Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elliot Bennet hands in transfer request (with source)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Don't get me wrong, Elliot leaving would be a blow, but we are not a one man anymore, anyone cacking themselves over this also doesn't understand what Gus has been trying to achieve.
Oh right. I thought Gus was trying to win football matches. You do this by scoring goals. Bennett has either created or scored HALF our goals this season.

So excuse the rest of us if we're a little pissed off that arguably our most important player wants to leave. I don't care how you dress it up, it's shite news, and I don't care how good a manager Poyet is, he WON'T be able to replace him in TWO days.

Bennett must stay until the end of the season or there is a good chance we're f***ed.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
KLL performs a different role to Bennett, that much is obvious, but Dicker, Bridcutt, a returning Navarro and Jamie Smith can all do a creative job in the midfield. The acquisition of Noone gives an additional wide outlet as awell as two forward playing full backs.

Don't get me wrong, Elliot leaving would be a blow, but we are not a one man anymore, anyone cacking themselves over this also doesn't understand what Gus has been trying to achieve.

It's fine to play pretty keep ball, passing in neat triangles, but what you need, for it to be effective, is someone to play the killer pass. This is what Bennett does.
It's not about caking, it's about being realistic.

As I said, you'd stay in your current job and turn down more money and a better position ? More fool you if you did.

If my employer had just given me a substantial payrise, then yes, I'd like to think I would, at least in the short term. How much do you reckon he was paid as a signing on fee for his renewal?

I'd have no particular problem with him asking for a move in the summer, and having it granted. It's a short career and all that. However to demand a move three days before the end of the window, with no chance to appoint a replacement, is screwing your employer over.

Last edited:

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
If TB and Gus don't want to sell him (i.e the price must be right from Norwich) then he won't go as he is not out of contract. It is not up to Bennett to decide ultimately whether he goes it is up to Gus and TB.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
KLL performs a different role to Bennett, that much is obvious, but Dicker, Bridcutt, a returning Navarro and Jamie Smith can all do a creative job in the midfield. The acquisition of Noone gives an additional wide outlet as awell as two forward playing full backs.

I agree that those players you mentioned are also worthy players capable of doing an excellent job - but Bennett can do what Noone can do. And what Dicker can do. And what Kish can do. And what Calderon can do. That's four players in one.

Bennett has been an ever-present except for one match (I think) for a good reason and Jesus, we missed him that day.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We need nearer £2m really, especially as 25% of whatever we sell him for goes straight to Wolves

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Also, if any Brighton player, at this stage;

- Top of the league
- Playing great football
- Playing under a great, new, young manager
- A brand new, stunning stadium right round the corner

They can "do one". They don't deserve to be here.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
On another note a mate of mine has just called me to say Mandela died last night but they havent released it yet to the general public.... hes in SA by the way

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
3 days, A club without a pot to piss in trying to buy him, A chairman & Manager resolute to keep him. A recently signed four year contract.

Bennett will not be leaving before the summer

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I agree that those players you mentioned are also worthy players capable of doing an excellent job - but Bennett can do what Noone can do. And what Dicker can do. And what Kish can do. And what Calderon can do. That's four players in one.

Bennett has been an ever-present except for one match (I think) for a good reason and Jesus, we missed him that day.

Al, I simply do not accept that we will fall apart If Bennett goes. If we have aspirations to move onward and upwards we should be able to cope with this kind of situation. We are a TEAM and Gus has shown that he can cope with most situations thrown at him. Bennett is currently a key player as the system is designed to use him than other players, I trust Gus to make suitable adjustments to his plans should he need to.

Having said that, the Albion have nothing to gain from accepting Elliot's request at this time, as it is too late to get a properly researched replacement. So i expect them to stand firm and refuse it. If Elliot really wants to be an arse about it then he can just drag his money grabbing hiney out of here and collect his swag. I get the feeling he isn't this sort of player though.

Regency Gull

Jul 14, 2003
Shoreham by Sea
I am not sure what more we could offer the player at this point - it is the best time to be a brighton player for a very long time. If this isn't enough he can go.

BUT - and it is a very big but

He has been the heart of this team as an attacking force - he has been brilliant and have made the difference so many times. He is partly reposponsible for half of our goals this season - half of them. He is a perfect Gus player and would be irreplqacable in three days and a huge loss to the team

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
One thing is for sure, Tony Bloom's phone will be glowing red now that the transfer request has been made public.....I expect there have been quite a few clubs tracking Bennett. If he does go, it won't necessarily be to Norwich (although they do seem to be the most likely).

3895403782_d25b7a5d70_o.jpg

" hello Mr Pardew, I've been expecting your call"

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
What I dont understand is all this transfer request crap, in most working situations dont we go talk with the manager about our issues or plans to leave.

Why make it public, why cause a load of crap, as if he does stay fans will trun on him and so could currant players....surely this sort of thing can be sorted behind the scenes with communication.

Bennett: I want to leave the club.
Poyet: No way, even if you hand in a request or yes we will contact Norwich and agree a suitable fee.

To make it public like this, solves fcuk all, unless of course Bennett is stamping his feet after being told no were not going to accept anything

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ah well.

To put it in perspective, if on Tuesday their center half would ahve clattered him, he could be out injured for the rest of teh season, so in my eyes, Gus must have a plan B should he not be available.

If he wants to leave a team where he is the star, we are top of the league and have a brand new stadium moving forward and a Chairman that appears to have bottomless pockets, then to be honest "bye bye you ungrateful sod". Hope you enjoy your time at Norwich and I hope you manage to get in the premiership and thanks for the memories....

...move on

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
What effing proof do you have he's even interested in a move? If I've missed something and he does want a move then I apologise to you, but as he hasn't and he isn't going anywhere then can I just call you a right royal knob? You right royal knob.

Thanks for the advanced apology - although after this morning's confirmation of Bennett handing in a transfer request, I'd have been happier if I'd turned out to be that 'right royal knob' tbh. :(

Last edited:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
3 days, A club without a pot to piss in trying to buy him, A chairman & Manager resolute to keep him. A recently signed four year contract.

Bennett will not be leaving before the summer

I hope you are right, but it is not good news.

A player that does not want to be here is not my ideal of a good morning. I would like to think we'd keep him here until the summer, but I will not be shocked if he is gone by Monday and not playing tomorrow.

:nono:

Hope Norwich don't go up regardless of his move now!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh and.......

If you dont want to be here, why sign a 4 year contract, you ungrateful sod

ooooh, I could crush a grape

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here