Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Abd was AWESOME!!!

Sep 1, 2010
It's not a step up. He already had 50 games, give or take, at this level, prior to the beginning of the season

I do not entirely agree with that, given that he was nothing like the standard he is now under Poyet' reign. El-Abd for me was superb today and was streets ahead of Calderon.

El-Abd's previous chance at Championship football was hardly backed up with the quality he has around him now either

I mostly agree with one proviso. Think his lack of height does at times affect us in defence. It didn't last season, but the better forwards in the Championship are causing him more problems in the air (at least once today Greer assertively went for a header/challenge which El Abd was closer to)

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I think I might skip this thread....... anyone else think with the exception of Mattock, our defense looked out of their depth today?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
No, I think you're on your own.

I know I'm not on my own. I think El-Abd and Greer got for the lack of a better word, bullied, by Boro today. Don't think we can play with two central defenders that can't win a header. Greer's poor in the air, and El-Abd just isnt big enough. One's fine, but I don't think they are right together against a big strike force.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I know I'm not on my own. I think El-Abd and Greer got for the lack of a better word, bullied, by Boro today. Don't think we can play with two central defenders that can't win a header. Greer's poor in the air, and El-Abd just isnt big enough. One's fine, but I don't think they are right together against a big strike force.
I thought Emnes and Jutkiewicz looked brilliant today, but El Abd and Greer prevented them from getting many absolutely clear chances. El Abd in particular reads the game brilliantly and consistenly intercepts through balls, gets in front of the striker at the right moment etc. We don't concede many goals when these two are in the middle. I can't remember us being under the cosh from an aerial bombardment, today or previously.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I thought Emnes and Jutkiewicz looked brilliant today, but El Abd and Greer prevented them from getting many absolutely clear chances. El Abd in particular reads the game brilliantly and consistenly intercepts through balls, gets in front of the striker at the right moment etc. We don't concede many goals when these two are in the middle. I can't remember us being under the cosh from an aerial bombardment, today or previously.

So glad when Emnes went off. Quality player. Needs to lose that pony tail though. He looks like Hope Powell.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Thought Middlesborough ruled the midfield today but came up against Greer and El Abd partically put up a brick wall...EA was definately the MotM Today.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Perhaps consider that they were up against 2 forwards today and that we only conceded one goal? That probably says enough....be interesting to see your thoughts come the Reading game

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I mostly agree with one proviso. Think his lack of height does at times affect us in defence. It didn't last season, but the better forwards in the Championship are causing him more problems in the air (at least once today Greer assertively went for a header/challenge which El Abd was closer to)

Greer is pretty tall but cannot win an aerial challenge for love nor money. Hes dreadful at getting off the ground. Lucky hes pretty decent with the ball at his feet. Its something ive been watching all season, for a tall centre half he struggles to win aerial challenges.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
El Abd is 5ft 11 inches, the same as Mattock. It's not exactly small. That bald headed bloke in the Middlesborough defence was a midget in comparison.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Thought Middlesborough ruled the midfield today but came up against Greer and El Abd partically put up a brick wall...EA was definately the MotM Today.

Absolutely this - The decision to play Navarro and Bridcutt in Midfield today was incorrect IMO with Vicente becoming completely isolated and pretty much inefective through no fault of his own. They absolutely bossed the midfield and that was clear to see but it took Gus forever to change it. Bids and navs sat so deep and invited pressure on at times. But whatever - A point was a decent result against boro who were without doubt the best side ive seen here this season

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With Bridcutt suspended I wonder if it would be worth trying Dunk in central defence and El Abd just in front doing a holding role like Bailey did against us for the game at Burnley. I am sure that Adam wouldn't lets us down

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
He COULD be a Premiership defender next season with us and who would have ever thought that !!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here