mix of pace, strength, direct football sometimes, and tactical awareness.

After Euro 2000 both England and Germany were in the gutter as far as International football was concerned. Look where both teams are now and how many semi finals and finals the Germans have made in the last 12 years. The media moan about the state of English football after every tournament but its totally forgotten come Premiership kick off time, even lambasting the F.A for arranging friendlies just before the season starts when its clear England need as much time together as possible.

Fans don't help either. I've seen England on occasion at Wembley pass it around the opposition box waiting for the right moment but the crowd get restless and just want to see the ball swung into the box, inevitably someone does and it dribbles away for a goal kick.

It's in our DNA, we just want to get the ball forward as fast as possible. Until that changes we'll just give the ball away and chase around like headless chickens. You can get away with this type of football in this country as both teams play it so possession changes every couple of minutes but in Europe or on the International stage it just doesn't work

In fairness to England and the other home nations they have to change their style of play more than any other team when it comes to International football.

If we are going to change the culture of football at grass roots you wont probably see the benefits for another 20 years so expect more limp performance at major tournaments in the near future.

Last edited:

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Bit if a strange theory this but after discussing England etc with a couple of mates and the apparent lack of passion for the national side etc we wondered wether this might be partly down to the fact we hav eso many forieng player sin this country now that to some supporters of some clubs may see players as their own e.g Ballotelli at City etc and does this make them less get behind England as alot of their club players are playing and tpeople are quite happy to see them do well as well. I you go back to say 1990 there were a lot less foriegn players we new much about so they were seen more as the enemy than they are now or is it just down to the fact that England are just not very good?
Still trying to decipher the wording

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Fans don't help either. I've seen England on occasion at Wembley pass it around the opposition box waiting for the right moment but the crowd get restless and just want to see the ball swung into the box, inevitably someone does and it dribbles away for a goal kick.

It's in our DNA, we just want to get the ball forward as fast as possible. Until that changes we'll just give the ball away and chase around like headless chickens. You can get away with this type of football in this country as both teams play it so possession changes every couple of minutes but in Europe or on the International stage it just doesn't work

Substitute England for Brighton and the same happens at the Amex, I hope that after the first season there the percentage of our fans who are stuck in 1982 make the transition to 2012

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Substitute England for Brighton and the same happens at the Amex, I hope that after the first season there the percentage of our fans who are stuck in 1982 make the transition to 2012

I agree to a degree, but sometimes when the Albion have a chance to break quickly they tend to be a bit slow and have a few too many passes allowing the opposing team to get back in formation. When it starts from the back four then there's no reason to rush, but it can be frustrating when a simple long ball to the wing when the opponents attack is thwarted and they are hopelessly out of position would be a better option.

Just an observation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here