Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Employment law question

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This appears to be a well balanced thread. Not the usual hot air.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I personal think it will take some RADIcAL thinking to get the bosses seeing straight.

Wouldn't apply too much PRESSURE though, they may not have the SHOULDERS to deal with the situation - could BLOW OUT right in front of you.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Chances are its an over zealous manager who's stuck in the past, there are still a few of them knocking about in that part of the trade. A quick call to the correct department at head office should sort it :thumbsup:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Yeah good idea, take your employer to court over a poxy day off. No wonder this country is f***ed when everyone is trying to get out of doing a hard days work.

The same people will no doubt be the first to moan when redundancies come round and they find themselves for some "unknown" reason top of the list.

Well yes I would agree with you if I was an ignorant troll.

Are you not able to see the difference between, taking legal advice and going to court ?

This country in so many ways is just fine, without moaning twats like you trying to drag everyone down, to your own level of misery.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i'm slick and tyred of people coming up with puns to threads like this!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Dear Arthur, you may look like less of a twat if you actually read the OP.

Read it, wasn't quoting that. Was quoting the chap who suggested getting legal advice over a day off!!! Get back on your push bike!

It's called the employer sticking to the law - if they choose not to ( as appears to be the case here ), then they deserve to end up in court. Many employers play on their employees just rolling over ( which looks like you would do ) when in fact those employees actually have rights enshrined in law. Feel free to continue being your employers doormat but some off us will stand up for our rights thank you.

Fair enough, just don't be surprised when it's you that is up for the dunderbird.

Well yes I would agree with you if I was an ignorant troll.

Are you not able to see the difference between, taking legal advice and going to court ?

This country in so many ways is just fine, without moaning twats like you trying to drag everyone down, to your own level of misery.

If you threaten your employer with legal action over a day off you've set your stall out as being a trouble making prick. You're not going to last very long at said company (except for maybe in the public sector where it seems to be actively encouraged). You certainly wouldn't if you worked for me.

In fact 3 members of my staff haven't used their full holiday entitlement this year. All 3 of those people are the ones who are going to get ahead in life. 2 of them have been promoted in the last 18 months and had significant pay increases, the other is up for a new role in February which at the moment its looking likely he'll get.

Companies are perfectly within their right to refuse someone's leave request.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Read it, wasn't quoting that. Was quoting the chap who suggested getting legal advice over a day off!!! Get back on your push bike!

Fair enough, just don't be surprised when it's you that is up for the dunderbird.

If you threaten your employer with legal action over a day off you've set your stall out as being a trouble making prick. You're not going to last very long at said company (except for maybe in the public sector where it seems to be actively encouraged). You certainly wouldn't if you worked for me.

In fact 3 members of my staff haven't used their full holiday entitlement this year. All 3 of those people are the ones who are going to get ahead in life. 2 of them have been promoted in the last 18 months and had significant pay increases, the other is up for a new role in February which at the moment its looking likely he'll get.

Companies are perfectly within their right to refuse someone's leave request.

If I were your staff I'd be worried that my manager couldn't actually read what was typed !

The OPs son and colleagues appear to be being prevented from booking holiday not just a day off. Now obviously employees holiday can't all be taken at the same time but if what the OP is suggesting is the reality then the company is preventing the employees using their full allowance completely.

The company legally has to provide it's employees with the reasonable opportunity to use their legally assigned leave. If it doesn't ( i.e. always coming up with petty reasons to reject requests ) then it's breaking the law. If it can't for operational reasons then the managers need sacking for understaffing the business.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Whoosh! Still a Twat.
If you are Management, that's the reason I spent a good chunk of my working life self employed.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
If I were your staff I'd be worried that my manager couldn't actually read what was typed !

The OPs son and colleagues appear to be being prevented from booking holiday not just a day off. Now obviously employees holiday can't all be taken at the same time but if what the OP is suggesting is the reality then the company is preventing the employees using their full allowance completely.

The company legally has to provide it's employees with the reasonable opportunity to use their legally assigned leave. If it doesn't ( i.e. always coming up with petty reasons to reject requests ) then it's breaking the law. If it can't for operational reasons then the managers need sacking for understaffing the business.

I can read perfectly well thank you. And as for missing points well it seems quite a few of you have with mine.

Get your head down, work hard and you'll get ahead in life.

Threaten your employers with legal action of the most minor of things and you'll always be one of the bottom feeders moaning about the man keeping you down.

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke
Thanks all for your replies guys,

I haven`t got time to reply to all of them but i must admit i quite enjoyed all the tyre jokes:thumbsup:

Has well of course the more serious posts.

Just to cap it, all holiday requests are tuned down with no alternitive dates given, In the past, employee`s that have not been able to take their holiday have simply lost it with no payment for these lost days (which is ilegal anyway except if you are owed days when you leave a company).

He has now taken proper legal advise through my union office to put a collective grievence in to his employer after firstly talking to his boss to see if they can work things out.

But for sure by not granting these resonable holiday requests they are not only in breach of thier (our) employment law but also they will be breaking health and safety policies.

Thanks again guys.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I can read perfectly well thank you. And as for missing points well it seems quite a few of you have with mine.

Threaten your employers with legal action of the most minor of things and you'll always be one of the bottom feeders moaning about the man keeping you down.

Subtlety isn't your strong point is it ?There is a world of difference between taking advice and threatening legal action.

I think you will find that good employees will vote with their feet, if they find that they are working for a Grade A twat of a boss and the company does not want to address this.
There are two ways to get ahead in life, either work for yourself or work for a company that values your input.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Hmmm .... I work hard and keep my head down when required and have built a successful career BUT when one of my employers didn't follow the procedures for redundancy I threatened them with legal action. In return we finally agreed a settlement that suited both of us. After my lawyer pointed out their mistakes they backed down immediately. After being elsewhere for a few years I'm now working for them again - the reason ? - because they were professional enough to understand is was business.

What you might see as a minor issue the employee might see as an important issue. Only a crap manager would suggest "keep your head down, work hard and shut up" when a line report raises an issue ( however minor you might think it is ).

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Most of us don't consider not being allowed to take our annual leave entitlement as the "most minor of things". Please let me know the name of your company, so that I make sure I never end up working for you. You protest that you've read the OP, but seem totally unable to understand the issue.

A few years ago, I was docked 3 days pay for the time I took off after an operation. After I'd pointed out the failings of the company to my boss, he backed down and paid me my money. I'd like to think that he learnt from the experience, but unfortunately, he'd ignored employment laws with others throughout the time I was employed there and the others took your advice of keeping their heads down and working hard and just accepting that he could make up the rules as he went along. I now have a better job. None of those who were walked over have progressed their careers.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Tell him to get a GRIP. I know lack of holidays can leave you DEFLATED.. Dont JACK it all in just yet..

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Thank you for cheering me up. I was naive enough to think that being a brown nose to the boss was a bit Victorian. I notice you haven't advertised your company....surely a marketing mis-hap from such a people based organisation.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah good idea, take your employer to court over a poxy day off. No wonder this country is f***ed when everyone is trying to get out of doing a hard days work.

dont be a plum, this is about the company not following its basic legal obligations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here