Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Engines. Anyone?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Anyone know anything about engines?

My lawn mower has decided to start blowing out thick plumes of white smoke through a rusty hole in the side of a little metal box.

I think it may not be coincidence that I just filled it up with oil.

Is it buggered or should I just reap and mow until the smoke stops?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think Lord Bracknell is the font of all knowledge concerning lawn mowers. :thumbsup:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Which hole did you put the oil in?

I put it down the hole with the oil dipper thing in. It did consume a rather alarming quantity and there has been leakage - I don't know if this is due to overfilling or another problem. Is it related to the smoke?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
What type of oil did you put in?
Engine oil from the garage - said it was "multipurpose" or suchlike...

Do you know a bit? Is the rusted hole a problem or do you think it is the oil?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Overfilling the oil will produce white smoke from the exhaust. Check the level on the dipstick - is it above the maximum mark?

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
If the white smoke looks a little blue it could be too much oil. If it's pure white smoke it normally means water - condensation if first use of the year, cracked head, bust block, blown gaskets... buy a Flymo.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Years ago, I filled up a Rover 2600 with oil, unaware a colleague had also put nearly a gallon in :blush:

Cue white smoke aplenty from the exhaust when we fired it up, until we drained out the excess, and let it tick over for a while to burn off any oil that was where it shouldn't be...

So, check you haven't overfilled it. If you have, drain it to the correct level, then let it run for a while to burn off any excess :thumbsup:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
You have overfilled it.Empty some out!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
relieved that it might be a simple overfilling situation - what is the best way to empty some out?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Tip it on its side. The only problem is that the petrol will come out as well. Once you have done this you will give yourself a heart attack trying to start it, as there is now oil on the plug down the exhaust and every orifice, clean the plug and pull away to clear the pipes, put the plug back in and it might start before you die. I'm all right at this as I have a pacemaker and was bought up with 2stroke outboard engines. :down:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Is the rusty hole where the smoke is coming out a problem in itself...? It looks like there might be meant to be a hole there for air to come out but I'm not sure - it has definitely rusted...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Probably the exhaust or what's left of it.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Tip it on its side. The only problem is that the petrol will come out as well. Once you have done this you will give yourself a heart attack trying to start it, as there is now oil on the plug down the exhaust and every orifice, clean the plug and pull away to clear the pipes, put the plug back in and it might start before you die. I'm all right at this as I have a pacemaker and was bought up with 2stroke outboard engines. :down:
this all sounds a bit tricky... what does "the plug" look like and is it easy to remove...? when you say "pull away" do you mean the starter cord and with the plug deliberately left out...?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Probably the exhaust or what's left of it.
I thought it could be "the exhaust" - does it matter that it is rusted through a bit...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here