Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

End of window signings... what happens with medicals?

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
When you think of all the last minute transfers... right up to the wire... what do the buying clubs do about medicals? I've never read of a renege because of a hidden injury after the transfer. Is it a case buy as seen? Any theories or any facts on this please?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I would imagine these guys see so many physios and doctors throughout their career that there's a lot of detailed paperwork covering most of their history. Any medical would only be to look at any known existing issues or to look for obvious unknown ones, I would think. There must be some sort of contractual penaly for undisclosed known injuries, I'm sure.

I don't suppose the process is too difficult on the day.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I would imagine these guys see so many physios and doctors throughout their career that there's a lot of detailed paperwork covering most of their history. Any medical would only be to look at any known existing issues or to look for obvious unknown ones, I would think. There must be some sort of contractual penaly for undisclosed known injuries, I'm sure.

I don't suppose the process is too difficult on the day.

I think that's basically it - I *think* you can legally have a get-out clause if the player subsequently fails a medical, so you can complete all the paperwork with a little asterisk that says subject to subsequent medical. I don't ever recall one going back the next day, although having said that we're never told these days when a player fails a medical, so maybe that's what has really happened when we get the "it turns out the paperwork wasn't done on time" line.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's like buying a house

Admittedly I'm not yet on the property ladder, but there isn't a 11pm deadline for exchanging contracts is there? So you can take your time to get your survey done etc.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's only the deal that has to be agreed, I'm sure last season one of the premiership sides signed a player on deadline day and he completed his medical and transfer the following day...possibly Arteta

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's only the deal that has to be agreed, I'm sure last season one of the premiership sides signed a player on deadline day and he completed his medical and transfer the following day...possibly Arteta

Didn't that happen with Arshavin?

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Not unusual for clubs to use 3rd party medical examiners who might be independent of a club but close enough to run through the medical at short notice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here