Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Elon Musk and Twitter

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Elon lost his poll and is now saying that in future polls voters will have to have to have the blue tick verification.

So he bangs on about being a free speech absolutist, claims that Russia's claim on the Donbas should be decided by a twitter poll, and now that he's lost the vote on whether he should step down from being in charge of twitter, he decides to move the goal posts. Is anyone really surprised?
According to this article https://www.theguardian.com/technol...llion-twitter-users-vote-for-him-to-step-down there is reason to believe that the polls have all been meaningless - he'd already made the decision.

However, in many cases, he has given the impression of already having decided on the outcome before posting: he had already announced a sale of his Tesla holdings, for instance, long before he put it to a vote, and his plan to reinstate Trump had been discussed since before he even bought Twitter.​
The idea of stepping down as chief executive had also been hinted at long before the Twitter poll was published. On 16 November, he told a Delaware judge that he planned to reduce his time at Twitter and “find somebody else to run Twitter over time”.​

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Elon lost his poll and is now saying that in future polls voters will have to have to have the blue tick verification.

So he bangs on about being a free speech absolutist, claims that Russia's claim on the Donbas should be decided by a twitter poll, and now that he's lost the vote on whether he should step down from being in charge of twitter, he decides to move the goal posts. Is anyone really surprised?

It’s surprised me to an extent that he’s quite such a fool. The popular opinion for years was that Tesla was Elon, now I think a lot of people are wondering whether Tesla could have grown faster and with greater efficiency if it had been under more capable and less capricious management.

Everything he does at Twitter is on display, and if I were one of the organisations that had invested heavily in his organisations, I’d have significant concerns. I suspect those who bankroll him have already started having quiet conversations.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It’s surprised me to an extent that he’s quite such a fool. The popular opinion for years was that Tesla was Elon, now I think a lot of people are wondering whether Tesla could have grown faster and with greater efficiency if it had been under more capable and less capricious management.

Everything he does at Twitter is on display, and if I were one of the organisations that had invested heavily in his organisations, I’d have significant concerns. I suspect those who bankroll him have already started having quiet conversations.
To be fair it's surprised me how much of a fool he's been with this. I guess the warning signs have always been there, and but his ego seems to have grown to new heights in recent times.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't follow what he's doing that much, because I've already reached my conclusion, so I missed this:

So he bangs on about being a free speech absolutist, claims that Russia's claim on the Donbas should be decided by a twitter poll
What? He thought that random tw@er users around the world should decide country borders?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’ve never seen such a well-established tech platform that’s been embedded in millions of peoples lives for so long crash and burn at this speed
There's been some similar stuff in the past... AOL, Altavista etc...

Anyway, fantastic isn't it. If Twitter crumbles into nothingness he should get some kind of award for his contributions to mankind. Hopefully he'll buy Facebook, Instagram and so forth next.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
I don't follow what he's doing that much, because I've already reached my conclusion, so I missed this:

What? He thought that random tw@er users around the world should decide country borders?
It was when Russia held the referendums, he was saying that they should hold a poll on twitter. The whole thing was bonkers.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Anyway, fantastic isn't it. If Twitter crumbles into nothingness he should get some kind of award for his contributions to mankind. Hopefully he'll buy Facebook, Instagram and so forth next.
Ha ha I hadn't thought of it that way, but that would be worth an award.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Twitter is a fantastic means for oppressed people all over the world to document the human rights abuses and other nasty stuff perpetrated by dictators around the world. It's arguably the greatest egalitarian communication tool humanity has ever known. Indeed the Arab Spring would never have happened without Twitter.

I'm sure if Musk brings it down the likes of Putin, the Saudis and various other ne'erdowell dictators will be lining up to give him awards. Interesting you'd align yourself with them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Twitter is a fantastic means for oppressed people all over the world to document the human rights abuses and other nasty stuff perpetrated by dictators around the world. It's arguably the greatest egalitarian communication tool humanity has ever known. Indeed the Arab Spring would never have happened without Twitter.

I'm sure if Musk brings it down the likes of Putin, the Saudis and various other ne'erdowell dictators will be lining up to give him awards. Interesting you'd align yourself with them.
Dictators were disposed of before Twitter and will continue to be so if or when Twitter is gone as well. I think the Arab Spring shows the weaknesses, if anything.

Around 10% of Libyans had Internet in 2010. Who were these with access? Well, not the poorest. Six years of civil war indicates that certainly not all groups in society were positive to this change... it was driven by the upper class, influenced and funded by you-know-who. These rent-a-protester protests was done on a platform the majority had no access to. Maybe the Libyan upper class got what they were promised if they caused a revolution: Western living standards, big houses etc. Maybe they didn't. Either way, the overall situation in the Arab spring countries is no better than it was before - putting Western friendly governments in power seems to have had limited positive impact, surprisingly...

The Arab Spring was all about the West not appreciating some leaders not being submissive and neo-liberal enough.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
well i love Elon, we need more people like him in my opinion...
More crypto fascist man babies who spend all of every day at work and can't even name a baby properly?

I'd give earth about three weeks......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
There's been some similar stuff in the past... AOL, Altavista etc...

I've just seen @Bozza rub his hands together. I might get an extra Mars Bar with my cut.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

Sorry, but that’s what Twitter may once have been. It is now, for better or for worse, a thin-skinned tech billionaire’s plaything. There are other, better tools available that do the same job. Twitter had a huge advantage as any “brand leader” does, but that is what Musk is spaffing up the wall with arbitrary and contrary unannounced policy changes.

Several of the larger Mastodon instances have had to stop onboarding new users for a couple of days while further capacity is added, and the people that had been on Twitter and worth following, I can find on Mastodon now.

Twitter was neither particularly useful, or particularly healthy, it was designed to maximise engagement and encouraged an “active fretful” frame of mind, while Mastodon by comparison will seem far less addictive but offers largely the same feature set, minus the algorithmic tweaking of what you see or don’t see.

Mastodon is also built on open interoperable standards, and is a clear step away from the “walled garden” approach that Musk has employed with Twitter, banning links to other services.

It is a healthier progression from Twitter. Very rough around the edges for new users, but the great thing is it’s open and decentralised, anyone can build a better app that connects to Mastodon. Anyone can run a Mastodon Server.

Twitter’s demise should be celebrated, it’s encouraged a highly toxic and adversarial approach to coexistence with people who hold opposing views, and as recent events have proven, you can’t allow global communication to be at the whim of a billionaire man-child with very poor impulse control.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was when Russia held the referendums, he was saying that they should hold a poll on twitter. The whole thing was bonkers.
I guess that being successful in business can often require a very different set of skills than we'd expect in someone of average intelligence.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

BREAKING: New Twitter CEO announced

jxuya50a417a1.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here