Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Milliband... on his way out?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Heard a whisper from a well placed source today that Labour grandees and senior union barons have given Ed till Conference to get his act together.

If he's still punching below his weight come the autumn he'll be asked to step aside, citing personal reasons...

No word yet who's in line for the job though.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
he has been given to at least the 2012 games.Labour have never ever got rid of the leader so quick.Red Ed will be there for the 2015 election.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
who?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Heard a whisper from a well placed source today that Labour grandees and senior union barons have given Ed till Conference to get his act together.

If he's still punching below his weight come the autumn he'll be asked to step aside, citing personal reasons...

No word yet who's in line for the job though.

That's Balls

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They are in total carnage but good news for the Blues as an easy ride

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
serious though, for a few months you'd think Balls was the leader, based on media coverage. seems he's been told to stay quiet more recently but "Milibland" hasnt come out of the shadows. i cant remember a more low profile major party leader. you sort of get the impression he ran for a laugh (or personal sibling rivalry) and hasn't really thought what he does next.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can't recall any situation like this: the briefings in the papers, the anonymous well-placed sources, the whisperings anyone would think the Labour Party was at death's door.

And yet, the Labour Party is riding between 8 to 10 points clear in the polls - all of the time while the government has been going through a honeymoon period. The Coalition is now in a bit of a mess, with clear fractures between the Conservatives and the LibDems and yet, what dominates the political agenda? The future of the bloke who's romping ahead in the opinion polls.

Never underestimate the power of the Tory press to roll out an agenda to suit it.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
He is playing the long game.

There are more dark economic days yet to dawn to ensure the total destruction of traitor Clegg and his power seeking opportunists.

Labour to retake power in 2015.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I can't recall any situation like this: the briefings in the papers, the anonymous well-placed sources, the whisperings anyone would think the Labour Party was at death's door.

And yet, the Labour Party is riding between 8 to 10 points clear in the polls - all of the time while the government has been going through a honeymoon period. The Coalition is now in a bit of a mess, with clear fractures between the Conservatives and the LibDems and yet, what dominates the political agenda? The future of the bloke who's romping ahead in the opinion polls.

Never underestimate the power of the Tory press to roll out an agenda to suit it.

latest poll

con 39 lab 40 lib dem 10 not 8 points its one with populas

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
That's Balls

Would be the preferred candidate of the men in grey suits. Big personality, big intellect and not frightened of a scrap. But too closely associated to the Brown administration.
The modernisers are tapping up his wife, to see if she would throw her hat into the ring, supported by EB. They see it as dream ticket. A kind of Richard and Judy, if you will.

My source is v well placed. Next Labour leader - E Cooper...?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Labour picked the wrong Milliband. Ed only got the leadership because the unions wanted him, thinking he would introduce union-friendly policies. Members and MPs voted for David Milliband. Ed and Ed Balls' opposition to the coalition's deficit reduction plan loses credibility when David Milliband had a definite plan to reduce the deficit, as did Alastair Darling, whether you think it's right or not (personally, I think the coalition is going somewhat too fast, but there isn't a great deal of difference between its plans and the David Milliband/Alastair Darling plan). It's just like the Conservatives choosing Hague over Clarke, then Duncan-Smith over Portillo and Clarke. Politically committed members often go for someone who they think will bring in policies they like, rather than ones the public will vote for. I voted for Clarke in 2001, as he was the only alternative to Duncan-Smith, but knew all along that fellow members would vote for IDS. I was shattered when the MPs rejected Portillo, who I thought really understood why the Conservatives had been so heavily beaten. Labour is in just the same position, but whereas we had Cameron, who have Labour got apart from David Milliband? Ed Balls thinks the same as Ed Milliband.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
...what dominates the political agenda? The future of the bloke who's romping ahead in the opinion polls.

the leader is not the party. is there a poll showing high approval rating explicitly for Miliband?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Last Year was 'good' election to lose.
I do disagree with your first point that he will lose the support of the unions , as to put it simply he is 'Red Ed', however in the place of their support, he will lose 'Middle England' which was so precious for 'New Labour' in the run up to the 1997 election success.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Think Labour will spend many years in opposition after what they did to this country regarding our debt
Nah, they'd have sorted it out by now, the only reason we're still in debt is that the tories have made too many cuts and stopped the economy growing.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Think Labour will spend many years in opposition after what they did to this country regarding our debt
That's bull. Any level headed person would acknowledge that there was a world recession which began in the U.S. Hey, Brown didn't help the situation at all, but we'd have had economic problems either way. As a Labour Party member I have not been impressed with Ed. Whether you agree/disagree with the coalition cuts, Ed could have been slaughtering Cameron in the Commons, but has failed to take advantage. Despite that, Labour are marginally ahead in the polls where just over a year ago they had no chance of re-election. People are fickle.
Labour picked the wrong Milliband. Ed only got the leadership because the unions wanted him, thinking he would introduce union-friendly policies. Members and MPs voted for David Milliband.
100% agree. I personally voted for David and was gutted when he lost. I've seen Ed speak in Coventry, and whilst my opinion of him improved somewhat, one Miliband brother got the genes to be a leader, and it wasn't him. The structure of the Labour Party will always be their downfall. It was unfair to win the member vote and the MP vote but to lose out because of the Unions, but it won't change due to the Unions' funding the party. Their opposition to the AV campaign was laughable; the only way they get their desired candidate to become leader is through AV, and their desired leader was wholeheartedly for the campaign.

I'd much rather Ed Miliband then Ed Balls. Would like to see Miliband stay til 2015, and then if he loses, David step in and win by a landslide.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
They cocked up appointing him in the first place. They should have learnt from the Tory mistake of going for leaders that won't appeal outside of their party. Could be a long road back for Labour unless they appoint someone with more charisma.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here