Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ebay - grrrr

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
P.P.S. The picture was taken to promote last year's REMF Match when some of the players were decent enough to support the REMF Boys.

I notice that the seller hasn't got the f***ing decency to suggest that any of the proceeds from his thieving will be donated to REMF.

Scum!

Last edited:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Sledge hammer and rusty 9" nails in order me thinks? :eek: :lolol:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Just as well I had my picture taken with David Lee then.

The ebay eejit probably won't bother trying to flog a picture of David Lee!

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Race said:
Sledge hammer and rusty 9" nails in order me thinks? :eek: :lolol:

Not half!

Plus I'm already polishing a suitable pair of boots which will be used to AUTOGRAPH his sensitive areas after I've "tenderised" them with the hammer and nails.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I've asked a question to see if he owns up to any dodgy schenanigans. Don't want to give the game away just yet...

Can you confirm the quality of the picture please? Has it been cut from a magazine/program or is it the original?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Bozza said:
So what, exactly, are you going to do about this roz?

I have asked the seller, politely, whether he prefers the goalposts at the west or east end of the ground. :eek:

No, actually I have asked him how he came about the item given that I didn't recall authorising any resales.

It may be that it's been torn out of the programme. Although I still rather doubt it given that he quotes the size as 3" x 4" . Given that the addition of Mendoza adds at least another couple of inches to the image it'd have been reproduced at an unusually large size for the item it accompanied. Although, if my memory serves me right, the picture that appeared in the matchday programme had all the REMF boys in it with all their sponsors.

Even if it HAD come from the programme it doesn't make things fine and dandy since I don't assign my copyright to the club either! And whilst there's a thriving business in matchday programmes I don't think the club expect copyrighted snippets to be hacked out at will and sold in this manner.

So I've also reported the item to eBay and asked for its removal from sale.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair enough - think it may prove difficult to do a great deal without winning the auction and getting their details.

Although he's probably read this by now!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Just wondering from your long post Roz, or anyone else who might know, would it have been techinically illegal if the bloke had printed the picture off the site, got it signed but didn't sell it?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
The bloke is based in Coventry so he probably isn't an Albion fan.

Looking at his other sales he just seems to get photos of celebrities and gets them signed. It would be interesting to see whether it is actually Dan Harding's signature.

He probably looks at lists of England Under 21 players and searches for pictures!!

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
In theory, yes, since he would have helped himself to an image without permission. However, the main issue is the RESALE of a copyright image and the moral right not to have your work cacked-up - because this does nothing at all for your repute as a photographer!

The stupid thing is that I'd always be happy to provide someone with a decent print at Albion "mates rates" if they wanted it signed by an Albion player. In fact I'd probably offer to get it signed for them!

Lots of of people download and print pictures off websites without permission. In 99% of all cases nothing will ever come of it and, to be honest, a web resolution image won't ever make a really decent print.

Not that this stops photographers keeping a very close eye out for anyone nicking their work!

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Virgo's Haircut said:
Speaking of Daniel Harding. I'd be more concerned about this one... eBay Link

:lolol: :lolol:

danielhardingcomedy3dv.jpg

Last edited:

sleepytom

Feb 3, 2004
marine parade
Withdean Wanderer said:
Just wondering from your long post Roz, or anyone else who might know, would it have been techinically illegal if the bloke had printed the picture off the site, got it signed but didn't sell it?
yes that would be illegal - you cannot print out pictures from the web without the express permission of the copyrite owner.

however selling a picture (signed or not) ripped out of a magazine (program, fanzine, whatever) isn't a breach of copyrite - i can sell you last weeks friday ad if i want to (and your stupid enough to buy it!) what i cannot do is sell you a photocopy of last weeks friday ad.

if the picture in question is an original cut out of the program then there is no law that says that it cannot be resold - if its a copy then its a breach of copyrite.

to take any futher legal action would probably cost more than any likely settelment would be worth - in short it is not worth persuing inderviduals for copyrite breaches unless they themselves have made significant profits from the sale of the copys or if the existance of the copys has had a seriously detromental impact upon sales from the original copyrite owner.

ebay themselevs have specific rules as to what can and cannot be traded though their site - this picture may well breach these rules in which case ebay will be reasnobly helpfull in terms of removing the listing and giving the seller a telling off.

http://help.ebay.co.uk/ikanisa/home...idedSearch&isFirstPage=true&Product=GPDT_both$both&searchString=copyrite&country=xx&baseUrl=

hope some of this info is of some use to someone...

ps roz is your broadband still working???

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Just out of interest, does copyright of photos count for private shots or just professional photographers.

Its just that I've had a problem with a guy on ebay nicking my text and photos on an item i've been selling and using them for his own advert (not related to any footballing matters - this was a series of text books I was selling) - really pissed me off that he couldn't be bothered to take his own photos and string a sentence together.

sleepytom

Feb 3, 2004
marine parade
yes you do have copyrite on your pictures and advert text despite not being a "professional"

i've had text i've written on review sites stolen and used by people as there ebay adverts many times now. i have got quite annoyed by this too (mainly coz they didn't bother to email and ask me - i wouldn't object if they could be bothered to ask) - i've taken to contacting them via the "ask seller a question" link and explaining that i'm happy to licence the text to them for 10% of the final auction total - so far i've recived a couple of rude emails but no money so its only really worth it for the frustration venting humor aspect! i've not bothered to complain to ebay so i can't tell you what their angle would be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here