Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

email from the Halifax

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
IMO that Halifax is one of the most convincing one I have seen.

I have just compared the link above with the valid link and they are exactly the same !!

No difference in the two at all, even the address is EXACTLY the same.

Gotta agree with you looks good which is why so many idiots here have clicked on it

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Remember that a secure site will always have an https address not an http one!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
i assume you replaced the link or whoever was hosting the site has been taken down and dns records now point to the real halifax site?

could have copy/pasted from a HTML email in to the text-only editor here meaning the text and not the target of the link got copied?

These cons are never hosted on *.uk domains, its usually some random Carribean location or similar. Or free hosting, as I've seen a lot...

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I think Edna is being rather dismissive of this email, and if this is an example of how she conducts her finances, then I fear she will come a cropper sooner rather than later. I find it disturbing that people simply ignore these warnings. They're only trying to help.

Click the link and sort it out Edna. It'll only take 5 minutes, and you'll have the peace of mind that your online banking experience will remain intact.

Your best for a while Mr 10. I had worried that you were joining the grumpy old man brigade, but you're still on top form.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've just received the following email from the Halifax:

Dear Halifax Customer:

It has come to our attention that your account billing updates are out of order. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your billing records you will not run into any future problems with the online service. However, failure to update your records will result in account termination. Please update your records now.

If you are Halifax Internet Banking Customer, you must click the link below and complete all steps from the following page as we are trying to verify your identity.

http://www.halifax-online.co.uk/_mem_bin/halifax_LogIn/formslogin.aspsource.halifaxcouk/index.htm
If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporarily suspend your account.

Regards
Accounting Desk

The funny thing about this is that I've never, ever held any Halifax accounts or other products (call it the Howard effect).

Do you think I should supply them with all my financial details immediately? Including PIN numbers and security codes? I'd hate to miss out on them giving me EXTRA
:jester:

No wonder Wookie finds that link convincing. IT IS THE OFFICIAL SITE!!!

If you don't believe me, google for "Halifax Cards", click on the top link and press "sign in". You'll find the URL matches that one.

Basically that aint a PHISHING email. :lolol:

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Yes, Yes It Is. I Can Explain How. Edna Copied And Pasted The Email But In Doing So, It Hasn't Copied The Underlying Code. The Link In The Email Would Look Like It Was The Official One But That Is Just A Name For The Link. The True Site Is Hidden.

A Bit Like This:

www.TheBestSiteOnTheWeb.Com

Click On The Link. See How Misleading It Is?

Never Ever Ever Respond To Those Emails.

Ever.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Erm, yes Bars I realise that.

However, when I click on that link I get sent to the correct URL - the same URL as the official site!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just realise what's happened. :D

Edna has of course pasted the *text* from her phishing email. However, when NSC sees an address it thinks is an http link, it converts the text to the link.

So when Wookie and myself click on Edna's link, we are actually sent to the correct site! See for yourself, Grendel!

Wookie, I suspect the actual site of the underlying http address on the phishing email was as SHITHOUSE as usual. :D

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Erm, yes Bars I realise that.

However, when I click on that link I get sent to the correct URL - the same URL as the official site!

f***'s Sake, I'm Losing My Legendary Patience Here. It's Quite Clear. Edna Copied And Pasted The Email Onto NSC And In Doing The Name Of The Link Is The Only Thing That Was Copied. Not The Code Underneath. The NSC Board Converted The Name Of The Link To A Link Itself, Hence You Go To The Real Site.

No Doubt If Edna Right Hand Clicks On The Original Link And Looks At The Properties Then It Will Show The Phishing Site.

Very Simple But Very Effective.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
f***'s Sake, I'm Losing My Legendary Patience Here. It's Quite Clear. Edna Copied And Pasted The Email Onto NSC And In Doing The Name Of The Link Is The Only Thing That Was Copied. Not The Code Underneath. The NSC Board Converted The Name Of The Link To A Link Itself, Hence You Go To The Real Site.

No Doubt If Edna Right Hand Clicks On The Original Link And Looks At The Properties Then It Will Show The Phishing Site.

Very Simple But Very Effective.
As I just said. :jester:

I see Nathan Elder scored on Saturday for Brentford, Bars. So who would you rather have - Murray or Elder?

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Yes, Yes It Is. I Can Explain How. Edna Copied And Pasted The Email But In Doing So, It Hasn't Copied The Underlying Code. The Link In The Email Would Look Like It Was The Official One But That Is Just A Name For The Link. The True Site Is Hidden.

Just realise what's happened. :D

Edna has of course pasted the *text* from her phishing email. However, when NSC sees an address it thinks is an http link, it converts the text to the link.
So when Wookie and myself click on Edna's link, we are actually sent to the correct site! See for yourself, Grendel!

Yep. You "Realised" All By Yourself. I'm f***ing Fuming At You Taking The Glory For This. It Was My Spot. I'm The Sodding Genius. Not You.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep. You "Realised" All By Yourself. I'm f***ing Fuming At You Taking The Glory For This. It Was My Spot. I'm The Sodding Genius. Not You.
I'm afraid not - the proof is there for all to see, I beat you to it.

To be fair, you beat me to the spot that Jake Robinson would make an excellent left back in a 3 man defence, so I learnt a long time ago that you can't win them all. :jester:

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
As I just said. :jester:

I see Nathan Elder scored on Saturday for Brentford, Bars. So who would you rather have - Murray or Elder?

Both. Forster Obviously Works Well With Wilkins So Push The Old Man Into The Role Of 1st Team Coach And Out Of The Squad. He's Too Old. Adios, Dean White And We'd Have A Squad Ready For THe Championship.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
I'm afraid not - the proof is there for all to see, I beat you to it.

To be fair, you beat me to the spot that Jake Robinson would make an excellent left back in a 3 man defence, so I learnt a long time ago that you can't win them all. :jester:

Eh? Post 29 Was When I First Put This Up. You Got In At Post 33. Well, f*** You You f***ing Cocknosher. In The Real World 29 Comes Before 33. Don't You f***ing Start Trying To Pick A f***ing Fight With Me. I f***ing Won. Not You.

In Your f***ing Face You f***ing Wanker.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Eh? Post 29 Was When I First Put This Up. You Got In At Post 33. Well, f*** You You f***ing Cocknosher. In The Real World 29 Comes Before 33. Don't You f***ing Start Trying To Pick A f***ing Fight With Me. I f***ing Won. Not You.

In Your f***ing Face You f***ing Wanker.
You cheating TWUNT. You've f***ing EDITED you Elder-cockmunching gimp. :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here