Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elphick

Crezhell

Aug 11, 2008
That's not the point you disagreed with though, look at what you originally quoted:dunce:

When I say "donkey" I don't necessarily mean that to read as he's totally useless. It's just his skills are the ugly ones. He's strong, and he doesn't lose many challenges. But, on the ball he's park level, and he's also quite slow. Hence I said if you play him with Lynch he gets away with it, and his strengths complement Lynch well. If either of them make a mistake, Joel is quick enough to get back and correct it. But, play him with a slow partner and he's really exposed for what he is. Him and Hawkins, I guarantee, will be a nightmare together.

From what i can make out you seem to be suggesting elphick has similar skills to that of Guy Butters. And thus those of a great footballer/man. :)

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
Oh right, so donkey wasn't a negative comment. Okay i get it now.

Seriously your last post is starting to make sense though. However, my opinion is that Elphick is out best defender by a long way. I would agree he should be partnered with Lynch.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Butters' biggest strength was his positioning. It didn't matter that he couldn't run because he was, without fail, in the right place. Elphick is not - as you would expect any young player not to be. That will come with experience, and I fully expect Elphick to turn into a good player of the Guy Butters type. But for now, he hasn't got the pace to get him out of mistakes that a player his age will inevitably make, so if you play him you HAVE to play someone quick alongside him. Hawkins is not that man.

Well donkey was negative, but not in the way most people would read it. Sorry, it was a poor choice of word. I should have said something like "hoofer." I was trying to say that he has weaknesses and that these are badly exposed when he plays with Hawkins. I wasn't trying to claim he's a nightmare, because I'm well aware he has things he's VERY good at.

I'd disagree that he's our best defender though. I see Lynch as our most complete package at the back. I think he HAS to play, for two reasons - he's the only one with pace, and he's the only one who can pass. I'd then choose between Elphick and Hawkins as to who partners him. I think both of them can do a good job next to Lynch, as they're both physical, strong in the air, and competitive - which you definitely need in this division.

I would fully agree with that. Elphick is good at getting in where it hurts, head or foot to the ball but his distribution is appalling. In the second half yesteryear the ball came to him with no opposition player any where near him and he hoofed it into touch! Pointless waste of possession. Lynch at least tries to play the ball out when he can. I would play Lynch alongside a fit Hawkins.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I think Lynch is a bit like Rio Ferdinand in that he doesn't just hoof the ball up in the air but he tries to be constructive with it including bringing the ball out of defence himself. I remember Ferdinand getting criticised for losing the ball and trying to be too flash but with experience he dosen't do this so often now and is probably the best and most complete defender in English football at the moment.

Lynch needs a good long run in the team to gain the experience he needs, but yes he will give the ball away sometimes and yes some of those mistakes will lead to goals against. But his runs and passes may just mean that we score one or two at the other end as well. But if he becomes the finished article he will be a massive asset to the club.

Alternatively just keep on letting Elphick and Hawkins boot it up in the air.

thealbionfan

Oct 6, 2003
What exactly does he do, that has made him liked by so many fans?

I'll say it again - he models the strip well enough, but as for making tackes, stops, bringing the ball out of defence, even getting in the way of opposing attackers..... he's frickin' awol!

I saw him make about 4 one-touch hoofs, before anyone could challenge him, but that was about all he did.

He's just making up the numbers as far as I can tell.

Nope...hang on...today's 5th April...oh I thought this was an April fool...what a load of bollocks...do you go to many games?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Fair enough. I take it that the recent defensive record of 1 goal conceded in 6 games was only down to Calderon. It cannot possibly have been anything to do with Brezovan (a keeper who is not Kuipers), Elphick (crap) and El Abd (also crap apparently).

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Is it bounce your old thread day? ???

Feb 14, 2010
Elphick is slow and no great on the ball. Only in England / Scotland with our hit and hoof coaches would we put time and effort into making him a pro footballer. Having said that he is no worse than most defenders in the 3rd division.. and that says it all

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Sorry did I imagine things when the best Striker in the league failed to score against us last Thursday down in no small part to Elphick

Nope...hang on...today's 5th April...oh I thought this was an April fool...what a load of bollocks...do you go to many games?

I missed 2 home matches this season, and this was my first away match.
I have seen him play well, and deserve the champagne - but have tired of his bumbling lack of authority over the ball. The magnitude of his screw-ups have also worn too heavily, and I do know what good defending looks like.
He's on a par with that donkey that scored with a flying header in our goal, when got sent off 2 minutes into his next game. His name thankfully seems to escape me, but another Conference quality defender.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here