Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Election night 1997

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
As ever, they focussed on short term policies for short term popularity never seeing beyond the next election. The fake prosperity everyone was enjoying was funded by a massive expansion in credit, which was so obviously unsustainable. Gordon consistently claimed he was being prudent and had abolished boom and bust on the one hand, while his policies were driving us at full speed towards the cliff edge, which we disappeared over in 2007. Just because most other major economies followed similar stupid short-term policies, doesn't get him off the hook. Its wasn't a "global problem that started in America".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It didn't all go wrong. Its been very right but as with all thing political the mass's have turned and the press has brain washed the mass's.

It will all go full circle once the Torys been in for a while regardless of the job they do. It's what happens in this country.

Labour have sorted the country out and are steadying us in this world reccession.

Not sure if I'd agree with it being "very right" or that our country has been "sorted out", but the general point I agree with.

We live in what is a largely a two party system. One party gains support, then power, then take control, then the supporters grow complacent, the floating voters grow disillusioned (rightly or wrongly), some who were poor get rich, some who were rich get poor, and the floating voters switch parties, who gain support and momentum and then the power and the cycle starts over again.

Sometimes there are extra issues, this time the global economic problems.

We had 17-18 years of a tory government, the people went to labour, after 13 years they want to go back. give it anoth 10-15 years we'll be going back again (barring any reform that brings in legitimate competition to a two partry system, i.e. PR)

I've mentioned this on here before, but there was a conservative supporter speaking on american TV shortly after Obama's election win who said "Don't worry, they'll come back to the right, they always do" ignoring that to always come back to the right means they have to go to the left first.

1066gull

With Hereford less than 48 hours away I was on tenterhooks but stayed up to watch the results coming in.

I had two children under 5 years of age, worked for someone else with a normal size mortgage, had a good life but like everyone wanted better for my family.

After some shut eye saw Craplan take Hove then watched Blair addressing the press, thought here was someone that could make it a better nation not just for my family but for everyone.

NSC'ers I ask you, where did it all go wrong?

My old man said a similar thing the other day. He was speaking to his friend when he mentioned he said to my mum back then 'I think Labour have got it right, they have a good speaker now. But he should never have gone to war, that was when it went wrong'

He also added prior to making that statement, 'I never liked that man Brown, I don't know why'

Seems like all of the parents of today say the same thing nearly in my eyes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here