Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elphick, Whing and Richards (and Rents)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What coaching do Wilkins, White and Chapman give them to make them so nervous that when in possession they just boot the ball as far as they can? Understand this has been Butters' game for years but these are young players who are learning their craft.

Someone commented tonight that we missed El Abd's composure!!!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
Richards was much better in the second half, passing the ball on the floor more. Nearly turned into a catastrophe with a ridiculous crossfield ball to Whing, but moves were started because of him.

Elphick ALWAYS hoofs it, maybe Wilkins should get the midfield to start deeper because players like Thomson, know how to start attacks with short, simple balls.

Skidmarks

Feb 12, 2008
Woolworths
Can't someone please tell both wing-backs that fans don't care how far or high you can kick a ball its where it ends up. The two full-backs today in my opinion were are two worst players who constantly gave the ball away by passing it high and far to the opposition defence so that Brighton fans could get more and more frustrated. They need to calm down and maybe take a lesson in watching a team like Arsenal or even Swansea to see how effective passing a ball to your own player can be!!
If i see the hoof nxt saturday from either of them i might have to shoot them their and then just to save myself from dying of anger and frustration

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
I think the fans have to remember sometimes you can't pass it to feet everytime and have to clear it but then Whing and Elphick to hoof it far too often. With experience though hopefully they will improve, like Butters has as he isn't just a long ball player.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Has anyone thought that it may be a result of the way their efforts have been viewed by their so called fans, the not stop criticism that players, manager and coaching staff, board and chairman all recieve on here and other sites / radio phone-ins etc, that this actually effects their confidence, and that some of the clubs players are still just starting out as professional footballers, and will make some mistakes or try moves that don't work, yet there isn't any understanding or encouragement from the supporters, but instead a mood of doom and gloom.
Nerves from the crowd transmit to the players making them nervous.

So make some noise in support of the team and cheer them onto success, they deserve it, there isn't a reason why an atmosphere cant be created at Withdean, there has been an atmosphere there in the past, it just seems that people can no longer be bothered, so why should the players be that bothered either, (therefore deciding to leave like Bas or Hammond)

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
the defence was the worst they have ever been.
they always seemed to hit 4 or 5 passes across the back line, always nearly getting charged down, then the ball would get hoofed up front, normally straight to the central defender or the ball will run out for a throw in

going forward the team looked ok, putting in some great passes and through balls and creating 4 or 5 great chances - just couldnt finish them

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I don't think it's the coaching, the players have to take some responsbility, it's their jobs to put into practice what is done on the training ground, and recently perhaps they haven't been doing that as much as they should, although certainly a lack of confidence is the biggest cause of that.

Doesn't help as well when you've got your own fans booing you.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Can I just say that if El Abd had tried half of the "fancy f*** ups" that Joel made he would be LYNCHED.

I never thought I would say this but El Abd has gone up in my estimation.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What match did half of you go to Thomson spent the entire game chasing the ball and trying to get the front men moving but he was bypassed by Elphick with every kick being at least 50 yds long and Whing having probably his worst ever game, he was attrocious. Richards was much better in winning the ball but slightly better in his passing. It is most obviopus that they are playing the long ball under instructions as it is too much of a coincidence that they are all trying it from the back.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What match did half of you go to Thomson spent the entire game chasing the ball and trying to get the front men moving but he was bypassed by Elphick with every kick being at least 50 yds long and Whing having probably his worst ever game, he was attrocious. Richards was much better in winning the ball but slightly better in his passing. It is most obviopus that they are playing the long ball under instructions as it is too much of a coincidence that they are all trying it from the back.

I agree. It surprises me that Wilkins talks of keeping possession, good technique, pass and move, etc, etc and all the other football cliches ...then sends out a team with a keeper who kicks long and high, a defence that hoofs it, a midfield that works hard but can't string more than two passes together, and an attack that has to flick it on and chase everything - and no width! Revell was the ideal player for these tactics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here