Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

eBay WANKERS

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Further to my angry post last week about PayPal refusing to pay me my money for two turntables that I sold, until the buyer was completely satisfied, I have now had an e-mail from the CHANCER **** who bought them.

Knowing full well that he can't lose he has demanded I lower the price or he won't agree the transaction was satisfactory, even though he came and collected them yesterday and spent 40 minutes testing them out. I had to reschedule my day, staying in to wait for him, then offered him ample opportunity to put them through their paces to ensure he was satisfied with them both. They work PERFECTLY and the only minor damage to them is cosmetic, which he could not only see up close and personal on picking them up but also quite clearly in the numerous high-res photos I put up on eBay.

Yet because PayPal and eBay are so protective of the buyer he knows he can now spout any old rubbish to get money off or even get away without paying most likely. So he's told me there is a slight chip in one of them (well I don't remember it and it doesn't show in the photos which I took the DAY of the listing) and that one of the buttons doesn't work. Now I have no idea whether he's telling the truth or not but there's not an awful lot I can do about it as they're in his possession now and could well have a chip in the display and he may even have broken this button (that mysteriously worked PERFECTLY when last I used them) so how can I possibly prove in any dispute otherwise?

Furthermore when he did collect them, and after spending all this time trying them out, he refused my offer of additional packaging to ensure their safety in the boxes so if there IS any additional damage then it would more than likely have occurred in the boot of his car, rattling around inside old carboard boxes.

How can people get away with stuff like this? And what is my position now? I have no money and no decks.

I did ensure he signed a piece of paper acknowledging that he collected them from me before he left but it strikes me this is worthless if he is bitching about their condition or not being as advertised in an attempt to extort money from me.

And if I say fine, we'll cancel it and I'll have them back, what chance is there that he will speedily and safely ensure their return to me? And what guarantees do I have that they won't be in worse condition now? In fact what's his motivation to do anything other than argue?

I can't be expected to pay for their return, particularly as I can't afford to anyway, and is he really likely to drive all the way back here (from Milton Keynes) just to hand an angry man his goods back?

I'm literally SEETHING with a RAGE you cannot DREAM of.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Further to my angry post last week about PayPal refusing to pay me my money for two turntables that I sold, until the buyer was completely satisfied, I have now had an e-mail from the CHANCER **** who bought them.

Knowing full well that he can't lose he has demanded I lower the price or he won't agree the transaction was satisfactory, even though he came and collected them yesterday and spent 40 minutes testing them out. I had to reschedule my day, staying in to wait for him, then offered him ample opportunity to put them through their paces to ensure he was satisfied with them both. They work PERFECTLY and the only minor damage to them is cosmetic, which he could not only see up close and personal on picking them up but also quite clearly in the numerous high-res photos I put up on eBay.

Yet because PayPal and eBay are so protective of the buyer he knows he can now spout any old rubbish to get money off or even get away without paying most likely. So he's told me there is a slight chip in one of them (well I don't remember it and it doesn't show in the photos which I took the DAY of the listing) and that one of the buttons doesn't work. Now I have no idea whether he's telling the truth or not but there's not an awful lot I can do about it as they're in his possession now and could well have a chip in the display and he may even have broken this button (that mysteriously worked PERFECTLY when last I used them) so how can I possibly prove in any dispute otherwise?

Furthermore when he did collect them, and after spending all this time trying them out, he refused my offer of additional packaging to ensure their safety in the boxes so if there IS any additional damage then it would more than likely have occurred in the boot of his car, rattling around inside old carboard boxes.

How can people get away with stuff like this? And what is my position now? I have no money and no decks.

I did ensure he signed a piece of paper acknowledging that he collected them from me before he left but it strikes me this is worthless if he is bitching about their condition or not being as advertised in an attempt to extort money from me.

And if I say fine, we'll cancel it and I'll have them back, what chance is there that he will speedily and safely ensure their return to me? And what guarantees do I have that they won't be in worse condition now? In fact what's his motivation to do anything other than argue?

I can't be expected to pay for their return, particularly as I can't afford to anyway, and is he really likely to drive all the way back here (from Milton Keynes) just to hand an angry man his goods back?

I'm literally SEETHING with a RAGE you cannot DREAM of.

