Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Elon Musk and Twitter

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
See this is where because you don't follow much you don't see the hypocrisy.

When the Supreme court overturned Roe v Wade there were countless tweets saying to go "burn it down" referring to the nation and the supreme court.

Nobody was banned for posting that. For trying to incite violence and criminal activity.

Seems a massive double standard doesn't it?
Were any of them the leader of the free world with millions of followers?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Me apparently, for suggesting lying isn't the same as free speech.
What is free speech exactly and where can it be found? I keep hearing we have free speech, but we're - in most places online and offline - not allowed to make jokes about races, religions, handicaps, sexual orientations, phobias, ages, faces... because someone is always discriminated. Professions next up, I suppose. "Don't be such a nazi-fascist against all those bin-men. You can't come to my party."

And if you spread certain theories, weird or sometimes not so weird, you get often banned or temporarily suspended from most social medias today. It was recently revealed that the US government and CIA meet with the big social media companys like once a month and discuss what should or shouldn't reach any people. Some people find that normal, some don't.

But regardless, it is not really free speech is it? Should call it what it is: regulated speech. Doesn't sound quite as "woop power to people", but the description is more accurate and not necessarily a good or a bad thing.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
And if you spread certain theories, weird or sometimes not so weird, you get often banned or temporarily suspended from most social medias today.
Well that all depends on whether your theories are a load of old bobbins.

Or not.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Were any of them the leader of the free world with millions of followers?

Well the Taliban have millions of followers.

The "free world" is far less influenced by what politicians say than places like Afghanistan are.

900 people were charged at the Capitol Riot.

America has a population of 332 million people.

That would make
0.00027108% of the population of the USA who were silly enough to jump some fences and get arrested.

So I'd reckon the Taliban has far more influence over it's followers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well the Taliban have millions of followers.

The "free world" is far less influenced by what politicians say than places like Afghanistan are.

900 people were charged at the Capitol Riot.

America has a population of 332 million people.

That would make
0.00027108% of the population of the USA who were silly enough to jump some fences and get arrested.

So I'd reckon the Taliban has far more influence over it's followers.
The Taliban were supporting Roe v Wade?

There's hope after all.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I've Blocked And Muted both Donald Trump and what I think is the Taliban account.

It seems a simple solution as neither make my Twitter experience any better.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Had another look at Mastodon today, it seems to have picked up a lot more of the people that I used to follow on Twitter than it had the last time I looked. I was quite sceptical of Mastodon, but certainly I can see entire Twitter communities have come together and begun running their own Mastodon servers, which is an interesting development.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yes, I think mastodon could be quite good if enough decent analysts and commentators move over to use it.

The trick when signing up is not to freak out and give up when asked which mastodon server to pick - just stick a pin in the list at random.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Yes, I think mastodon could be quite good if enough decent analysts use it.

The trick when signing up is not to freak out and give up when asked which mastodon server to pick - just stick a pin in the list at random.
Yup, that threw me at first, I feared I would be joining a local or subject specific message board and would only be able to interact on that board.

Once you’ve got your head around the idea that the server you’re based on is just a jumping off point and you can still see/follow/interact with people across all the servers, then it’s much closer to Twitter. I haven’t tooted yet, but I’m becoming comfortable lurking and slowly adjusting to the app UI.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Mastodon seemed like the initial frontrunner for people to switch to, but there's been a recent surge for Hive Social.

I'm finding the people I follow on twitter all seem to be going to different places. Except James Gunn, who seems to be going everywhere.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Dear oh dear oh dear.

The destruction of Twitter is gathering pace.

The absolute best Twitter account - Kamil Galeev is "on the list", along with Bellingcat, and a couple of other notable, decent accounts.

I can't see myself sticking around on it if the best content providers are booted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here