Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Abd hailed as the best

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I saw this and wondered why it conflicts so much with popular opinion on here, even when BBC Sussex commentators AND Argus match reports seem to have been full of praise for El-Abd of late.

I mean, who to trust? Football club manager and respected former pro Gus Poyet, newspaper reporters and BBC commentary/summary team OR the whine-a-long of NSC?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So you think that El-Abd's been playing worse than some of our players recently? Bit wrong to pick out El-Abd's technique with some of the other defenders we have. And he is slowly improving on his weaker foot. Do you not remember his 35 yard strike on his left foot a few seasons ago?! Plus, he's only 25, still got lots to learn. And if he is truly as bad as you say, surely he wouldn't be getting regular games under so many consecutive managers. Or are you a better judge than all of them?

Hang on - I'm singling out El Abd, on this thread, as its a thread ABOUT EL ABD. [I gave my thoughts on Elphick, on the ELPHICK thread...]

Slowly improving at the age of 25, in the context of a footballers career, is really nothing to shout about.

And I do remember his 25 yard strike, in the 4-1 win at home to Orient, yes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I saw this and wondered why it conflicts so much with popular opinion on here, even when BBC Sussex commentators AND Argus match reports seem to have been full of praise for El-Abd of late.

I mean, who to trust? Football club manager and respected former pro Gus Poyet, newspaper reporters and BBC commentary/summary team OR the whine-a-long of NSC?

Lazy post. Read the thread - there is no conflict on what Poyet says - we all agree he's played well of late. We just disagree on his ability as a whole.

Headline on back page of this morning Argus.

It goes on to say Poyet regards Adam El Abd as his best defender.

Well done Adam :) :clap:

Given that we have conceded MORE goals than anyone else in this League:rant: that's hardly a ringing endorsement :goal:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I would disagree that he wasn't up to it along with many of his ex-colleagues who trained with him everyday. I feel that he is better than Navarro, A Davies and Seb Carole who is back on trial at the club. As a home grown player I presume he is cheaper than the aforementioned too.

Granted Cox and Elphick are not in the form of their life but not many of our new players who have cost a considerable amount of money have been 'setting the world alight'.

After spending a fair amount of money since Dean Wilkins and shipping out numerous players, are we any better?

spot on. do you think it would be easy to replace somebody who can play all across the back four or in central midfield, doesn't mind being moved around and never complains when dropped, plus probably isn't on that much money?

el abd is a good squad player. at least recognise his strengths even if you don't think he should be in the team.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
somebody who can play all across the back four or in central midfield, doesn't mind being moved around and never complains when dropped, plus probably isn't on that much money?

He's like the anti-Virgo.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
spot on. do you think it would be easy to replace somebody who can play all across the back four or in central midfield, doesn't mind being moved around and never complains when dropped, plus probably isn't on that much money?

el abd is a good squad player. at least recognise his strengths even if you don't think he should be in the team.

Exactly. If someone gives me the name of a utility player who will willingly do what he has done for the club and play better than him, then I will happily say replace him. But when I issue this challenge, I find no takers, so it's all :bla: to me.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Lazy post. Read the thread - there is no conflict on what Poyet says - we all agree he's played well of late. We just disagree on his ability as a whole.

I admit I'd not read the whole thread but I was making a genuine observation in that not having seen him play week in week out myself I tend to listen to what other fans have to say as well as the media and recent player ratings threads have been just as scathing of El-Abd as they've ever been whilst the media's take on his performances have been that he's been one of our best payers of late.

He does seem to be an easy target BUT I still pay a lot of attention to the fans that do go and pay their money every week to see our team and as I'm not one of them I do actually take notice of what they have to say.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I have to admit that ElAbject has not been our worst player recently, but our best defender? OK he can block tackle, if he happens to be in the right place at the right time, but that is about his limit.

With our goals against record in mind, saying he is our best defender is more of an insult than a compliment.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
has everyone forgotten that Gus said something similar ages ago, when he got El Abd to sign a new contract?

It's why he's a professional football manager and everyone else on here isn't.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
has everyone forgotten that Gus said something similar ages ago, when he got El Abd to sign a new contract?

It's why he's a professional football manager and everyone else on here isn't.

proper light-bulb moment there mate.........another word he uses quite often is belief......:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here