Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elliott's agent

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Who is he? Seems to me from reading everything about this that Bennett was very happy to stay with us - it's certainly the impression I get from the comments he's made, etc. The advantage of him going to Norwich is marginal - he may have the chance to play in the Premier League next season but more than likely they will be in the Championship with us, so it must all come down to money.

But I do wonder if this is more down to his agent than Bennett himself - after all he will get a very nice slice of the transfer fee. It's in all agents interests for their 'clients' to get transferred, as that is how they make their dosh. I wish they would sod off out of football, personally.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Too simple to go around blaming agents: yes footballers are mostly quite thick but they all know what money is, however many GCSEs they have.

Besides, people other than agents get cuts of transfer fees- look at Ian Holloway yesterday re the Charlie Adam situation. How can that POSSIBLY be in a club's interest??

Bennett's agent is either incompetent - leaving things until it's too late for the Albion to replace Bennett and therefore getting a big thumbs down - or he is playing the long game - ensuring that his player gets a massive pay increase when promotion is confirmed and he reveals that the Player of the Season wants to stay.

I think he is playing the long game.

Besides, people other than agents get cuts of transfer fees- look at Ian Holloway yesterday re the Charlie Adam situation. How can that POSSIBLY be in a club's interest??

Without wanting to go too far O/T, apparently Holloway gets a cut of any profit made on a player, which I can see some sense in. Doesn't Redknapp get a cut of any fee received for a player? And people wonder why he's always buying and selling players...

ElkieB

Jun 24, 2008
Peacehaven
Agent Bobby Bowry, Elphick's as well.

At least asking for transfer removes need for Albion to pay player a percentage.

Bloom stated situation unchanged.

For what worth, IMO. Should be kept to contract until at least end of season and then all parties can re-evaluate.

Albion in Championship and we still feel we want him....he stays
Norwich in Premier and he still wants to go....he goes.

He should stay to help us go up. If he goes at end of season.....Thanks, we will buy Kazenga with the money.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
There was a question on Naylor's Q&A and Naylor said himself that Bennett's agent was a real genuine guy.Yea right.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Seems to me from reading everything about this that Bennett was very happy to stay with us - it's certainly the impression I get from the comments he's made, etc.

What gives you that impression? Bennett hasn't said or done anything other than submit a transfer request.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Elliott said this when he signed his 3-and-a-half-year contract in November:

"It was a very easy decision for me. I have really taken to the club ever since I arrived from Wolves last summer. I feel I have grown up as a person and developed as a player. With the new stadium around the corner and Gus Poyet as manager, the club is going in the right direction and I want to be a big part of that journey.
"Gus is a big factor for me. I will always be grateful to Russell Slade for signing me, but the current gaffer has brought his own style of play. It couldn't be any better: I am settled, my missus is settled, the fans have been brilliant and really welcomed me. All of that has really made me feel a part of something here, so it was a very easy decision.

I smell the work of the AGENT at turning his head...

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;3936327 said:
Elliott said this when he signed his 3-and-a-half-year contract in November:

"It was a very easy decision for me. I have really taken to the club ever since I arrived from Wolves last summer. I feel I have grown up as a person and developed as a player. With the new stadium around the corner and Gus Poyet as manager, the club is going in the right direction and I want to be a big part of that journey.
"Gus is a big factor for me. I will always be grateful to Russell Slade for signing me, but the current gaffer has brought his own style of play. It couldn't be any better: I am settled, my missus is settled, the fans have been brilliant and really welcomed me. All of that has really made me feel a part of something here, so it was a very easy decision.

Or the fact that he's probably going to treble his wages

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
What gives you that impression? Bennett hasn't said or done anything other than submit a transfer request.

"Gus is a big factor for me. I will always be grateful to Russell Slade for signing me, but the current gaffer has brought his own style of play.

"I have really taken to the club ever since I arrived from Wolves last summer. I feel I have grown up as a person and developed as a player."

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If Benno stays until the end of the season and Norwich gain promotion and still want him , it will cost them at least £5M when we are in the Championship.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;3936327 said:

If someone offered you three times the salary at a bigger and more successful company, you wouldn't need to check with your solicitor before deciding it's a good idea would you? FFS, I know agents aren't everyone's favourite people but it's ridiculous to think that Bennett wouldn't have given Norwich a second thought without some sharp-suited shyster nudging him in that direction.

He's, what, 21 years old (?) and hearing (despite never having been given permission to speak to Norwich, oddly enough) that they're going to offer him whatever daft sum of money Championship players get these days...what young bloke would think any different?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Gus is a big factor for me. I will always be grateful to Russell Slade for signing me, but the current gaffer has brought his own style of play.

"I have really taken to the club ever since I arrived from Wolves last summer. I feel I have grown up as a person and developed as a player."

But that was before anyone whispered in his ear about what he could make as a Championship player. It's easy to say you're settled when nobody has noticed how good you are.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Given that he does seem to be relatively happy here and, as was posted on another thread, he had been 'agonizing' over the decision, despite the fact that the request has been turned down, he will hopefully not go into a massive sulk but will still give us his all for the rest of the season.

I expect him to leave in the summer - and for a lot more than £1.5m.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
But that was before anyone whispered in his ear about what he could make as a Championship player. It's easy to say you're settled when nobody has noticed how good you are.

my point exactly. You can say what you like when no one is looking to sign you.it's a completely different kettle of fish when you've got a premership club in waiting throwing money at you. What he said and did before this window is irrelevant.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Has anybody thought of the possibility that another team other than Norwich are interested in him, perhaps a Prem team? He may know this and that might actually be a better reason to leave.

Just a thought like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here