Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Emergency Tax question

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Hi all

I have not worked for around 2 and a half years and do not have a p45/p60? my new work is a part time 12 hours a week job that grosses around £85. it will be the only taxable income, other than benefits (Have checked that the gross amount with additional benefits will mean i pay a small amount of tax). I will be paid monthly, do i assume that i will pay emergency tax initially until such time as wages dept obtain a tax code for me, and then will get it all back? Is there anything i can do with regards obtaining a tax code or do i just have to wait on the company to do it all. its been a while since i have had dealings with tax. thanks for any help

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I was in exact same situation couple years ago so first off congrats on breaking the cycle :thumbsup:

I was on emergancy tax and haven't managed to claim it all back yet. Think it's because i'm rubbish at chasing that kind of thing up. I pestered my work to sort a tax code and they got act together after few weeks. Might have been I received my first wage slip though and then phoned tax helpline in actual fact!

Sorry to highjack thread but if anyone who replies to OP knows how go about claiming back for previous short term 'holiday job' type emergancy tax outstanding can they reply with that info too. I had some summer jobs and was in a bad place at the time so never chased up claiming the tax back.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Hi all

I have not worked for around 2 and a half years and do not have a p45/p60? my new work is a part time 12 hours a week job that grosses around £85. it will be the only taxable income, other than benefits (Have checked that the gross amount with additional benefits will mean i pay a small amount of tax). I will be paid monthly, do i assume that i will pay emergency tax initially until such time as wages dept obtain a tax code for me, and then will get it all back? Is there anything i can do with regards obtaining a tax code or do i just have to wait on the company to do it all. its been a while since i have had dealings with tax. thanks for any help

An emergency tax code will come with a Personal Allowance, £8,105 for the tax 2012-13, the amount you are earning is way below that so no tax to pay

HM Revenue Customs: Emergency tax codes

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
I was in exact same situation couple years ago so first off congrats on breaking the cycle :thumbsup:

I was on emergancy tax and haven't managed to claim it all back yet. Think it's because i'm rubbish at chasing that kind of thing up. I pestered my work to sort a tax code and they got act together after few weeks. Might have been I received my first wage slip though and then phoned tax helpline in actual fact!

Sorry to highjack thread but if anyone who replies to OP knows how go about claiming back for previous short term 'holiday job' type emergancy tax outstanding can they reply with that info too. I had some summer jobs and was in a bad place at the time so never chased up claiming the tax back.

see here

HM Revenue Customs: Reclaiming tax if you've overpaid through your job

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
If you do not have a P45 then you must complete a P46 and give it to your employer before your first paid day. If you don't do that, I'm pretty sure your new employer will have to use a BR coding which means that all of your earnings would be taxed at 20% despite the fact that your annual salary is below the £8100 threshold at which income tax is normally paid.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think I'm owed a tax rebate from the last two financial years (definitely from the one that ended March 2012)... When are they 'supposed' to pay up?!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think I'm owed a tax rebate from the last two financial years (definitely from the one that ended March 2012)... When are they 'supposed' to pay up?!

You think ? It's amazing that no one keeps accurate records these days.

Get the facts together and chase them, don't 'think' and wait for them to do it!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

If you are on self assessment you will get it about 2/3 weeks after you submit your return, I always have anyway. Not sure abut other methods

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

You have the option to claim it when you do your tax return.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
If you do not have a P45 then you must complete a P46 and give it to your employer before your first paid day. If you don't do that, I'm pretty sure your new employer will have to use a BR coding which means that all of your earnings would be taxed at 20% despite the fact that your annual salary is below the £8100 threshold at which income tax is normally paid.

do i need to phone tax office to get a P46

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't bother paying any tax. Tell HMRC you can't afford to as you've got to keep up your Sky subscriptions, Albion season ticket, monthly payment to Wines Direct & direct debits to the Garrick Club.

Whine that it's all really unfair when HMRC take you to court, and declare that you're going into administration to sort it all out. While in administration, buy a new Bentley on credit, and build an extension on your house as well as booking a couple of holidays to the Maldives. At no point should you pay any taxes at all, as HMRC are just another pointless creditor to be ignored. Eventually they will give up chasing you and you can get away with paying them in the range of nothing, all the way up to 0.002p in the pound.

For more advice, contact Trevor Birch, c/o Portsmouth Football Club, Fratton Park, Frogmore Road, Portsmouth

Hope this helps.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
ta mate, just been searching for a form, and kept getting dead ends cheers for that

Assuming your benefits are taxable ones you should tick box B, you will be given an 810L Mth 1 tax code initially which will mean you will not pay tax unless you earn more than £675 a month. Make sure you give your employers your P46 asap.The tax office will then issue a new code taking into account your benefits so you may then have to re-pay some tax as your total income could exceed your personal allowance. A new tax code is issued almost immediately nowadays as P46's must be submitted online by employers to HMRC. You will get a copy and its important that you check your code has been applied correctly by your employer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here