Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edl

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
My mate got pulled aside by OB at new street and had to prove he was going to football. We got alot of dirty looks on Broad street and all the bar staff seemed a bit off with us to say the least, we were only watching the football

kip

Aug 2, 2011
I know a black mate who pisses himself over all this. White people trying to work out was is offensive or not. Just relax people as long as there is no intent it doesn't matter.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
And as for the word coloured, for starters RAD is from Perth where it's still the 70s, and we're not in South Africa where it is offensive.

Don't see the problem myself, who decides what is and isn't acceptable :shrug:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
No, he finds out the addresses of NSC members who disagree with his views and knocks on their door to continue the discussion too!

No EP, That was an isolated incident where a poster was making very personal insults, not where he disagreed with me, on a lighter note, i'm off to blackpool this weekend, i'm sure i'll receive a comely welcome from the female population!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know a black mate who pisses himself over all this. White people trying to work out was is offensive or not. Just relax people as long as there is no intent it doesn't matter.
Yeah, I think that's quite common. A lot (but not all) of the black people I've met look at whites tying themselves up in knots about what words/terms are offensive and what aren't with a mixture of amusement and benign contempt. Underlying that though is a sense of exasperation: at the end of the day they ARE just words and there is a feeling that too much of the debate is about 'offensiveness' and not enough about ending prejudice with actions not words. (That's a bit of a trite summing-up but it'll do). This was best encapsulated by a TV interview I saw a while ago (pre-Obama) with an elderly American who said something along the lines of "When I was born I was a Negro. Then I was Colored. Then I was Black. Now I'm an African-American. God knows what I'll be next year but I'll tell you this: white folk are still called white and they're still in power."

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No EP, That was an isolated incident where a poster was making very personal insults, not where he disagreed with me, on a lighter note, i'm off to blackpool this weekend, i'm sure i'll receive a comely welcome from the female population!

I used to run a nightclub in Blackpool! I think that chewing on Blackpool rock since they were three years old has made the women there happy to stick anything in their mouths at any time, some of the sights I saw when running it were scandalous.

One word of advice, Double Bag it mate! :bigwave: Have fun!

Basil D'Oliviera was indeed classified by the Apartheid government as "Cape Coloured". That is what CricInfo is alluding to by referring to his "half-life" status as a second class subject of a nation that denied him his human rights:-

"One of broadcaster-writer John Arlott's most worthy deeds was saving Basil D'Oliveira from half-life as a Cape Colored in South Africa by persuading Middleton, the Central Lancashire League club, to take him on as their professional in 1960".

The racism would lie in denying that. I remember being horrified when South African prime minister Vorster cancelled the England tour because he couldn't tolerate a "Cape Coloured" player competing against an all-white team.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
People are too quick to pigeon hole, everyone is an individual. And as such, individuals will have there own idea of what is offensive and what isn't whatever colour you are.
But in my view as an individual, the e.d.l are c**ts

Quagmire

Jul 29, 2011
Quaghog, Rhode Island

Completely agreed, I live in an area with a large black/Asian community and they find it hilarious. They are often the ones making "racist" jokes about themselves!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's not a case of being fashionable. I just don't like the term. I think it's incredibly dated and yes, it makes me uncomfortable. I'd wouldn't call anyone that. One of my friends is mixed race and he's always said he hates that term more than almost anything else. He describes himself as mixed race or black. "Coloured" was perpetrated particularly by the apartheid regime in SA as a means of categorising people...can you not see why people might find that a tiny bit offensive? To me, it's a real throwback to an age where people were far more casually racist, or at least more openly so.

I realise not everyone who uses it understands why it upsets, which is why I've explained it now.

f***ing hell, where does it end? So it isn't coloured it's black or it's offensive to certain members of our darker brethren? So what about blacks that only like being called coloured? Or what about us whiteys? Am I now being offensive to us pale skinned race? What is an ethnic minority? Do I live in one in my area of London? Yes, am I therefore and ethnic? I'm offended by 'ethnic' ... don't call me it. In fact don't call me whitey, that offends me to. Oh and we can't say the N word but the bro's on the street call themselves that. So I can't call them black, coloured, darkies, N word (which they call themselves), I can call them people, as I do but if I need to identify for whatever reason I cannot bring colour into the equation because it'll upset. Well yes officer I did see the man that mugged the old lady, he was 6 foot tall and could have been black but I'm not sure I can say that. I f***ing despair!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Can someone please author a little 'coloured' book like Chairman Mao Zedong did so I know what I can and cannot do please? I feel like a prisoner in my own country nowadays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here