Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Employment / retirement question

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My colleague will be 65 next year, and is considering retirement. Conversely, she is also considering not retiring. She is very good at her job, but then said that she will probably get turfed out on her 65th birthday anyway.

That to me doesn't sound right. Notwithstanding that both parties (her and the company) might want to continue with the status quo, and she carry on working, can a company unilaterally release someone purely on the back of the fact that they've reached retirement age?

I thought the act of retirement was down to the individual. :shrug:

D

Deleted User X18H

Surely her contract will state that she will be employed up to her retirement age.

I don't think an organisation is obliged to prolong this after retirement age is reached. That is when a state pension will kick in and this will have a bearing on income tax etc.

islingtonseagull

Jan 6, 2010
Employers can legally force retirement at age 65. This is the one rule that does not breach the age discrimination act.

However, if the employer agrees the employment can continue.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
My colleague will be 65 next year, and is considering retirement. Conversely, she is also considering not retiring. She is very good at her job, but then said that she will probably get turfed out on her 65th birthday anyway.

That to me doesn't sound right. Notwithstanding that both parties (her and the company) might want to continue with the status quo, and she carry on working, can a company unilaterally release someone purely on the back of the fact that they've reached retirement age?

I thought the act of retirement was down to the individual. :shrug:

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] Age discrimination : Directgov - Employment

Might be worth them reading this, I know that if the employer allows them to continue then the employee must give 6 months notice before they can retire.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Is the age-pension still set at 60 for women in Britain then ?
Here in Oz , it's been ratcheted up to 65 .
A 6 month age increase every year for 10 years has it now on parity with men .
However it won't stay like that for too long as the male age is going to be
hiked up to 67 in the not too distant future .
A combination of an aging population and a longer life expectancy
being the catalyst .
The Greeks have it kick in at 61 I believe .
All hell broke loose , with large scale civil unrest when the government attempted to raise it to 63 .
All coming back to haunt them now .

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
My employment contract says I automatically stop working when I reach my 65th birthday.

I want to have put my feet up long before then though...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My employment contract says I automatically stop working when I reach my 65th birthday.

I want to have put my feet up long before then though...

Same here, hopefully around 53 to 55 is my retirement unless I m made redundant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here