Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Egg chasing world cup

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Less than a month to go now. Who do you reckon will win it then? I suspect NZ will win it, personally.

Looking at England's group, we might struggle to get into the knockout stages, as we have both Scotland and Argentina in our group.

Official RWC 2011 Site - Fixtures

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
More importantly, is this on terrestial tv?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think the All Blacks will walk it. I don't think the World Cup warm up matches have been a useful tool for judging the capabilitites of teams, as most teams have put out 'experimental' line ups so far. What we have learnt over the last year, is that England or Ireland are probably the best placed of the Northern Hemisphere teams and that Australia look weaker than they have in a long time.

I was disappointed by Flood's performance at number 10 at the weekend, and think that Wilkinson may now have won the shirt, based upon his magnificent performance a week ago. I think England look good in the forwards, but need to recognise when there are better options than simply crashing the ball.

My biggest concern is our centre partnership. Tindall seems to be talismatic and was one of the few players to have a good game on Saturday. We really missed his leadership for the last 6 nations game. Hape looks good in defence, but blunt in attack. Tuilangi and Flutey look good, but I'm not sure if they are a bit 'raw' as a partnership, they may well improve if they are given another chance. For my money, Tuilangi has to start the first game, with the other centre spot still up for grabs.

Last edited:

Less than a month to go now. Who do you reckon will win it then? I suspect NZ will win it, personally.

Looking at England's group, we might struggle to get into the knockout stages, as we have both Scotland and Argentina in our group.

If the All Blacks get through the Tri Nations without suffering injuries they have to be favourites.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009

Nonsense! Six Nations champions, we'll get to the quarters at least.

NZ to lose in the semis as usual to France, SA or Oz.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nonsense! Six Nations champions, we'll get to the quarters at least.

NZ to lose in the semis as usual to France, SA or Oz.
England have been in camp for weeks now, and looked extremely ordinary against Wales. Up front we look decent, but apparently we had ten penalties and chose to scrum or kick to the corner flag for an attacking lineout in all caes, and not once did we take points. Not particularly good in-game decision making then. :nono:

NZ are indeed serial bottlers but they are at home this time, and they won it last time it was in NZ. That game against France in Cardiff when they got knocked out 4 years ago was probably the best or most exciting game of rugby I've ever seen.

I think NZ will win it with a bit to spare, with Ireland being the surprise package of the tournament.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
New Zealand should win it easily, but I think Australia will win it. I wouldn't rule us or France out

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
NZ should win, but then again I think they've been favourites for every world cup apart from 2003 when England were the team to beat.

England are looking decent and the 1st choice XV should be good enough to top their group and get a winnable quarter final game. Can't see us being good enough to get to the final for the 3rd time in a row, but then again I wouldn't have predicted us getting past the quarters 4 years ago!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think England should make the semis if they perform to their full potential. Thereafter, anything could happen.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I would say England are nailed on for an apperance in the Semi Finals. And once you get that far anyone can win it.

But I would expect the All Blacks to take the trophy.

Looking forward to it though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would say England are nailed on for an apperance in the Semi Finals. And once you get that far anyone can win it.

But I would expect the All Blacks to take the trophy.

Looking forward to it though.
Hmmm, not convinced by that. New Zealand or France for us first if we get to the knock out rounds...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
England to lose against All Blacks in final,........ they are looking awesome,...... I am hearing that if the seedings go as planned we will face France and then Australia to get to the final,..... both teams we have beaten recently, so its all there for the taking given a fair wind.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Welsh in-laws loving the fact that they beat a dreadful England at the weekend. Bit worried about not making the quarters now, neither Argentina nor Scotland are mugs. Mind you quarter final would probably be against France or new Zealand, hard to see us progressing past that stage. Hope that we do well and will be 100% behind the team but can't see any northern hemisphere team doing well. That said, if Ireland can beat Australia they have a good chance of getting to the semis and anything could happen then.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
England have been in camp for weeks now, and looked extremely ordinary against Wales. Up front we look decent, but apparently we had ten penalties and chose to scrum or kick to the corner flag for an attacking lineout in all caes, and not once did we take points. Not particularly good in-game decision making then. :nono:

Set piece practise instead of trying to win a match of little relevance?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Hmmm, not convinced by that. New Zealand or France for us first if we get to the knock out rounds...

If results go the way which you would expect and England top the group and France come second, England on paper should beat France, I dont see any reason why we cant, based upon previous world cup form, France dont perform like the all blacks at world cups and they are intransition (I cant spell) period where as England look like they are going to have a settled squad based upon the successful 6 Nations. I fully expect England to get to the Semi Finals and then who knows, we do seem to have big game players at the moement and fingers crossed they can perform when it matters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here