Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

empty grounds

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
There is an opportunity here for Brighton and other lower league clubs. Yes, its riduculously expensive to travel miles to see a Premiership side, say in London. The cost of railfare, tube and the ticket will set you back around £75 a go each!!. So local clubs need to make it far more attractive for families to attend.

Hopefully, Falmer will be priced so that families will opt to see Brighton play, rather than say Spurs.

Also, if I were in charge of a football club in these difficult economic times, I would have children under 16 pay a £1 to get in with a fare paying adult. 16 - 18 year olds half price (as they will be in school, but with pockey money/ Sat morning job) and 18 year olds full fare.

That way you will get the families in, and once you have hooked a 16 year old, then they will in turn be full paying adults hopefully for life. Season tickets to be on a similar basis.

Airlines would rather have a £1 a seat rather than seat be empty, so why are football clubs different

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
There is an opportunity here for Brighton and other lower league clubs. Yes, its riduculously expensive to travel miles to see a Premiership side, say in London. The cost of railfare, tube and the ticket will set you back around £75 a go each!!. So local clubs need to make it far more attractive for families to attend.

Hopefully, Falmer will be priced so that families will opt to see Brighton play, rather than say Spurs.

Also, if I were in charge of a football club in these difficult economic times, I would have children under 16 pay a £1 to get in with a fare paying adult. 16 - 18 year olds half price (as they will be in school, but with pockey money/ Sat morning job) and 18 year olds full fare.

That way you will get the families in, and once you have hooked a 16 year old, then they will in turn be full paying adults hopefully for life. Season tickets to be on a similar basis.

Airlines would rather have a £1 a seat rather than seat be empty, so why are football clubs different

Like the thinking but I can't see Falmer offering any cheap deals. Got to be priced the same as Withdean or more I would of thought

On a side not, good to see only 16k at Pompey on Saturday. They'll be back to 10k before long

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts

Don't forget student prices, around half the adult price.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I really don't see the issue here, audiences in all leagues have been on the up and up in the past 10-15 years, at some stage this is bound to level out. In the lower league historically clubs have very rarely filled their ground on a regular basis, that's no different now than what it was 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
In spain only 20 or so euros to get into a top game - unless its barca or real.

A couple of years a go I read that the cheapest season ticket (adult) for Juve was about £100. They don't sell out every week, so they drop the price ..... the problem seems to be a British one.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
only 1,500 at darlington yesterday :'(

Darlington-Arena_2399995.jpg

You've gotta speculate to accumulate I suppose. Gulp.

Last edited:

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Attendances at league matches may just top 30 million this season for the first time since the late 1960s so prices don't appear to be putting that many people off.

To put this into some context in the 80s attendances dipped to around 16.5 million.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
This may sound crazy, but in 20 years time if the Premiership bubble hasn't already burst, SKY - or whoever has the Broadcasting rights at the time will be giving tickets away - or even paying people to attend some games - for all those games not involving a few elite top teams.

With Internet and TV showing ALL games live in a few years, who will actually bother to turn up 'in the flesh' to watch Wigan v Birmingham on a wet Monday night?

The TV companies will want people there to create an atmosphere, thus the need to give tickets away.

A couple of years a go I read that the cheapest season ticket (adult) for Juve was about £100. They don't sell out every week, so they drop the price ..... the problem seems to be a British one.

Juventus very rarely sell out. Since they moved out of the centre of turin to the Stadio delle Alpi in 1990 their support dwindled and there was even talk of them moving to a city where they could guarantee better support than they were enjoying in Turin. They have moved back to the Stadio Communale, but their attenedances are still vey poor for all but the biggest eUROPEAN GAMES.

Attendance v Fulham 11,406

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here