Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elvis v Michael Jackson. Who was THE King?

Who was the KING of kings

• Elvis

Votes: 66 66.7%
  • Michael Jackson

Votes: 33 33.3%

• Total voters

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Elvis.

The only good Jacko songs were his Motown ones.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Then go look at another thread then. No point starting a binfest about the legendary statuses of THE 2 most iconic musicians in the history of pop music. Simple really.

No. Prefer to stay and argue the point. Why do we have to acknowledge the one or other of these hackneyed acts is 'the most iconic'. Let alone 'The King'? Why not, say, Jim Morrison? Kurt Cobain? Jimi Hendrix? Sorry Buzzer, but your poll is fatally flawed without a 'Neither' option. IMHO, like. Tho having said me piece, am happy to :flounce:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No. Prefer to stay and argue the point. Why do we have to acknowledge the one or other of these hackneyed acts is 'the most iconic'. Let alone 'The King'? Why not, say, Jim Morrison? Kurt Cobain? Jimi Hendrix? Sorry Buzzer, but your poll is fatally flawed without a 'Neither' option. IMHO, like. Tho having said me piece, am happy to :flounce:

Right, I will flounce for two weeks after tonight

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No. Prefer to stay and argue the point. Why do we have to acknowledge the one or other of these hackneyed acts is 'The King'? Why not, say, Jim Morrison? Kurt Cobain? Jimi Hendrix? Sorry Buzzer, but your poll is fatally flawed without a 'Neither' option. IMHO, like. Tho having said me piece, am happy to :flounce:

Are you seriously wanting to argue about who was the most iconoclastic, the most revered, the most listened to, the most bought, the most played, who deserves the title king of popular music between Cobain and Jackson or Presley?

Pffft. Yeah. Right.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Then I will flounce for THREE weeks after tonight - tho I reserve the right to unflounce occasionally, just to wind up bushy

You bastard, have you got a three week holiday then :laugh::jester:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Are you seriously wanting to argue about who was the most iconoclastic, the most revered, the most listened to, the most bought, the most played, who deserves the title king of popular music between Cobain and Jackson or Presley?

Pffft. Yeah. Right.

No, I'd just like a 'Neither' option in there. Else we are implicitly agreeing with your personal two choices of King Of Pop. Still, suppose it's your thread, your rules, no matter how flawed the basic premise is.

*SIGH* Sunday night's too short.. :shrug:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No, I'd just like a 'Neither' option in there. Else we are implicitly agreeing with your personal two choices of King Of Pop. Still, suppose it's your thread, your rules, no matter how flawed the basic premise is.

Yeah. My poll, my rules. I mde it clear in my original post that I was brooking no fence sitting. It's not particularly outrageous to suggest those 2 would be in positions 1 and 2 for the title of kings of pop. In fact BOTH have been called it.

Sorry but I find all this talk of them being mundane, the worst kind of muso snobbery and pretensions. Especially if you then offer up as an alternative, Kurt Cobain or Jim Morrison.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

They are the only artists to be referred to as being 'kings', aren't they? So the poll would make sense.

Bhafcman

1958-Forever
Apr 19, 2009
and to even things out, who exactly was Rod Temperton then?

ahhh you got me but to be fair mike wrote 4 of the 7 songs in the best selling album ever along with co producing and he went on to write 9 of the 11 on bad and had superior dancing skills soo he has to be the KING for me

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Elvis Costello Jackson

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
If, IF, If i was going to choose a 'pop king' out of these two. I would just need to look at the advert at the top of the page and it proves who is the bigger name.

But I wont choose cos there both overhyped. IMO.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
ahhh you got me but to be fair mike wrote 4 of the 7 songs in the best selling album ever along with co producing and he went on to write 9 of the 11 on bad and had superior dancing skills soo he has to be the KING for me

Fair do's. More the kind of debate I was hoping for. :thumbsup:

Elvis - There was nothing like him beforehand and, althought I acknowledge that he didn't write his own stuff he succeeded in bringing together Black and White music influences to change music forever. MJ, whilst I acknowledge that he was was a great performer, if he hadn't existed I don't imagine music being all that different.

Bhafcman

1958-Forever
Apr 19, 2009
Elvis - There was nothing like him beforehand and, althought I acknowledge that he didn't write his own stuff he succeeded in bringing together Black and White music influences to change music forever. MJ, whilst I acknowledge that he was was a great performer, if he hadn't existed I don't imagine music being all that different.

that's a fair post but we might not see black people on mtv and the ushers chris browns of today if not for mj?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here