Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Energy bills to top £4200 at the start of next year

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There’s nothing like constructive criticism, and that is nothing like constructive criticism.

Your faith in Starmer is admirable, I hope you’re right, when not being sarcy he seems to have the answers to everything and has had since the pandemic began, normally in hindsight though.

Happy to see him give it a go

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Does anyone else find it to be next to useless telling us how bills will be XXX more expensive over a year? I may live in a bedsit, you may live in a five bedroomed mansion with a swimming pool. How is anyone supposed to be able to know what the increase is likely to be to them personally with the way the scare mongering prices are being bandied about?

No I agree. We hear the 'cap' will be £5,000, £6,000, £7,000, whatever and that isn't true - you won't hit that much and then stop paying regardless of how much more you use, so it isn't a 'cap'.

The figure is worked out apparently on the 'average' household, which as a general guide is useless. How big is the house? How many people in it? What temperature do they like their CH set at? Do they bath or shower? How much cooking do they do?. There's way too many variables for people to say the 'cap' is £4,569 or whatever and present it like it's been accurately arrived at and set in stone.

The capped figure is the price charged per unit (and the standing charge). However that's in pence (at the moment!) and I guess saying 'Gas is now 15p a unit!' isn't nearly so dramatic as saying 'Energy cap is now £4,569!"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not sure you would accept any criticism against Sir Kier :)

Yes, I would. I am not a Labour member, and haven’t voted Labour for 20 years or so.
At the moment, he is a lot better than the criminals in charge at present.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, I would. I am not a Labour member, and haven’t voted Labour for 20 years or so.
At the moment, he is a lot better than the criminals in charge at present.

You know this for a fact, even though he has never been in power?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your faith in Starmer is admirable, I hope you’re right, when not being sarcy he seems to have the answers to everything and has had since the pandemic began, normally in hindsight though.

Happy to see him give it a go

I don't have 'faith' in Keir Starmer. He is the best of a bad bunch in Parliament at present.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't have 'faith' in Keir Starmer. He is the best of a bad bunch in Parliament at present.

Maybe….as I said before it’s easy to snipe maybe not so easy to be in charge.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it workable in the real world though? I can live with as much smugness as he can muster if so

Tell you what, why don’t we analyze Starmer’s and Boris’ (or whoever runs the show these days) plan side by side? Then we can decide who’s is more workable. Care to provide a link to the Tory plan?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You know this for a fact, even though he has never been in power?

It's just that when the current government are a bunch of duplicitous, incompetent, selfish crooks that has crushed civil rights, imposed a hard-brexit that is clearly failing, that doesn't tax energy firms making billions, that votes to allow private water firms to discharge sewage into our seas, and that upsets our allies and closest trading partners, it's easy to assume the alternative is probably better.

I don't agree with [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] when he says "vote Tory, get Tory", mind. I now know there are many thousands of decent Tories out there - they're the ones turning their backs on the current government.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes. I worked with him. When has he been arrested or found out in fraud?

I am not supporting the current government just suggesting that Sir Kier has not inspired me at any time to think “yeah, that’s the man to sort out this shitfest”

I’m not convinced there’s a politician capable of doing it :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's just that when the current government are a bunch of duplicitous, incompetent, selfish crooks that has crushed civil rights, imposed a hard-brexit that is clearly failing, that doesn't tax energy firms making billions, that votes to allow private water firms to discharge sewage into our seas, and that upsets our allies and closest trading partners, it's easy to assume the alternative is probably better.

I don't agree with [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] when he says "vote Tory, get Tory", mind. I now know there are many thousands of decent Tories out there - they're the ones turning their backs on the current government.

Don't forget this current lot sacked 21 of their own MPs when they didn't vote for whatever Jonhson wanted.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I am not arguing about any of what you say, it’s just Thunderbolts constant posting of what a man not in power would do as though it’s the silver bullet to end this shitfest that irritates me.

It may be, I hope it is :shrug :

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
43b84fef684af276e291e395575a7482cd8ede445cf4bc03407035a3d09e920a_1 (1).jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Fully costed …be interesting to see exactly how much would be raised by the tax he is suggesting against the support talked about and how that would affect investment in the North Sea etc and the range of energy companies involved…plus plans for next year and onwards

it aims to raise £8bn from windfall taxes rather than £5bn, by back dating it to start of the year. the rest of the costing is based on existing promised spending and a saving on debt payments on assumption inflation is reduced by 4%. its also based on the April cap and prices. basically a ~£1000 sub to each bill, though not explained how its implemented, which is vitially important for that inflation effect.
https://labour.org.uk/press/keir-st...an-to-address-the-tory-cost-of-living-crisis/

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Lets face it - the majority of the increase is because of Russia invading Ukraine. The west is sanctioning Russia and they are effectively cutting the gas (or reducing it) to the west - increasing the price.

I think it was a previous poster who said we are effectively at war with Russia - this is true. A s such we need to increase the tax on the wealthiest and borrow as if it was a war - mitigating the effects to alleviate fuel/food poverty, but at the same time massively build up our renewable s. We are a country surrounded by sea currents and wind. Its an investment. Granted it wont happen overnight, but we really need to start building wind farms all around our coastline and tidal generators on the severn etc

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
it aims to raise £8bn from windfall taxes rather than £5bn, by back dating it to start of the year. the rest of the costing is based on existing promised spending and a saving on debt payments on assumption inflation is reduced by 4%. its also based on the April cap and prices. basically a ~£1000 sub to each bill, though not explained how its implemented, which is vitially important for that inflation effect.
https://labour.org.uk/press/keir-st...an-to-address-the-tory-cost-of-living-crisis/

They surmise that this cap would reduce inflation by 4% which seems wildly optimistic to me, but as a short term fix it seems to be a lot better than what the current government are doing about this serious problem which appears to be *checks notes* absolutely f**k all.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I meet a lot of your criteria as do a lot of my generation but certainly I don't expect the government to fund my position nor do the people I know who are in a similar position.

There's a big difference between some groups in particular generations. There are those who recognise that they are in a decent position through a combination of hard work and a bit of luck with overly generous pensions and redundancy terms that would never be given out to people starting work today. There are also those that sit in the golf club bar who believe that luck had nothing to do with how they got there, that the young should pay for the lot and not recognising any of the benefits that existed from one generation to the next. Good luck to anyone in Category A, I don't begrudge anyone retiring when they can afford to, but not so much those in Category B.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here