Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Educating people to the way we play

We desperately need someone more creative to play in the middle ahead of Bridcutt - currently we're a little obvious in our approach which is down the wings or nothing at all. CMS, for one, will benefit from somebody splitting the defence with useful through balls.

Ahead of? You mean playing forward of, or instead of Bridcutt??

Since he's one of our best and more progressive squad members, who makes things tick in the midfield - I imagine you mean the former, right?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes, but the nail in our last World Cup coffin was a ball from the goallie that soared all the way over our players to a German who made it look like candy from a baby to put it joyfully in our stupid fuckwit net. Useless England rubbish that will never ever again threaten to go any closer to a trophy than Tunisia.
Of course, we are unlikely to ever come across sides as pathetic as England in the Championship, mind. ???

True, but there were 3 other nails in the coffin as well! And as you say, it was only England.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It didn't work that well yesterday, a combination of it being the start of the season with new players, and that Gillingham were prepared for our style and pushed up a lot. If passing around the back does draw the opposition out, I don't see a problem with a direct ball over the top, where there's some space.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
I think Painter's one-footedness was part of the problem last night.

He seemed to be getting the ball in deeper positions than last year and if the simple down the line pass wasn't on he tended to turn back towards his own goal and knock it back from whence it came, which is fine but loses momentum.

By contrast Calderon is usually close to the half way line when he receives the ball and I thought he was under used last night (although to be fair Gills left back looked more accomplished than their right back IMO).

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
So how do we educate those who maybe didn't come to the Withdean and have not seen the way we play that this is our style and we keep the ball and its not time wasting.

The answer to this is to detain those in need of training. Split them into small mixed groups, pursue a policy of active learning which should produce positive outcomes. If this fails, thrash the little scoundrels and make them chant the mantra of " we must never pass the ball more than 30 metres."

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Loads of old blokes moaning about defensive passes creating holes, totally clueless blokes in 50's-70's - really annoyed me. My only gripe about our possession game is the likes of Dicker who will be in an advanced position and they do not spot a run, he nearly always cuts back and plays the ball back - this gives the opposition defense time to gain shape. We will need a midfielder that can play a quicker more decisive ball.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Last night, at times, the passing around the back was dodgy... we got away with it this time. Hopefully they will pick the pace up a tadge in the next few games when doing this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
CMS would thrive on long balls over the defence imo, we really do need to be able to mix it up. Long ball at the right time is a killer, we must not get into a mindset that any pass beyond 10 yards is hoof ball and should be discouraged. For the most part we should play keep ball but when we do attack we should do it in a variety of ways and occasionally in defence row Z IS the answer. If Gus disagrees then we are gonna have some heartstopping defensive moments this season.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
If were hanging on to a lead with minutes remaining and being put under pressure then some 'hoofs' may well be required, and its always nice to see a 50 yard cross field ball to feet or a defence splitting long ball over the top for a striker to run on to but on the whole 'tippy-tappy' is the way forward and english football needs to realise this if the national team is ever going to win anything. You only need to watch Spain or Barcelona to realise this......its how the game should be played!!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Ahead of? You mean playing forward of, or instead of Bridcutt??

Since he's one of our best and more progressive squad members, who makes things tick in the midfield - I imagine you mean the former, right?

absolutely correct and i can understand the confusion - in front of, in advance of, behind the strikers

Bridcutt was my MOM on Sat (up until 98th min)
he's quality

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I keep hearing this and I don't understand it. When are these times? How often do you see Brazil hoof it? What about Spain? Barcelona? Do they ever hoof it? This is why we cant win the World Cup, this mentality in the English game.

Exactly.

The bit that makes me laugh / cry is when we do crash out of a major championship the same fans who have demanded hoof-ball at every level of football from kids upwards are suddenly aghast at how the National Team can't pass the ball, and retain possession like Spain or Brazil.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Think we have to recognise that because the game was CC 1st round v 2 div, there were always going to be a lot of 'unfamiliar fans'

Having said that, there are times, even last season, when we sailed a bit close to the wind.

Retaining the ball in the closing minutes is still better than a misplaced hoof. Nooney demonstrated the principle beautifully last night in the closing minutes, carrying the ball to the left corner flag running down time and retaining possession superbly.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
On saturday and last night we looked like we always wanted an extra touch on the ball, an extra pass and a fraction more time. Several times noone/Buckley were in acres of space but it took 2 or 3 passes from the middle of the pitch when a single pass would have set them on their way. I do think we need another crofts type hard as nails centre midfielder to take charge of these situations.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
CMS would thrive on long balls over the defence imo, we really do need to be able to mix it up. Long ball at the right time is a killer, we must not get into a mindset that any pass beyond 10 yards is hoof ball and should be discouraged. For the most part we should play keep ball but when we do attack we should do it in a variety of ways and occasionally in defence row Z IS the answer. If Gus disagrees then we are gonna have some heartstopping defensive moments this season.

I think we already do mix it up thoguh, no? We had quite a few goals/chances last year from long balls from Greer through the middle to the strikers.

I think what Gus doesn't want us to do is panic and just smash the ball away when under pressure, or mindlessly kick the ball upfield like a rugby team, when there's no-one to get onto it.

I'd say very occasionally, clearing the ball into row Z is required, but if we want to continue playing Gus's style it hsould be discouraged unless absolutely necessary.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
A couple of more senior gentlemen behind me in the WSU were moaning about our play. Dunk is a 'useless defender' because he doesn't clear the ball forward and keeps playing it to the keeper.

Also, Ankegren shouldn't keep 'fannying around' with the ball and should kick it long. I took great delight when Casper did just this and the ball went straight to their full back to launch an attack. The coach in me explained loudly to my son that that was why we keep posession rather than hoof it forward as the opposition can't score if they don't have the ball. The old boys shut up after that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here