Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Embarrassed to be British

Which recent event made you more embarrassed to be British

• Total voters

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Agree with you WFP.... what is this thing about calling ourselves british ... the scots are scottish the Wales call themselves welsh .... NI are Irish and for some inane reason we are british .... well i'm from England so i am ENGLISH

I think you'd find that there's still a slight majority of the Northern Irish who'd claim in no uncertain terms they're British before anything else.
There's definitely been a strengthening of English nationalism over the last couple of decades; largely in response to the growth of Scottish nationalism over the last thirty years. It saddens me as I believe we're all better off for being part of the United Kingdom of GB and NI, but as I wrote in an earlier post, I'm afraid I'm in a rapidly diminishing minority. As far as I'm concerned I'm as much in my own country in Brechin as in Brighton, in Glasgow as in Grimsby, but there are a lot of Scots who'd disagree. Actually I've been to Brechin and Glasgow but I've been to neither Brighton nor Grimsby.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Since the war there has been no danger to freedom and democracy in GB from the right. It has been some of those on the left who've consistently threatened all that's best in this country for the last sixty-five years. This thread (and indeed this messageboard) is a perfect example of where the bigotry and sheer ignorant nastiness comes from, and it isn't from Conservative voters.
I believe that most people vote Conservative for the good of the country, while most people vote Labour for the good of themselves. Somehow I don't imagine you'd agree with me.

Er .... nope.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
The fact the sun is best selling paper, disgusting

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here