Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Edinburgh

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Go to the Zoo, you are going up 2 months to early, late August during the Fringe is the time to go.

Edward Scissorhands

Feb 20, 2005
joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
Go to the Zoo, you are going up 2 months to early, late August during the Fringe is the time to go.

Ahhh, can't help that. Uni' open day 16th June.

Will give the Zoo a look.

Any good clubs/pubs that I should take in? (Provided I have *cough* ID *cough*)

Can you look around the castle?

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Castle, a bit over rated, but a nice walk up the royal mile anyway.
A walk up to Arthurs Seat a must (but hard work)
Look for live music venues, usually a few.

Never really had too much bother anywhere up there (stayed for 6 months). For tourist things, just search the net, all are really much of a muchness.

If you like Chinese food the Rendevouz has a great and cheap daytime buffet.

For strip bars etc -
Pubic triangle.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Lived there from 97/00 so some of the places I used to frequent are probably gone or changed. There are several distinct areas to go out drinking, the first is Rose Street which runs parallel with Princes St and George St, there are more than enough bars there to keep you going for a couple of weeks, there was a Weatherspoons pub, think it is called the standing order at one end of the street which is a good place to start, there are also a couple of traditional boozers that time seems to have forgotten.

The next area is around the Grassmarket, in the shadow of the castle, a couple of theme type bars (Irish/sports), I had red wine tipped all over me by some stupid tart in the sports bar, completely ruined my evening and a nice grey top that I was wearing for the first and only time, the annoying thing was that she was trying to throw the wine at someone else and just thought that it was funny that she had missed and got someone else. Near the Grassmarket are a couple of clubs, whose names escape me and an Aussie bar that always had a good atmosphere.

Lothian Road is best avoided as you have a fair chance of getting beaten up for being English, or at least you did when I lived in Edinburgh. There are a couple of really decent pubs in an area called the Cowgate, but it is difficult to find without the aid of a friendly local or a taxi driver. My favourite pub was the Caledonian Sample Room which isn't too far from the brewery or Tynecastle, the beer in there was excellent, probably the best in Edinburgh and they always had some decent guest beers, plus it was easy staggering distance from home. A couple of doors away from the Sample Room is a pub called something like the Stratford Arms, locally it is known as "diggers" as traditionally it was where the grave-diggers drank, it is probably the most famous pub in Edinburgh.

Areas best avoided are the new town as it is full of "yahs" and rugger-bugger types, unless of course that is your thing, you are welcome to it. Some parts of Leith are/were on the rough side, but I think that may have changed in the years since I left. Another personal favourite pub for me was Berts Bar in William Street, again it is a bit out of the way near Haymarket, but they served Black Sheep on draught, which was a good reason for going into any pub. I will try and think of a few more places to go, but it is getting late and I need my beauty sleep.

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
Only one team in "Burgh",
HIBEES!!
Great pub about five minutes from Easter Road which is good to go in any time.
CABBAGE +RIBS.
A real football pub.
A Hibs pub but don't let that put you off as everything inside the pub is done really well.
From the pictures of former players,George Best etc to the words graved in the bar...BOVRIL,THE DRINK OF FOOTBALL FANS.
Edinburgh great place with nice people.
Alot more culture than Glasgow.
HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Bit odd really, I lived in Edinburgh but found the "weedjies" more friendly on the whole, though there is no denying that it is a more pleasant place to live. However auld reekie is far more cosmopolitain and I made friends there from all over the World.

I lived on the "maroon" side of the city and didn't venture as far as Easter Road for anything other than the footy, and to visit a former girlfriend but her family were all Celts.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The Whisky Heritage Centre just outside the castle gates is a must if you like a wee dram or two!

Gully said:
LThe next area is around the Grassmarket ... There are a couple of really decent pubs in an area called the Cowgate, but it is difficult to find without the aid of a friendly local or a taxi driver.

Er, Cowgate is off the Grassmarket...

Grassmarket is shit - Cowgate is good.

And your later post is spot on - Glasgow is way, way better than Embra.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I didn'ae say that Glesgie was better than auld reekie, I jest said that the folks are meer friendly, de ya ken.

I think Cowgate is somewhere below George V bridge, can't remember how to get there from the Grassmarket as it is a long time since I was there.

Gully said:
I didn'ae say that Glesgie was better than auld reekie, I jest said that the folks are meer friendly, de ya ken.

Aye, ah ken. Glesca (get it right, ye East coast bam) is better'n Embra, mind.

I think Cowgate is somewhere below George V bridge

Spot on. Cowgate leads off from the east end of Grassmarket

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
OK, I can remember that the road from the other end of the Grassmarket split, one way you went round past a club that may have been called Gaia and the other side led you up to the top end of Lothian road. Or should I say, can't remember it, as that was always the way I left to go home.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Dinnae believe a word of what fb's saying mate. Embra knocks the Weeg into a cocked hat. If you're staying near the Cowgate there are three well known pubs, the Three Sisters which will be full of hens/stags, Siglo and Bannermans(where I used to workand met my wife). If you walk up Victoria Street which is at the far western end of Cowgate/east end of the Grassmarket it will take you up to George IV bridge. There are a couple of decent pubs up there, Bar Kohl (Vodka bar) and the Villager. I have also heard good reports about a sister pub to the Villager which is at the west end of the Grassmarket leading up to the "pubic triangle". Can't remember the name of it but it used to be called the Fire Station. Avoid Rose Street unless you are on a Stag. George Street which is parallel to Rose Street is much better but very pricey. Where the beautiful people hang out as well as Hibs Ned footballers. There is an excellent new bar/club called Le Monde which has three different theme bars, Milan, Vienna & Paris. Other good/swanky bar/clubs on George Street are Opal Lounge, The Living Room & Oloroso. I'm too old for full-on clubbing these days but there is a decent club called Po Na Na on Frederick Street just down from George Street.

If you're looking for an excellent pub to watch the World Cup I agree with Gully. Head for the Caley Sample Rooms or the Diggers (whose real name is the Athletic Arms, not Stratfords which is another pub close by on Gorgie Road but a total dive). the CSR has 4 big screens so you can see the games where ever you're sitting.

Also, you can enjoy smoke-free pubs!

Hope this helps and have a great time.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Whatever you do, make sure you sample a pint of Caledonian Deuchars IPA :drink: Other than the beloved H, it's one of the finest pints I have ever had the pleasure to sample (at the GBBF). Pubs worth trying are the Oxford Bar (has several rooms, so you can avoid the tourists on the Rebus trail) on Young Street and the Southsider (not surprisingly, in Southside, near the university).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here