Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Emeli Sande

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
She may not be everyone's cup of tea and maybe she was overexposed, I don't know, I didn't watch it, but anyone who thinks she can't sing is frankly an idiot.

Agreed.

does anyone know why she had such a prominent role in the closing ceremony? She's reasonably talented but singing twice live and then closing the show with a cover of imagine. Dont understand it. Is it because she's mixed race and scottish? Ultimate diversity points.

Would you tell her she could only sing once? Looks a right old bruiser:moo:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Sorry mate she's crap, no technique & sings through her nose.

I fully concur. Three minutes at the start was too much and the same again at the end was a total joke. Only saving grace was the lack of any Paul Mcartney or Elton Toilet at the closing ceremony. Apart from that , The Who were good, Fatboy Slim was fun and the rest were banal! Well it just ain't my kind of musac. Good spectacle though.

TNBA

TTTF

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
She may not be everyone's cup of tea and maybe she was overexposed, I don't know, I didn't watch it, but anyone who thinks she can't sing is frankly an idiot.

Complete rubbish. Even if she can sing, she certainly couldn't sing in tune.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Not tonight.....it was nothing to do with agents etc....tonight was a one off. Emilie Sande represents the music NOW... The agents wouldnt have had anything to do with tonight !

If that's the case then why was George Michael there singing his new single? No one would have asked him to play that. I doubt he would have been able to just tell the organisers what songs he was going to do. Just seems like it's all bargaining and negotiation.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Am I the only one who thought "Imagine" was the weirdest choice of song to end it all? "Imagine there's no countries ..."? Not much of an Olympics in that case. I get the feeling that very few people have ever listened to the words. I've heard it played at weddings in churches, which is frankly bizarre ...

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Am I the only one who thought "Imagine" was the weirdest choice of song to end it all? "Imagine there's no countries ..."? Not much of an Olympics in that case. I get the feeling that very few people have ever listened to the words. I've heard it played at weddings in churches, which is frankly bizarre ...

This

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Aimed at the American tv market - for them Lennon, and that song in particular, epitomise Britain.
Given that anything east of Cape Cod might as well not exist for the avaerage American it was good marketing

Anyway, Emile Sande is a class act!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Complete rubbish. Even if she can sing, she certainly couldn't sing in tune.
To be fair that could be aimed at a few people last night - George Michael and Annie Lennox were shocking for example.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

The end bit is BBC's closing credits anyway, every other country would have their own.

Imagine much earlier in the evening does have other words as well though other than that one line.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not my cup of tea but Taio Cruz held a tune quite well I thought, put the other two no marks he was singing with to shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here