Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Electric bike

MACCAPACCA

Feb 18, 2009
Worthing
Need NSC help. I used to cycle a lot and have been told to buy an electric bike. I am over 60 now. Looking at prices they range from £500 to over £5,000. Are they worth buying, and how much should I be looking at paying? Any recommendation?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Need NSC help. I used to cycle a lot and have been told to buy an electric bike. I am over 60 now. Looking at prices they range from £500 to over £5,000. Are they worth buying, and how much should I be looking at paying? Any recommendation?
IMG_1427.jpeg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Try asking on this thread

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I love my Electric bike. Got a wisper step through. Older style with battery at back. Paid just over a grand about six years ago. Went for the most powerful battery option. Other half recently upgraded to the Wisper wayfarer with battery in middle. Use them a lot when away in Europe on holiday. Used to tow a dog trailer which is why we initially changed to an electric bike. Great on windy seafront and hills when you want to make life a bit easier.

100% worth buying. I'm your age and (wife and I) bought ours 3 years ago and it's one of the best things I've ever purchased. I cycle so much more and am not knackered when I have to go up hills so can cycle much further and enjoy much more (road cycling). With our bike rack we've cycled all over the country and just returned from cycling 3 days Pulborough to Paris. I would recommend Specialized and have the Vado (with gravel tyres so can go off road) which has an integrated battery and so much lighter than many types with external batteries. Cost was around £3k but worth every penny.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Do it! Ebikes are great!
I brought a Bafang kit and it works like a dream! Have used it on a cargo bike worked brilliantly then put it
on my 33 year old Orange Clockwork and works brilliantly!
I am going to put it on my Surly Bridge Club next, think that will be my ultimate bikepacking bike.

Last edited:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I dont know much about them but one with fat wheels whizzed passed me the other day, I checked my speed and I was doing 35 mph so it must have been doing about 45! It was definitely an electric bicycle rathe than an electric motorbike

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I ride an orthodox bike, a hybrid. But on holiday in the Italian Alps in summer 2020 we used the e-bikes available at the hotel. Wow … they’re incredible, we were able to ride up big Alpine climbs of steep gradients and countless hairpin bends. Also up a vertiginous gravel route to meadows above the tree-line.

SAC

May 21, 2014
ELOPS at Decathlon get good reviews. These three would be worth a look at

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
If you live in Brighton, DON'T leave it locked up anywhere near the town centre/seafront it will be stolen, even with the strongest lock available to mankind, it's an epidemic

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
An electric bike is all the fun parts of cycling without the hard work. Definitely recommended. The suggestion for Decathlon above is good, they’re well trusted and very competitively priced.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I dont know much about them but one with fat wheels whizzed passed me the other day, I checked my speed and I was doing 35 mph so it must have been doing about 45! It was definitely an electric bicycle rathe than an electric motorbike

All the Deliveroo guys have those ones, as do the phone snatchers in London, which have a throttle rather than a regular e-bike which just assists your pedalling.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
I saw a couple of used bikes in the electric scooter shop in George St Hove yesterday. Both under £1000 and with a 1 year warranty.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My other half's knee is knackered so he bought an electric bike circa £2K, Moustache, from the shop in Queens Road.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They are great fun and encourage you to get out more and has been said by another poster travel further

I wanted something lightweight, that was good to use without any power assistance when I felt like a bit more exercise and easy to shove in the boot of a small car…so went for a fold up…20 inch wheels with the battery in the seat post …..managed to get one second hand half price at £500 ..with just 100 miles on the clock and looking brand new.

There’s a big choice out there …with a few factors to weigh up …enjoy

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Very much illegal, of course - UK road legal electric cycles must only offer assistance to pedaling (not freewheeling) and must cut out above 15.5mph (25kmph).

In London, I semi-frequently see such bikes being pulled over by Police, sometimes in organised actions, but there are SO MANY of these twats, essentially all food delivery riders now use illegal e-bikes, and they are the absolute WÜRST for ignoring traffic signals, etc. (and i say this as a law-abiding cyclist)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Very much illegal, of course - UK road legal electric cycles must only offer assistance to pedaling (not freewheeling) and must cut out above 15.5mph (25kmph).

In London, I semi-frequently see such bikes being pulled over by Police, sometimes in organised actions, but there are SO MANY of these twats, essentially all food delivery riders now use illegal e-bikes, and they are the absolute WÜRST for ignoring traffic signals, etc. (and i say this as a law-abiding cyclist)
Seconded

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I hadn't been on a bike for 10 years+.

Visiting my parents on a campsite in the new forest at the weekend and went on my mothers folding ebike.

"That looks NAFF" i thought.

30 mins later I was still doing laps of the campsite. Getting faster and faster each time. Absolutely bloody loved it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here