Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

End of season clearout ?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I know it's early to be thinking of such things as we still have a lot to play for, but I thought I would raise this issue to see what everyone thinks.

I feel in the summer McGhee needs to clearout a lot of the dead wood just like Micky Adams did when he first came. Then next season (whatever division we are in) McGhee can start to build his own team and then be judged on his own merits.

A few players who I feel have had their day and should be released would include : Watson, Pethick, Pitcher, Lee, and even possibly Oatway and Harty.

I'm not expecting everyone to agree with the above, but who would you like to see the club release to free up wages, and who would you realistically like to see come in ?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
southstandandy said:
I know it's early to be thinking of such things as we still have a lot to play for, but I thought I would raise this issue to see what everyone thinks.

I feel in the summer McGhee needs to clearout a lot of the dead wood just like Micky Adams did when he first came. Then next season (whatever division we are in) McGhee can start to build his own team and then be judged on his own merits.

A few players who I feel have had their day and should be released would include : Watson, Pethick, Pitcher, Lee, and even possibly Oatway and Harty.

I'm not expecting everyone to agree with the above, but who would you like to see the club release to free up wages, and who would you realistically like to see come in ?

With the exception of Pitcher, who hasn't been given a chance, I agree entirely. And painful as it may be to say it, I think Mayo should be added to the list.

:(

Last edited:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Yeah thats a fact although i bet these useless ones turn on the style when it gets near the time and mc ghee surely isn't that stupid.:rolleyes:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Don't care after they have gone and the only way we can get shot is when the contracts are up,so does that clear it up.:lolol:

They would barely get interest from div 3:lolol:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
southstandandy said:
Watson, Pethick, Pitcher, Lee, and even possibly Oatway and Harty.

I think you have pretty much nailed it on the head, I was slated by Harty on the phone in for even daring to critisise his idolised namesake, but it is time to get rid, and we may even get a few quid for him as I think he has a year left on his contract, his play is average at best, and this '110% for the Albion' nonsense Harty keeps coming out with really doesnt wash with me anymore.

To that list I would definately add Hammond Marney and Virgo who will no doubt go on to great things at Ringmer or Worthing, but it would be unfair to judge Rodger and Blackwell at the moment for obvious reasons.

Guy Butters certainly merits a one year extension, and unless he is really dense, at his age should not be expecing mega bucks so I think on his displays of late I would offer him terms.

Kerry Mayo is the enigma, I think he has consistantly made errors this season, whether thats down to fitness, or just not being able to cut it any more I am not sure, I think he should be made aware by MM that he is playing the rest of the season to prove he is worth not getting the boot.

Hey ho, we shall see !

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Re: Re: End of season clearout ?

Rougvie said:
Kerry Mayo is the enigma, I think he has consistantly made errors this season, whether thats down to fitness, or just not being able to cut it any more I am not sure, I think he should be made aware by MM that he is playing the rest of the season to prove he is worth not getting the boot.

[/B]

Kerry has responded well in the past to being dropped, so this might work. I think he gets complacent and lets his fitness levels fall away when he's an automatic choice for a long time.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Yes and there are tons of better players just waiting for that phone call from Mr McGhee aren't there? Just because you lose players doesn't mean you'll get better replacements. Watson, Oatway, Hart? I would deffinatly not lose them. I think the majority of those out of contract should get new one's too.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Beck - definitely keep. Gets rave reviews in the reserves.
Blackwell - keep if fully fit
Butters - keep if will accept massively reduced wages (one of our highest earners) otherwise go and play El-Abd or Hinsh
Hammond - go
Jones - useful and not unskilful in a small squad - decide at end of season
Lee - go
Marney - go will never be a Div 1 player
Pethick - useful and not unskillful in a small squad - decide at end of season
Piercy - keep
Pitcher - go
Rodger - go, doesn't have another season left in him, this one was his last hoorah
Virgo - keep, still young and improving

The rest are still under contract and we are stuck with IMHO.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'd keep Blackwell (provided he makes a successful return in March), Piercey and Rodger (if he makes a successful return). I might keep Beck (he needs a couple of games in the first team) and Butters - but only if he's realistic about his wages. If Hammond can start playing with confidence then he could be useful too.

All the rest have either been fully exposed at this (or a lower) level, or we have ample cover for.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Of those whose contracts are up..

Beck Go
Blackwell Keep
Butters Go please Go and never return
Hammond Go
Jones Keep
Lee Go
Marney Go
Pethick Go
Piercy Keep
Pitcher Go
Rodger Keep
Virgo Keep

Why is it you all want to keep Jones?! Along with Watson, Harty, Pitcher, Mayo, Oatway and Butters, he should go. I think it's a big myth that Jones is skillful. OK he does that funny skippy thing every now and then on his way down a cul-de-sac, but his passing is desperate, tackling a bag-o-shite and he just typifies the comfort zone that a lot of our longer serving players exist in. He's third division, no better. Compare him to Brooker, who scored goals, created goals, worried defences constantly, knew when to pass it to someone in a better position and most importantly ENTERTAINED THE CROWD!!!!

I'm quite prepared to write this season off, finish 14th, have a Furniture Warehouse-style Massive Clearance, pick up some freebies in the summer, start playing more of the youngsters and start all over again.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I know this is gonna soun ridiculous but when I'm playing CM4 I generally have a summer clear-out at the end of the first season, I would have them all play the first half of the season and by jan/feb those that I want out would be relegated to the reserves until their contract runs out in the summer or straight onto the market if not.

Wonder if McGhee thinks the same?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here