If he has accepted your item then he is legally obliged to pay the amount on Ebay. If you have this guy's address you can take him to a small claims court (down here obviously) and sue him for the money, I suggest you tell him that. You are not obliged to take the item back as he has accepted it.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
COD every day mate !!!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
If he has accepted your item then he is legally obliged to pay the amount on Ebay. If you have this guy's address you can take him to a small claims court (down here obviously) and sue him for the money, I suggest you tell him that. You are not obliged to take the item back as he has accepted it.

Now that's not a bad idea.

Particularly as I have his signed acceptance and he has also admitted via eBay correspondence that he came to pick them up.

He MIGHT have a case had I had them delivered BUT he saw and used them before taking them away.

But small claims court is not going to be quick and easy is it?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Particularly as I have his signed acceptance and he has also admitted via eBay correspondence that he came to pick them up.

He MIGHT have a case had I had them delivered BUT he saw and used them before taking them away.

Should be easy, maybe not so quick!

Ebay is useless now to sell anything, I gave up a long time ago!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

No, sadly it won't be but the threat of it plus the costs (including compensation for your time) quite often puts these bullshitters in their place. Just tell him that you will sue him not only for the full cost of the item but also want court cost and compensation. If he still argues tell him that when he loses (which he would) he will also wind up paying bailiffs charges if you need to use them to recover what you are owed.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Call his bluff. Small Claim Courts it.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Right. Good call guys.

Thanks for the advice

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
No, sadly it won't be but the threat of it plus the costs (including compensation for your time) quite often puts these bullshitters in their place. Just tell him that you will sue him not only for the full cost of the item but also want court cost and compensation. If he still argues tell him that when he loses (which he would) he will also wind up paying bailiffs charges if you need to use them to recover what you are owed.

you NEVER recover your full costs in the small claims court, and you have to pay for your aplication, how much does he owe you?

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
This is a 2 way street. I just bought a bit of electrical kit (too complex to get a demo!).

I went to pick it up and paid by cash.

Got it home and it dont work:nono:. I am now in e mail contact with the seller.

Good luck.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Knowing full well that he can't lose he has demanded I lower the price or he won't agree the transaction was satisfactory,

would seem to me that passing this on to ebay/paypal wouldnt hurt you either, as it sounds like blackmail.

SeagullinKent

Jul 7, 2003
Orpington
Just been reading about this on Moneysavingexpert, and they all say that if you do him a 1p refund then it will release the funds.

Not tried this myself but could be worth a shot!!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I sell quite a bit on ebay and collection have always been cash.
Why would someone pay by paypal and then collect, Had instances of a deposit by paypal, and balance in cash.

But have never use paypal and then collected, sounds if he was up to no good in the first place. If he has come from MK to i presume Brighton which is a 230 mile round trip? even the fuel cost minimum £25 and the hassle of the journey time. I assume it must have been a very expensive item of many £100's of pounds.

Also i have never experienced a payment being withheld until customer satisfied.

A bit late now, but who's idea was it to use Paypal and did you suggest cash on collection ?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
after the horse has bolted of course.... but any items i sell on ebay that are collected in person i always insist on CASH.

ABSOLUTELY. Always ask for cash on collection, BJ. But the small claims court is a very good avenue to pursue. He'll have to pay your costs, too, as far as I'm aware, so he'll be out of pocket big time. As long as you can prove to the court that you've been reasonable and not threatened him etc, it's highly likely you'll win.

What a ****. :angry: Good luck dude :thumbsup:

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
he's obviously trying to pull a fast one and the potential small claims court action will have him shitting himself and paying up.

i've been waiting on payment for a job i did 8 months ago with no luck at all. i sent a formal letter saying i was taking legal action in 3 days too, used all the right jargon, and guess what? cheque paid the next day.

reckon there's no chance he doesn't pay up after the threat, but if not the law is well on your side.

what a **** though!! some people, eh?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Well the goods went for a little over £500, and that's a good deal of money to me these days.

I would have been happy with cash on collection obviously but he paid by PayPal and THEN told me he'd rather prefer to collect. I didn't argue because frankly I hate dealing with couriers and it sounded much safer to deal with the guy in person. Don't know why I thought that now.

Wrote him a very fair repsonse to his nonsense explaining that he was being a little out of order and that if he had a problem he should have brought it up at the time etc. and unsurprisingly I've heard nothing back.

The problem is I really NEEDED a quick sale and now this is going to drag on for ages.

I'll never bother with selling on eBay again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here