Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Embarrassment of riches: How on earth are we going to line up in midfield next season?

Gross is like a new player the last few months and seems reinvigorated. Hes also been in top3 for MOM on several occassions so will probably be expecting to start regularly again or would be off. I think also TB might want to try and recover a small fee for him - maybe he could go back to Germany.

The Gross / MacAlister partnership was being reviewed last night on MOTD2 and they seemed impressed how the two of them are working. We've never really done well with a "number 10" but at the moment they both seem uo to play that virtual position.

Cant see Lllana hanging around. Thought he only had a 1year contract??

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
The Gross / MacAlister partnership was being reviewed last night on MOTD2 and they seemed impressed how the two of them are working. We've never really done well with a "number 10" but at the moment they both seem uo to play that virtual position.

3 years... Currently a great addition to the squad for experience, next season I can see game time limited to warming the bench, after that, who knows? Coaching?

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
If two potential first-team players in every position is the aim, and 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1 is the preferred formation, then we're overloaded in midfield and understaffed in defence. Lamptey is a wing back rather than an orthodox right back, and we have only Burn as a naturally left-sided centre back. Some rebalancing of the squad over summer might not be a bad idea. I suppose selling Bissouma and Propper would finance that, assuming anyone would pay money for Davy P. Unless the plan is to promote Haydon Roberts or Dendoncker?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If two potential first-team players in every position is the aim, and 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1 is the preferred formation, then we're overloaded in midfield and understaffed in defence. Lamptey is a wing back rather than an orthodox right back, and we have only Burn as a naturally left-sided centre back. Some rebalancing of the squad over summer might not be a bad idea. I suppose selling Bissouma and Propper would finance that, assuming anyone would pay money for Davy P. Unless the plan is to promote Haydon Roberts or Dendoncker?

And Ostigard and Clarke are out on loan. Clarke is a lefty.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Just looking at the exciting squad we’re building here. It’s hard to fathom how all this talent will get a chance.

Last night, I thought the combination of Biss, Gross and Mac was awe inspiring, hard to top. But let’s take stock of our midfield options now.

Gross,
Bissouma,
Mac Allister,
Trossard,
Moder,
White,
Moises,
Proper,
Molumby,
Lallana.

I think it’s safe to say it looks pretty tough for Proper to stay. But you never know, I’m really impressed at how GP creates new roles for players. Eg, Solly, Gross.

But who else? Even though I rate him. Looks tough for Molumby. So long term, maybe something like (including wing backs to see full width of pitch):

Sanchez
Webster - Dunk - White
Lamptey - Biss / Moder - Gross - Moises - Solly / Jakob
Mac Allister / Tau
Maupay / Connolly / New Striker

What do you think our first team midfield is going to be?

loads of people said solly, lb. lwb; especially after the derby injury

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Last season I’d have said sure, Gross will be off.

Not anymore. He has surprised the hell out of me. He has found his niche in this Potter team and then some. Absolutely superb and his link up play with Bissouma and Mac Allister looks electric at times.

Lallana (I believe) was brought not only to play, but to be eased into coaching and to help develop and guide some of our young talent. To be fair, for the best, as the guy isn’t going to be on the field much if this season anything to go by. I say that sadly, as he has looked really good when he’s played.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ince
Forster-Caskey
Holla/Andrews
Conway

:dunce:

#comealongway

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Last season I’d have said sure, Gross will be off.

Not anymore. He has surprised the hell out of me. He has found his niche in this Potter team and then some. Absolutely superb and his link up play with Bissouma and Mac Allister looks electric at times.

Lallana (I believe) was brought not only to play, but to be eased into coaching and to help develop and guide some of our young talent. To be fair, for the best, as the guy isn’t going to be on the field much if this season anything to go by. I say that sadly, as he has looked really good when he’s played.

It's quite a lot in wages to pay someone who one day might potentially be a coach for you (or might get a better offer elsewhere)

Im going to come out (it feels like coming out anyway) and say I think Lallana was a bad signing. Very high wages, long term deal with no sell on potential, has been injured as often as not, also has been injured within minutes of coming on which means you can't rely in him, hasn't yet contributed assists or goals and when does play will take the time from Moder, Caicedo etc who clearly are our future.

It's also the departure from our strategy (as was Wellbeck to a degree) which suggests different factions within the club with different ideas on how to progress.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised to see Biss moving on in the summer for around 45m (plus several chunky financial clauses including a sell-on). Meaning Mac will get the chance to further establish himself, and Caicedo getting eased into the 1st team squad.

Happy days, if we stay up.

I think the same, but think it will happen a season later and Biss will go for more.
This is based on my belief that our current squad are good enough to push for top 10 next season.
I think Tony will want to see that and he's in no mood to rush.

Even if this kid is as good as everyone says he is, I think it will take a season to get used to English football and acclimatise.
All going well, I can see him being ready to replace Biss in 22/23.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's quite a lot in wages to pay someone who one day might potentially be a coach for you (or might get a better offer elsewhere)

Im going to come out (it feels like coming out anyway) and say I think Lallana was a bad signing. Very high wages, long term deal with no sell on potential, has been injured as often as not, also has been injured within minutes of coming on which means you can't rely in him, hasn't yet contributed assists or goals and when does play will take the time from Moder, Caicedo etc who clearly are our future.

It's also the departure from our strategy (as was Wellbeck to a degree) which suggests different factions within the club with different ideas on how to progress.

I think much of this was a known risk.
He had hardly played in the last 12 months and may not have been expected to play much in the first half of the season.

I was in two minds when we signed him ( it felt like a bit of a Palace move, to me).
But it was very reassuring to have him come on against spurs to see out the game.

As you allude to, I don't think he's going to win us too many matches, but his experience will come in handy.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But it was very reassuring to have him come on against spurs to see out the game.

As you allude to, I don't think he's going to win us too many matches, but his experience will come in handy.

Absolutely ideal player to bring on in that scenario.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He did well ... but i'd rather see Alzate being trusted in these big situations.

He won't improve watching Lallana do it

I would say the opposite is correct. We need Lallana's experience for game management to see out games, and Alzate would have been a massive risk (he was poor when he played recently).

He can learn a LOT watching Lallana, either in games or in training.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I recall the Alzate/Bissouma combo in midfield early on this season and people were saying "that's the pairing for years to come". And now, a few months later, Alzate is a bench warmer and people saying that reinvented "quarter back" Gross is the man.

What we almost certainly know is that we certainly don't know what the combo will be this time next year. I do trust GP to find the right combination however and look at this list of midfielders and think we really are blessed with talent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here